Photo

1942 Ford GPW Jeep Restoration - Well I've gone and done it.

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#276 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,470
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Been a while since I've posted here, and a while since I've worked on the jeep.  She's still doing alright, and I've gotten a number of patch panels cut for the floor, etc.  My jeep budget crapped out last summer when my wife's car died, so in a year's time we went from no car payments to two.  Bye bye jeep budget.  But, I'm making progress nonetheless.  Should have the rear axle back together shortly with new brake cylinders and shoes.  I'll post pics when I can.

J

#277 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

Jon, Looking forward to seeing updated photos!

#278 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Still going. 

Hit a minor snag when I realized I purchased .020 over pistons instead of .040 over, so I've gotta tear the engine apart again and switch out the pistons.  Joy. 

Rear axle is done.  Working on getting the brake lines installed and should have that done this weekend.  Once the new pistons are purchased and installed, I should be ready to start her up. 

I've cut a lot of the bad metal out of the tub and have good metal to patch in.  Lots of welding ahead.....

J

#279 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Wow, it's been almost a year since I posted on here. In that time, I sent the engine out to be rebuilt, reinstalled it as have been working slowly but surely to get the tub back together. Ready for first start this weekend!

#280 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

I was just looking at this thread last week, wondering how things were coming along.  Take a lot of photos as you progress, and please share them here. Everyone loves seeing projects come to a finish.

#281 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

I'll shoot video of the first start attempt. Not sure if it'll be tomorrow or Sunday.

#282 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Saturday we got everything ready to go.  Had some minor issues, but we got the engine turning on the 75th anniversary of Race Horse's date of delivery!  We'll add gas to the mix tomorrow and hopefully will have a running jeep by day's end!

J

#283 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Well, both me and the project are still alive. 

Life's been busy and the jeep's been on hold for a bit, since my wife has started a new business.  Now that that's starting to be self sustaining, I'm getting some time and funding to get back to the jeep. 

When last I posted, I don't think I'd actually had the engine turning over.  It's actually cranked a bit, but the starter isn't producing enough kick to get it going.  Gotta get the starter rebuilt and try it again.  Also just made a deal for a complete tub in better shape than mine.  Ultimately I will restore Race Horse's original tub, but this will get me on the road faster, and it's a correct 42 GPW tub with intact flooring.  I'm working on installing the front brakes now.  Should have them complete within the next couple weeks (still have a lot going on!)

I'll post pics when I can.

J

#284 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

but the starter isn't producing enough kick to get it going.  Gotta get the starter rebuilt and try it again.

J

Something you probably know to do (but it is a good idea to bring it up anyway) is that the starting system on these old flat fenders really needs to have a very good ground to allow the starter to function properly. Sometimes it is the starter that needs to be rebuilt, but sometimes it's a bad ground connection that is the cause of slow or sluggish starters. Make sure you have the proper ground locations cleaned, and the ones that require it tinned. Best to check that, and even if you had cleaned them when you first started your project, it is possible for rust or corrosion to form in just the right amount to impact the ground; even in only a few years time if you live someplace with a lot of rain or humidity. If you are missing ground straps, that can also affect things with the starter too.

#285 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thanks RC! Yeah Ive gotta double check my grounding straps. Pretty sure Ive got everything, but as you said, theyre really finicky.

I did take a major step forward today though. Got a 42 GPW tub thats in far better shape than mine. It needs some minor metal work and will be able to pretty much drop onto my frame.

Baby steps!

Attached Images

• 5F92F04A-1ABF-4C0C-B2FE-E2FF6C046E81.jpeg

#286 aznation

aznation

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 97,747
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

^

Attached Images

• c1.jpg

#287 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks AZ!

Tub's home and I've started cleaning it up.  Gotta get it blasted and do some minor metal work on it. 

More to follow in two weeks since this weekend is the Heartland Militaria Show. 

#288 tikifrei

tikifrei
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,558
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

Great project!  Keep plugging along.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users