U.S. Army to scrap pixel-camo uniforms.

rustywings

Here is the Navy version NWU-I. I really dislike these.

post-10825-1340812407.jpg

You gotta admit, you could nap on the deck and no one would know unless they stepped on you.

combat-helmets
I hated the Black Berets for all of the Army, I hated the Digital ACU's, I hate the non leather boots, I hate the velcro patches, I hate the lower standards, and lastly I HATED the "Army of ONE" nonsense!

Whew! Ok I feel better now.

Like that ! :thumbsup:

Choice of colors used was and is the issue, the colors chosen don't even work in the areas intended for let alone as a multi cam.

We never went to war in the areas of the Caspian and the Caucasus for which the ACU pattern was designed. But if any member happens to be visiting Baku, take an ACU garment into the field and report back to us.

I just want to ask those who know more about this subject than I do- will there honestly be heaps of ACU pattern clothing in surplus stores or militaria shows since they're being scrapped? I wish there would be, but I don't really know what to make out of this :think: .

Its called X camo .

579284_352773641438254_1574176407_n.jpg

Yes, that looks like it! Or at least a real close match.

What ever became of that pattern?

Yes, that looks like it! Or at least a real close match.

What ever became of that pattern?

Original sets show up on ebay from time to time , and Truspec or one of the other mainstream manufactures makes a copy of it . I dont know if any of these manufactures are still in production of this pattern .

The real cost is not in changing the uniform, they wear out fairly quickly and are not that expensive. The real cost is all the other stuff, parkas, body armor, MOLLE gear, rucksacks, ECWCS, rain gear, and on and on. This stuff lasts a really long time and its very expensive compared to the cost of the uniforms. I have several thousand dollars worth in two boxes down my basement that I have been issued. Much of it will be serviceable for a decade or more for the average soldier, less for the Infantry and other combat arms. This is the real waste.

In my opinion, this is the Army trying to again re-invent its image and its search for an effective recruiting gimmick.

Mercenary25
Its called X camo .

579284_352773641438254_1574176407_n.jpg

Actually, mirage pattern is different. The X-camo is basically pixeled multicam.

Here is a picture of mirage pattern. Always wanted a set but never could afford it!

4011404643fb1fac40c7b.jpg

mirage_2ptap.jpg

Mercenary , I was replying to this quote from post #2 the quote I used was a follow up.

The pattern actually works quite well, if they would just get the colors right. I have always said that if they pixelated the colors of MultiCam, it would be a great uniform/pattern

Below is the follow up I quoted.

Such an animal does exist, or close to it.

I own a used set of the Mirage camouflage that was given to certain battalions of the 3rd Special Forces Group for testing. Pattern is good, but the uniform needs to have a few tweaks in my opinion. That being said, mine is one of the earlier models and I think the owner of Mirage may have rectified those issues.

Based on the original post, I don't think calling this a $5 billion mistake is very accurate. I am no fan of the uniform but all these uniforms and equipment were not made and then not issued. These things were issued and worn hard in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world. The Army would be issuing uniforms regardless of the pattern so the cost would be pretty common to UCP or any other pattern. As I stated in an earlier post the waste comes with the other gear items that have a long shelf life.

From a collectors perspective, the UCP ACU and FRACU variant were the dominate uniform worn in both wars. The three color DCU was on its way out in 2005/2006 and the OCP Multicam uniform in Afghanistan did not come into wide use until 2010. The problem for a collector is that the velcro issue removes all the history from the uniform. The new regulations that allow sew on name, skill badges, etc. came out when Iraq was almost over so the majority of the uniforms that actually saw service will just be a stripped clean ACU FRACU in a surplus store. The only way to get the real deal will be to get it from the soldier who wore it. This will certainly make it tough for future collectors since any uniform can be badged up with any insignia very easily.

SEABEEBRIAN
Based on the original post, I don't think calling this a $5 billion mistake is very accurate. I am no fan of the uniform but all these uniforms and equipment were not made and then not issued. These things were issued and worn hard in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world. The Army would be issuing uniforms regardless of the pattern so the cost would be pretty common to UCP or any other pattern. As I stated in an earlier post the waste comes with the other gear items that have a long shelf life.

From a collectors perspective, the UCP ACU and FRACU variant were the dominate uniform worn in both wars. The three color DCU was on its way out in 2005/2006 and the OCP Multicam uniform in Afghanistan did not come into wide use until 2010. The problem for a collector is that the velcro issue removes all the history from the uniform. The new regulations that allow sew on name, skill badges, etc. came out when Iraq was almost over so the majority of the uniforms that actually saw service will just be a stripped clean ACU FRACU in a surplus store. The only way to get the real deal will be to get it from the soldier who wore it. This will certainly make it tough for future collectors since any uniform can be badged up with any insignia very easily.

You're right with regard to the army and DCUs but the Navy still issues and uses the DCUs. There are a lot of sailors wearing both the ACUs and the multicams so there should be quite a lot of collecting varieties.

VolunteerArmoury
1116600[/url]']

A side note to slightly establishing provenance to the ACUs & FRACUs, I gave a friend a set of my FRACUs that I wore in the box and I wrote my unit, name, last four, & even months/years it was worn with a laundry marker in it so he'll have that record but I know most will not have that at all. Most I get from my buddies I ask them to do the same for me especially if they don't have extra insignia. Probably no big deal to most that I did that but my friend appreciated it.

EDIT TO ADD: Perhaps we need another thread on this...although it does follow the "pixellated camo" theme...

Mirage was THE most effective camo we tested for our AOR, in any season. I believe that costs are what kept it from being adopted.

The uniforms we had were the first and second versions. Specifically, I recall that the shoulders (and I believe knees and elbows) were made of material that I can only describe as very dense fabric that felt like the surface of a basketball...all small dimples. I think that was the same on both. There was some change in the pants between two versions, but I forgot what it was.

Below are links to my Photobucket page, where I have chosen to keep the Mirage photos up just for such purposes as this discussion. I had been selling every set that I had, as well as my co-workers', on eBay, before a very helpful member of this forum explained to me how special they are (you know who you are...and I know you are reading this thread ;) ), so from now on I plan to keep the pieces I get my hands on.

The only thing I have kept is the initial correspondence and envelope from Bulldog, when I was sent the first shipment to begin the evaluation. Someone on eBay questioned where I got the uniforms, so I sent him a copy of the letter, and decided to keep it around in case that happened again.

Note the white/transparent things that look almost like food handling mittens...those are the elbow and knee inserts that came with the uniforms. They were not very effective.

Album 1, showing Mirage

Album Page 2, showing Mirage

Album Page 3, showing Mirage

EDITED TO ADD, LATER:

I still have an account with Bulldog, and as was mentioned, the uniforms may have changed a bit. Here are the details, cut-and-pasted directly from their site, of the latest iteration of Mirage tops and trousers (you need to be vetted and have an account and password in order to log in):

DESCRIPTION

Mirage Camo Combat Pants have been redesigned to prevent wear in critical areas and easy access to interior pockets.

• Optional ankle, cargo, rear and thigh pockets

• Reinforced fabric at bottom of pants to prevent wear and tear

• Reinforced fabric to prevent pocket knife deterioration

• Optional MOLLE system

• Internal IR stroke pockets within the thigh pocket

• Drainage system allowing pockets to drain immediately with no delay

• Reinforced crotch area

Mirage Camo uniforms are guaranteed to last a full rotation and free repairs are provided.

Made in the USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION

The Mirage Camo Sniper Combat Pants have been redesigned to prevent wear in critical areas and easy access to pockets.

• Ankle, cargo and 2 rear pockets

• Exterior padded pocket stretching from high ankle to crotch area, removable pads included. (Reinforced fabric)

• Webbing stirrup attachment system to prevent riding of pant during crawling operations.

• Reinforced fabric at bottom of pants to prevent wear and tear

• Reinforced fabric to prevent pocket knife deterioration

• Optional MOLLE system

• Internal IR stroke pockets within the thigh pocket

• Drainage system allowing pockets to drain immediately with no delay

• Reinforced crotch area

* Recommended Pocket Configuration: Molle Webbing Loops, 2 Back Pockets, Hip and Ankle Pockets all with Button Enclosures. (Currently In-Stock)

Mirage Camo uniforms are guaranteed to last a full rotation and free repairs are provided.

Made in the USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION

The Garrison Top has been redesigned to increase efficiency, reduce points of irritation as well as increase comfort.

• Reinforced fabric placed on elbows and shoulders to increase comfort

• Reinforced fabric to keep combat equipment in place during movement

• Extra large BDU shoulder pockets

• Removable padding on elbow and shoulder pockets

• Ergonomically correct elbow pads designed to be used at the prone position (padding is included).

• Additional forearm pocket designed for range cards

• Chest pockets which are accessible underneath body armor

• 2 chest pockets with entrance located at chest level

• 2 Pen/ Glow stick pockets located on top of the each forearm

• Optional PTT cable pocket on the either arm starting at ones wrist running the length of the arm to a junction box pocket.

• Optional internal earpiece pocket

• All pockets have option of a buttons or velcro closure system

Made in the USA

DESCRIPTION

The Summer Combat Top has been redesigned to increase efficiency, reduce points of irritation as well as increase comfort.

• Reinforced fabric placed on elbows and shoulders to increase comfort

• Reinforced fabric to keep combat equipment in place during movement

• Extra large BDU shoulder pockets

• Removable padding on elbow and shoulder pockets

• Ergonomically correct elbow pads designed to be used at the prone position (padding is included).

• Additional forearm pocket designed for range cards

• Zipper collar

• 2 Pen/ Glow stick pockets located on top of the each forearm

• Optional PTT cable pocket on the either arm starting at ones wrist running the length of the arm to a junction box pocket.

• Optional internal earpiece pocket

• All pockets have option of a buttons or velcro closure system

Made in the USA

Constabulary

Why not choosing the USMC MARPAT Pattern (Woodland, Desert and Winter) for the entire US Forces? The logistical problems are solved then. Wasn't that one of the ideas of the BDU Woodland pattern back then? I don´t think they will ever find the "one and only" camouflage pattern - never ever.

Why not choosing the USMC MARPAT Pattern (Woodland, Desert and Winter) for the entire US Forces? The logistical problems are solved then. Wasn't that one of the ideas of the BDU Woodland pattern back then? I don´t think they will ever find the "one and only" camouflage pattern - never ever.

You mean the Army concede that the USMCs gear is superior!? It ain't goin' to happen! :lol:

You mean the Army concede that the USMCs gear is superior!? It ain't goin' to happen! :lol:

Actually, I think the Corps copyrighted the pattern.

I am always amazed at how much money the USA can waste on the multiple different uniforms for the different services that operate in the same area. How much information can you give the enemy with all the different uniforms??????? Find a uniform that works eg the USMC MARPAT and roll it out across the US Defence Forces - ALL OF THEM! You save money, you don't give the bad guys an easy way of telling who they are up against and and you show you all belong to the ONE country, not your own little fiefdoms as it currently is.

That so much money can be spent on an obviously poor colour selection and design (velcro??? really???) with it being issued for combat is a crime to me.

Constabulary
Actually, I think the Corps copyrighted the pattern.

A Copyright inside the US Military? THAT is REALLY stupid! What are they trying to protect? I wonder who has the copyright on 5.56 ammo. Are the Marines and the Army allowed to use the same ammo? :rolleyes:

I am always amazed at how much money the USA can waste on the multiple different uniforms for the different services that operate in the same area. How much information can you give the enemy with all the different uniforms??????? Find a uniform that works eg the USMC MARPAT and roll it out across the US Defence Forces - ALL OF THEM! You save money, you don't give the bad guys an easy way of telling who they are up against and and you show you all belong to the ONE country, not your own little fiefdoms as it currently is.

That so much money can be spent on an obviously poor colour selection and design (velcro??? really???) with it being issued for combat is a crime to me.

You hit it - thats what I mean! The "mine is bigger than yours" thing in the military is quite stupid since they are all fighting the same war for the same country!