• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#176 bvelke

bvelke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,774
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Well, this is a shame but the archivist at the Hagley Library says that she's looked for any reference to Gettysburg in the BB&B collection and the only thing that she found was this in a ledger book:

gb1913.jpg

It says "Joint catch and stem" and "Sell bronze xx ea."

IOW, nothing about 1938.

She said that the records are much more complete for anything that had a precious stone in it.

There are many boxes and she looked in what she thought were the most logical places - but there are a lot more records to go through.  So I still plan to get up there when I can.

#177 vonmoen

vonmoen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,824
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

My GG Grandfather served with the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry during the war, and although his unit didn't fight at Gettysburg he was part of a group of Pennsylvania Veterans that were invited to attend the 50th Anniversary. I'd like to take a trip to the Pennsylvania archives someday to see if I could dig up anything.

#178 SCF-Collector

SCF-Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,293
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the update from the Hagley Library Bob. It might not have been what we were hoping for, but it might still have been an information "score".

The sketch in the document you posted, I think, might just lend some support to a piece of mine that I've posted before. How's this for similar?

RC-Top-Front-2.jpg

It's so distinct, from the large-to-small-back-to-large lettering to the shape and catch/loop configuration.  That top bar is from this previously posted piece.

RC-Medal-Front-Full.jpg

The Red Cross Service medal that is the drop of this medal was made by BB&B. It's marked on the reverse BB&B / Phila / Bronze.

What I think is that someone had these tops made by BB&B to go with the Red Cross Service medal for the Nurses that served at the 1913 Gettysburg Reunion. I don't see on the document who ordered the item, but I'd be willing to bet it was for the Red Cross Nurses.  The resemblance is uncanny - and it's a rather unique design for the top bar. Maybe it was used for other pieces - who knows - but it sure seems to fit my theory regarding the RC piece.

What do you think?

#179 bvelke

bvelke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,774
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

What I think is that someone had these tops made by BB&B to go with the Red Cross Service medal for the Nurses that served at the 1913 Gettysburg Reunion. I don't see on the document who ordered the item, but I'd be willing to bet it was for the Red Cross Nurses.  The resemblance is uncanny - and it's a rather unique design for the top bar. Maybe it was used for other pieces - who knows - but it sure seems to fit my theory regarding the RC piece.

It sure looks like it to me.  I'm glad something good came of that research.  Baby steps forward...

I'll probably see you later today.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)