What the heck?

coastie

Found this little drawing with a bunch of Coast Guard stuff that I'll post later. It appears to be a SeaBee variant drawing that someone was thinking about or that was already out there. Has anyone ever seen this before?

post-87-1200965203.jpg

my guess is someone drew it up as an unofficial unit symbol. It happens all the time these days, and I'm sure it was no different then

my guess is someone drew it up as an unofficial unit symbol. It happens all the time these days, and I'm sure it was no different then

I suspect you're right, but here are some clues.

This was with paperwork I found that belonged to a coastie who served on a ship in the Pacific, unable to find out what it was at the moment. But! I have the name of the coastie, his date of service, service number, a news paper clipping how he was at the invasion of Morotai Island and Leyte. The kicker is this: there is a hand written note of what looks like his Pacific tour in order starting at Government Island and returning to San Francisco. In the list are the following places:

New Hebrides

Espiritos Santos

New Guinea

Milne Bay

Larzanac bay ?

Auk bay?

Humpalt bay ?

Hauldandia ?

Biak Island

Maendoe Island ?

New Amsterdam

Morotai Island

Philippines (Leyte Island)

Manus Island

Admiralty Island

Pearl Harbor

San Francisco

The question marks are for spelling I have to verify these places.

With all of these places I should be able to guess the ship he was on.

Also he was the Gunner's mate which kind of explains the "nose gun"

Coastie, I think the 2 middle misspells are Humboldt Bay and Hollandia, both in the New Guinea area. You might want to check on the history of the USS Burlington, a PF or Frigate that was manned by a Coast Guard crew. It would make sense for the nickname 'Burly Bee'. Hope this helps, Mark.

Coastie, I think the 2 middle misspells are Humboldt Bay and Hollandia, both in the New Guinea area. You might want to check on the history of the USS Burlington, a PF or Frigate that was manned by a Coast Guard crew. It would make sense for the nickname 'Burly Bee'. Hope this helps, Mark.

Mark This is good! looking at the Burlington's cruise on the CG history page it jives with the list, and the use of Burly Bee fits as you say. I found the mis spells but I'm confused about "New Amsterdam" can't find any Asian reference to it. Could be something known by another name.

Thanks this makes the second good find of the day, the first was finding this stuff.