Colonel Vincent W Bezich 501st Airborne

jim2

This is a artillery officers dress blue uniform that I had purchased from a fellow forum member. The uniform is named to Vincent (went by bill) W Bezich. Col Bezich was an 1st Sgt with the 501st from Jan 43 to Apr 45, and then went on to become an officer. Col Bezich fought in Normandy,Holland, & Bastogne. He was wounded 3 times in WWII. Post war he became an Artillery officer and although he did not go to Korea he did serve in Vietnam. This was a uniform he probably wore from the late 50's up until his retirement in the early 1970's. This uniform came void of any insignia and I am in the process of restoring it.

heres the uniform:

post-100-1200952097.jpg

A close up of his ribbons:

post-100-1200952591.jpg

Whats interesting is that even though he was entitled to the Belgian & French fourragere he did not wear them. He was also entitled to an aircraft crewman's badge but did not wear it.

Small World!

I think this is your guy. Bezich is such a unique name, I could never forget it. I got this off Ebay years ago when the Vietnam section was reasonable. The seller had 3 or 4 auction listing items from the estate sale. I only got one of the jackets but I think it was the best. This was his jacket as an LTC. I know this becasue the original rank and BOS are embroidered directly underneath the existing machine made tabs.

bezich1.jpg

Small World!

I think this is your guy. Bezich is such a unique name, I could never forget it. I got this off Ebay years ago when the Vietnam section was reasonable. The seller had 3 or 4 auction listing items from the estate sale. I only got one of the jackets but I think it was the best. This was his jacket as an LTC. I know this becasue the original rank and BOS are embroidered directly underneath the existing machine made tabs.

Wow it is a small world. I have no doubt that this was his. that is a great piece I love the custom embroidery.

Jim,

Please keep us informed on your restoration project. I'd love to see how it develops.

Cheers,

Steve

Well here is his re-created ribbon bar (minus devices) so far. I spaced them apart because looking at his photo that was how he pinned on his ribbons.

post-100-1200971853.jpg

post-100-1200971875.jpg

What do you guys think so far?

Well here is his re-created ribbon bar (minus devices) so far. I spaced them apart because looking at his photo that was how he pinned on his ribbons.

post-100-1200971853.jpg

post-100-1200971875.jpg

What do you guys think so far?

Coming along beautifully so far. Good work, Jim thumbsup.gif

Jeff C thanks for the thumbs up. Here is the ribbon bar updated with devices(except the palm's for the croix de guerre's).

post-100-1201055849.jpg

Good work, Jim :) I especially like that you have the Oak Leaves flanking the "V" on the Bronze Star ribbon, exactly like they are in the picture of Colonel Bezich.

Good work, Jim I especially like that you have the Oak Leaves flanking the "V" on the Bronze Star ribbon, exactly like they are in the picture of Colonel Bezich.

Thanks Jeff I tried to recreate it just like the photo.

Very nice!

Thanks River Patrol

Well done!!

Best regards,

Ricardo

Thanks ricardo

What a great job of trying to not only recreate but to stay as close to the original photo as possible. Thanks for sharing this great project.

Are the mounted on individual ribbon bars, metal, plastic?

4starchris

What a great job of trying to not only recreate but to stay as close to the original photo as possible. Thanks for sharing this great project.

Are the mounted on individual ribbon bars, metal, plastic?

4starchris

4starchris thanks for the compliment, I not only wanted to restore the history, but do it correctly & am very pleased with the outcome so far. The ribbons are mounted on metal & are all 60's vintage.

Looks super!

Thanks usmcraidergirl, I am glad to be able to return it's history.

Jim,

Did the previous owner have any other uniforms from Bezich? I know it's a long shot but I guess his stuff got scattered to the winds!

Steve

• 2 years later...

I knew Bill Bezich when he was a young Cpt in 1952 he was a great officer and tru gentelman. His troops came first. When we were in the field Bill and the 1st sgt were the last ones to eat he would also engage in contact sports with the EM. I still have unit pictures with Bill in them. By the way his name came from Yougo.

Kurt Barickman

In your records, is this the Bezich from Minnesota in his later years?? Possibly dying here in the state? If so, a box of his items came out of a flea market in Minnesota and there are other things out there if memory serves me correctly. :think:

Kurt Barickman

River Patrol

Any pictures of him in the field or elsewhere would be really great!

Thanks

Steve

I knew Bill Bezich when he was a young Cpt in 1952 he was a great officer and tru gentelman. His troops came first. When we were in the field Bill and the 1st sgt were the last ones to eat he would also engage in contact sports with the EM. I still have unit pictures with Bill in them. By the way his name came from Yougo.

• 1 year later...
This is a artillery officers dress blue uniform that I had purchased from a fellow forum member. The uniform is named to Vincent (went by bill) W Bezich. Col Bezich was an 1st Sgt with the 501st from Jan 43 to Apr 45, and then went on to become an officer. Col Bezich fought in Normandy,Holland, & Bastogne. He was wounded 3 times in WWII. Post war he became an Artillery officer and although he did not go to Korea he did serve in Vietnam. This was a uniform he probably wore from the late 50's up until his retirement in the early 1970's. This uniform came void of any insignia and I am in the process of restoring it.

heres the uniform:

post-100-1200952097.jpg

Col. Bezich and my dad were good friends while stationed together at Ft. Meade Md. Sadly, Col. Bezich passed away in 2003 and is buried at Arlington Nat'l. Cemetery. Col. Bezich told me the story of him jumping into Normandy as a 19y/o 1sgt., getting wounded and other exploits. He was very humble and a true hero. My dad loved him like a brother.