Things we collect...That have a military connection

doyler

This figure is carved an in laid into the handle.It appears it may have been articulated at one time as there is a hole carved through the handle fron the back like a lever was there to make the figure move.

post-342-1340857526.jpg

post-342-1340857631.jpg

Great items Ron, and a great thread!

I am very familiar with the POW's in our part of the world - they were everywhere in the southern part of MN! Great story behind the chairs. I have always wondered what sort of things they made or had and left behind.

MW

RD,

A very nice C.W. cane!

It does seem that these canes were a somewhat common remembrance of C.W. Service.

The fact that it "Appears RL Martin served in Co D Colored Infantry" would have a lot of desirability/appeal, for those that collect Colored C.W. items; besides outside "cross-over" interest.

I have a one that was also carved in or after the Civil War.

It is dated "1861" (very prominently carved), has bas relief carved elements, and painted embellishments. In addition, the maker used several naturally occurring "pierced" sections with a high degree of skill and artistic interpretation.

After much research, I was able to find that:

Michael Cribbins (AKA Mike Orion) was born in Ireland in 1839 and died in Michigan in 1917.

I found that he was in Co. A / 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment , during the Civil War.

He carved "ORION WAR of 1861, CO. A 7", on another one of his canes (he likely carved over fifty), which gave me more info to go on.

That "1861" date seems to reference his service during the War.

I had contacted a noted collector of these "folk art" canes, (who also had written a book on the subject, with "Mike Orion" having a chapter devoted to his work), and part of his reply was, "The '1861' date on your cane is probably not the date that the cane was carved."

I believe that, in fact, "1861" was a pivotal point in his life; I found that he had been seriously WIA, in that year.

I also found info in the U.S. Congressional Record that Cribbins was [finally] awarded a Veteran's pension in 1904.

I have always been fascinated by the detail and integration contained in this artwork, and value it most highly.

post-21709-1340939389.jpg

This cane is carved from Cribbins' preferred stock of "diamond willow branch". Which also appears to be the same wood that your cane is carved from.

Additional photos:

post-21709-1340939905.jpg

I believe that the "Hole carved through handle" is rather indicative of the natural traits of this "diamond willow" wood.

It also 'quite resembles' a certain portion the "female anatomy"; note the inclusion of the 'button tickler' (Ha) in photos.

• 1 month later...
Additional photos:

post-21709-1340939905.jpg

I believe that the "Hole carved through handle" is rather indicative of the natural traits of this "diamond willow" wood.

It also 'quite resembles' a certain portion the "female anatomy"; note the inclusion of the 'button tickler' (Ha) in photos.

Don thats a beauty.He really had an eye for carving.Really a piece of art.Thanks for posting and the info on the carver.

Don thats a beauty.He really had an eye for carving.Really a piece of art.Thanks for posting and the info on the carver.

You are most welcome, my friend.

Don.

General Apathy

post-344-1344782889.jpg

I think we all have a few gems we all have picked up over the years which may not have a military look to them but are connected to the military one way or another.I want to start the post off with a couple items I have.

Hi Ron, the item shown above is a WWII American home-front item, not certain if they were store bought or the colored images were from a magazine and the woodwork produced at home and the magazine images glued on, there is a U.S. patent number printed on the images.

ken

• 4 years later...

I fanatically collect memorabilia from one Harley Davidson shop that closed in '91... Dad's buddy ran it, craziest/coolest guy I ever knew. Place was heaven if you liked planes, RC stuff, Harleys, hot rods, drag boats, guns, military this and that... He sold this Red Baron themed ultralight when I was in the 2nd grade and knew I loved it. Felt so bad he gave me a whole bag full of Harley shirts. After he died, I really missed it. Hard to describe, but it was one of my favorite pieces of my childhood, and the owner really knew how to make a kid feel like the coolest dude on the block. I bought the sign off the shop when they had his sale, and have about a dozen shirts. He was in the 155th Assault Helicopter Company at Ban me Thuot 69-70.

I fanatically collect memorabilia from one Harley Davidson shop that closed in '91... Dad's buddy ran it, craziest/coolest guy I ever knew. Place was heaven if you liked planes, RC stuff, Harleys, hot rods, drag boats, guns, military this and that... He sold this Red Baron themed ultralight when I was in the 2nd grade and knew I loved it. Felt so bad he gave me a whole bag full of Harley shirts. After he died, I really missed it. Hard to describe, but it was one of my favorite pieces of my childhood, and the owner really knew how to make a kid feel like the coolest dude on the block. I bought the sign off the shop when they had his sale, and have about a dozen shirts. He was in the 155th Assault Helicopter Company at Ban me Thuot 69-70.

Thats cool

Dude was a hoot... You name it, he flew it. Corsair, P-51, B25, was a lunatic in the Stearman he used to have too. If i was ever bored, all i had to do was wait and he'd inevitably divebomb the house.

post-342-0-56834500-1364275487.jpg

post-342-0-73957700-1364275502.jpg

WW2 Home front shipping tin to those overseas.I have another that is blue and white.

The wine was give to e by a rangerand it was bottled for the Normandy Anniversary as I recall and in reconition of all Rangers

• 3 years later...