Amazing Vietnam Helicopter Door Gunner Group

manayunkman

manayunkman
Here is My Dads patch from the Cobra era

scan0002.jpg

Really cool. There are some Cobra photos in this group. In one of the photos you can see the nose of one with a turret for a grenade launcher. I think that is what it is.

memphismeister
That beer can is AWESOME.

Its not a beer can, its about 6 inches wide. was told it went on the helicopter

memphismeister
It could also be from a plaque. Very nice no matter what purpose.

I showed it to some former pilots and they said it had been on the helicopter as a plate

• 3 months later...

Here is a picture of " Skip " holding his M-60. He looks so young like Dennis the Menace. He is just a kid.

Notice the rocket pods and mini guns. These were on both sides. They were ready to TEAR IT UP !!

Great grouping! Just wanted to let you know Skip was a friend during Vietnam in the 334th AHC Raider platoon. I was also a doorgunner in this unit during 1967 and 1968 with prior action in the 101st Airborne, 1/327 Inf, A Company, 3rd Platoon during 1966 and 1967 and carried an M-60. Do you have contact information about Skip? The 334th AHC has reunions every now and then and would like to invite Skip.

In this installment there are two 334th pocket patches that were never worn. One is subdued and the other is in color. Both appear to be Vietnam made.

His Purple Heart was awarded for wounds received while with the Wolfhounds.

Note the 2 beer can Yosemite Sam insignia as well as the photo of him standing next to the Raider sign. In this photo he is wearing the jungle jacket with the 334th pocket patch.

Another highlight of this picture is the photo of Heilig sitting in the helicopter. His ship had rocket pods and mini guns on both sides.

The TWA swizzle stick is from his flight back to the world.

The top right picture is Skip and Rick McCurry (crew chief doorgunner). The one on the bottom left appears to be Kent Moore (left) Skip (center) and I think that may be me (Tom Coffield) on the right. Are individual items for sale or the whole group?

Great grouping! Just wanted to let you know Skip was a friend during Vietnam in the 334th AHC Raider platoon. I was also a doorgunner in this unit during 1967 and 1968 with prior action in the 101st Airborne, 1/327 Inf, A Company, 3rd Platoon during 1966 and 1967 and carried an M-60. Do you have contact information about Skip? The 334th AHC has reunions every now and then and would like to invite Skip.

I am sorry but he moved away.

He used to live in Fishing Creek Valley right on Fishing Creek Rd.

Thanks for posting.

Unrelated question, but in researching my dad's friend that was in the 155th (Stagecoach) Assault Helicopter Company, I found a site with lots of pictures. Everybody is wearing the shoulder insignia with the eagle and the sword. I have no idea what this insignia is. Probably a stupid question, but it'd sure help out, as I would like to have a few.

vintageproductions

Unrelated question, but in researching my dad's friend that was in the 155th (Stagecoach) Assault Helicopter Company, I found a site with lots of pictures. Everybody is wearing the shoulder insignia with the eagle and the sword. I have no idea what this insignia is. Probably a stupid question, but it'd sure help out, as I would like to have a few.

1st aviation brigade