Hollywood Patches # 2

patches

craig_pickrall
The 69th ID patch was very prominent in the "Phil Silvers Show" aka "Bilko"...clearly visible here on Corporal Henshaw's shirt.

post-8022-1338657934.jpg

Ian, can you find a shot like this done of the pilot show? They used a bogus patch then but it was changed to the 69 th for the rest of the series.

The 172nd Infantry Brigade in "World War III" TV miniseries. You can watch the whole thing on Youtube. Some neat combat scenes in it..... Not exactly a military haircut on the good Lieutenant Colonel's head.....

-Ski

post-3043-1338668803.jpg

craig_pickrall
The Deer Hunter....

They had the unit patches reversed on all of the main characters in this movie. The current unit was on the right and prior combat unit on the left. It looked stupid to see a green beret with 5 th SF flash and the SF patch on the right sleeve and 101 st of the left. Probably silly but it ruined the movie for me.

Ian, can you find a shot like this done of the pilot show? They used a bogus patch then but it was changed to the 69 th for the rest of the series.

Craig...I think we found a tv still and posted it in a previous thread? I think it was a solid diamond...probably red or blue. :think: I'll take a look-see!

craig_pickrall
You can see the spurious patch here Craig.

http://www.philsilversshow.com/AuditionShow.html

Thanks Ian. I remembered you and I discussing this previously but I didn't recall you finding a photo of it. I've got the complete series on DVD and it includes this pilot show but I don't know how to grab a scene form it.

Thanks Ian. I remembered you and I discussing this previously but I didn't recall you finding a photo of it. I've got the complete series on DVD and it includes this pilot show but I don't know how to grab a scene form it.

Me neither Craig....but you can bet your britches that someone out there does! :lol:

Easy! When you have the scene up you want. Freeze it and hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard. Then open a paint program and paste it in..... Crop the picture to remove the windows in the image....

-Ski

craig_pickrall
Easy! When you have the scene up you want. Freeze it and hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard. Then open a paint program and paste it in..... Crop the picture to remove the windows in the image....

-Ski

Thanks for the "How To".

Here is the Tank Destroyer Forces as worn by Robert Walker The Clock, the the wartime 1945 love story with Judy Garland.

post-34986-1338711117.jpg

This one the Hawaiian department is seen being worn by Tommy Lee Jones in a 1994 movie called Blue Sky a drama set in the late 50s into the 60s involving a careerist and his marital problems.

post-34986-1338711525.jpg

Here's a blast from the past a movie that I last seen on T.V. what ? in 1973, it's called THUNDERBIRDS, a 1952 movie about an Oklahoma 45th Infantry Division Infantry Company from the day of Federalization to VE Day, I dont believe this is available in any format, VHS or DVD, it's just one of the movies lost to time.

Here are two actors that were in it, John Derek and Slim Pickins, on Pickens we see a glimpse of the 45th Division patch. in the movie in the very begining of the movie I remember they talk about and show the old Swastika 45th Division patch.

post-34986-1338711910.jpg

post-34986-1338712046.jpg

8th Army. This one as we see is from MASH, one of the very,very,very few times an actual unit shoulder patch was worn or seen. among others I seen was I Corps, the 1st Cavalry Division ( remember ? it was worn by the that Tank Colonel in that one episode where he has the clap and wants treatment, which in exchange for help he leaves a Sherman tank to scare off some North Korean snipers that are operating in the area) and in one episode the 2nd Infantry Division is seen being worn by French troops that are brought in for aid.

post-34986-1338713615.gif

The Ryukyus Command or as it was later known from 1965 on, as the Okinawa Base Command, Now in this 1956 movie, The Teahouse of August moon, since the weather is hot and the men are wearing khakis, the story then is presumably one thats taken place in the spring or summer of 1946, the problem with the patches being that this one worn by Glenn Ford did not come out till early 1950, and the one worn by Captain Mc Lean played by Eddie Albert, the 10th Army, was no longer active by the summer of 1946, it was inactivated in October 1945.

Lets have some fun, what shoulder patch should they have been wearing ? Ocean Areas, the Western Pacific, Mac Arthurs GHQ, the first Ryukyus Command would be the one maybe ? what do you all think ?

post-34986-1338715266.jpg