Amazing Vietnam Helicopter Door Gunner Group

manayunkman

manayunkman

I finally after many years acquired the last part of this group over the weekend. I got the helmet and flight suite.

Mr. Heilig served 2 tours in Vietnam. The first was with the 25th ID and the second was with the 334th.

Some very interesting stories go with this group.

But first the provenance.

post-51189-1339468499.jpg

manayunkman

While with the 25th he served with the " WolfHounds ". You can see some theater made 25th and Wolfhound insignia.

The 334th pocket patch came from his jungle jacket ( you will see it worn in one of the pictures) and shows some wear. Looks to me like it is Vietnam made.

post-51189-1339469098.jpg

manayunkman

In this installment there are two 334th pocket patches that were never worn. One is subdued and the other is in color. Both appear to be Vietnam made.

His Purple Heart was awarded for wounds received while with the Wolfhounds.

Note the 2 beer can Yosemite Sam insignia as well as the photo of him standing next to the Raider sign. In this photo he is wearing the jungle jacket with the 334th pocket patch.

Another highlight of this picture is the photo of Heilig sitting in the helicopter. His ship had rocket pods and mini guns on both sides.

The TWA swizzle stick is from his flight back to the world.

post-51189-1339469904.jpg

manayunkman

The back of his flight overalls which must have previously belonged to an officer. There are also patches on the front but I haven't taken those pictures yet.

post-51189-1339470422.jpg

manayunkman

A very large marked up map and a photo of the flight line. I promise that I will post more close ups of the insignia and photos as soon as I take the pictures.

post-51189-1339471068.jpg

manayunkman

Details of his 25th ID jungle jacket.

Note the photo with the psychedelic mural. That is the inside of his hootch.

post-51189-1339471280.jpg

manayunkman

That is all for now. I am going back to the camera to take some more pictures to post.

Hope you enjoy it so far and please leave any kind of comment.

AAF_Collection

Just super! there can't be many who were able to bring home back so much gear? thanks for sharing.

Matt.

CNY Militaria

Wow, nothing better than vet direct! What a complete and important group. :thumbsup:

Justin

Corpsmancollector

This is an A+ grouping with super provenance, so many unique and interesting items! Well done M :thumbsup:

Will

Not normally a Vietnam collector, but this one is a cool group.

If the vet is alive, you ought to do an oral history with him to round it out.....then it would be over the top.