WWII Industrial Facilities

bilko1

General Apathy

To Bilko / Dave, Thanks Dave for that link to the industrial Facilities site, fantastic find, just the background stuff I enjoy. see you at Stoneliegh. Lewis

I think it would be very hard to make a COMPLETE list,I have noticed that the clothing makers are not on there!.

Still a good refernce for US thumbsup.gif

has any one got a list of clothing mfg's at all?

yes i'll see you there ken :D I've been told theres no freezing tunnel any more[hoo rah].

Cheers,

Dave.

craig_pickrall

I'm not sure exactly what categories they have for that list. I live in Virginia so checked some known cities.

The very first plant to make nylon was a Dupont Plant in Martinsville, VA. That was in 1937 if memory serves. It is not listed.

Roanoke, VA is a huge rail center. It manufactures rail cars and possibly engines. There is much other heavy industry there as well. None is listed.

Lynchburg, VA (my home town) had something like 7 shoe manufacturing plants that made military footwear of all types. Not listed. Hosery plants that made socks, not listed. Foundries that make all sorts of casting, not listed. Much other heavy industry and garment manufacturers, not listed.

I'm not sure exactly what categories they have for that list. I live in Virginia so checked some known cities.

The very first plant to make nylon was a Dupont Plant in Martinsville, VA. That was in 1937 if memory serves. It is not listed.

Roanoke, VA is a huge rail center. It manufactures rail cars and possibly engines. There is much other heavy industry there as well. None is listed.

Lynchburg, VA (my home town) had something like 7 shoe manufacturing plants that made military footwear of all types. Not listed. Hosery plants that made socks, not listed. Foundries that make all sorts of casting, not listed. Much other heavy industry and garment manufacturers, not listed.

even with the u.s contractors its hard but add the over seas ones as well[gulp]

Still a good basis to start with :) I know des moines[sp] was a big web gear[harnes]makers area[boyt,dm shoe&glove].

Dave.

The criteria for these facilities is they received government funds to acquire manufacturing equipment and facilities. In many cases there was little or no existing facilities that could manufacture needed war materials.

Companies that were already in business, for example garment manufacturers, and had existing facilities to manufacture garments didn't require funds to expand to met demand. Some of these companies not only made garments but web gear and other sewn items. On the other hand the existing manufacturers of firearms were busy with ordnance materials and expanding as fast as possible. Companies like Singer Sewing Machine and Smith-Corona Typewriter, that naver made any kind of odnance were assisted in setting up to manufacture equipment for which additional facilities were required.

The War Production Board was responsible for coordinating facilities and material to achieve production goals. The Board was composed of leading industralists with the experience to set up facilities, and to prioritize and allocate materials.

The criteria for these facilities is they received government funds to acquire manufacturing equipment and facilities. In many cases there was little or no existing facilities that could manufacture needed war materials.

Companies that were already in business, for example garment manufacturers, and had existing facilities to manufacture garments didn't require funds to expand to met demand. Some of these companies not only made garments but web gear and other sewn items. On the other hand the existing manufacturers of firearms were busy with ordnance materials and expanding as fast as possible. Companies like Singer Sewing Machine and Smith-Corona Typewriter, that naver made any kind of odnance were assisted in setting up to manufacture equipment for which additional facilities were required.

The War Production Board was responsible for coordinating facilities and material to achieve production goals. The Board was composed of leading industralists with the experience to set up facilities, and to prioritize and allocate materials.

this explains alot, thank for clearing that up