• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 hardstripe

hardstripe
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60,620
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

And finally, No my beret is not for sale. Sorry. The black flash was for HQ troops. I will have to dig around to see if I have any pictures of troops wearing the OD Berets. I'll add them if I find any.

#22 hardstripe

hardstripe
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Check out this you-tube slide show. Several pics of soldiers in berets.

#23 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hardstripe,
Thanks for the memories with the youtube site. After my time, but still within the years (I left in 75). My second tour was 85-89 and they were starting up the "Sightseeing Sixth" at that time.
Here's my crossed rifle brass from my time with Charlie Airborne 4/23.

#24 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

This is my NCO challenge coin from that time.

#25 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Somewhere in my stash of stuff is a full color "Tomahawk" patch. It was the size of a nametag and pictured a sideways tomahawk and the word "Tomahawks" under it. WE were never allowed to wear them but I did see pictures of guys in the 60s with them sewn over top of their nametags on their wool OG shirts.
If I can find it I will post a picture.
BEAR

#26 cavcon

cavcon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,824
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hardstripe:

Thanks for all your information and the posts... The youtube video was great... Wish I could figure out how to contact him..

#27 cavcon

cavcon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,824
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Does anyone know what the difference is in the DI on the flash vs the brass rank on the flash? As you can see in the photo I posted the 4 OD berets, all of which were obtained at different times, have the rank but the C-23rd airborne is maroon and has the DI in it? When my uncle gave me the 1-60 beret in 1973 or 74 the flash was not even sewn on. Anyone with any thoughts?

Hardstripe:

Thanks for all your information and the posts... The youtube video was great... Wish I could figure out how to contact him..

#28 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

cavcon,
Several things have to be taken in account for the berets from Alaska. In January 1973, the Army authorized the green(SF), black(Rangers) and maroon(Airborne) beret however it was left to the discretion of upper echelon commanders to allow it. Alaska did not allow the maroon berets because the commander thought it was detremental to the morale of the non-airborne troops. We still continued to wear the standard baseball cap or cold weather cap. When I left Alaska for another assignment in early 1975 the new commander allowed the wearing of berets and adopted the OD beret (lovingly refered to by the Airborne as "blanket berets") for all of Alaska. These berets were disallowed in 1979 when the Army stopped all beret wearing except the Airborne, Rangers and SF.
Next issue is the rank on the berets. The berets were discontinued in 1979 however the rank shown on your berets is brass. The brass rank was not adopted until the 1980s with the advent of the mint green shirt replacing the tan poplin shirt and Khaki uniform. Why they are on the beret is anybody's guess.
The two flashes that I have seen on Alaska berets is the one that you show on your maroon beret and a flash that was blue with the nine stars of the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) surrounding it. Of course, not taking into account Hardstripes flashes that I have now seen.

Edited by BEAR, 29 May 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#29 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

cavcon,
Several things have to be taken in account for the berets from Alaska. In January 1973, the Army authorized the green(SF), black(Rangers) and maroon(Airborne) beret however it was left to the discretion of upper echelon commanders to allow it. Alaska did not allow the maroon berets because the commander thought it was detremental to the morale of the non-airborne troops. We still continued to wear the standard baseball cap or cold weather cap. When I left Alaska for another assignment in early 1975 the new commander allowed the wearing of berets and adopted the OD beret (lovingly refered to by the Airborne as "blanket berets") for all of Alaska. These berets were disallowed in 1979 when the Army stopped all beret wearing except the Airborne, Rangers and SF.
Next issue is the rank on the berets. The berets were discontinued in 1979 however the rank shown on your berets is brass. The brass rank was not adopted until the 1980s with the advent of the mint green shirt replacing the tan poplin shirt and Khaki uniform. Why they are on the beret is anybody's guess.
The two flashes that I have seen on Alaska berets is the one that you show on your maroon beret and a flash that was blue with the nine stars of the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) surrounding it. Of course, not taking into account Hardstripes flashes that I have now seen.

Just to clarify a minor point. In 1979, the maroon airborne beret was also disallowed. When I was at Ft Bragg for training in the summer of 1979 after the maroon beret was done away with, all the members of the 82nd wore the OD "baseball" hat with their unit oval with airborne wings over the rank insignia. In the Spring of 1980, I was at a Dining-In that the Army Chief of Staff, General Edward "Shy" Meyer attended. I remember him saying that the loss of maroon airborne berets was, by far, the complaint he most often heard about. Evidently the airborne guys really resented losing their maroon berets.

Edited by KurtA, 29 May 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#30 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Your minor point is correct. I was a blackhat at Benning and we lost both our berets and blackhats for a short time. We were not happy campers. But things changed and the beret came back but our blackhats were only authorized while we were working at the commitees.
BEAR

#31 bummer

bummer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,219
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hardstripe,
Thanks for the memories with the youtube site. After my time, but still within the years (I left in 75). My second tour was 85-89 and they were starting up the "Sightseeing Sixth" at that time.
Here's my crossed rifle brass from my time with Charlie Airborne 4/23.

Bear,I served with B(B ZONE) 4/327 172nd LIB and 1/17 6th ID (L). What Bn Were you with

#32 MPage

MPage
  • Members
    • Member ID: 257
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

As promised, here are some pics of my beret and a local made Finance Flash. The Finance troops at Ft Richardson wore the 172nd Bde DUI on the black flash. Some were embroidered but most were just a piece of black felt as is mine. The silver grey and yellow falsh (official colors of the Finance Corps) was worn by the Finance troops at Forts Wainwright and Greely. I went to both places several times on inspections or quality assurance visits to ensure they were performing Finance and Accounting tasks to standard. I bought one of the grey and yellow flash with plans to replace the black one on my beret and hopefully get the rest of the finance troops at Richardson to do the same. However, I think it was general Rogers, outlawed all non-regulation uniform items before I had a chance to do so. This included pocket patches and berets as well.

Here is photo one.

Outstanding. Thank you for posting.

#33 BEAR

BEAR
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Bear,I served with B(B ZONE) 4/327 172nd LIB and 1/17 6th ID (L). What Bn Were you with

Hi Bummer,
During my last tour in Alaska 85-89 there were no slots for infantry platoon sergeants and 172nd Brigade was overstrength E7s. Since I already had platoon time they gave me a desk job. First with Brigade DPTM then with the 6th ID S3 Training. Since I was never going to a line unit I decided to go to a Joint Operations assignment with Joint Task Force, Alaska at Elmendorf AFB for my last two years.
BEAR

#34 Rattle

Rattle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Nice berets.
Found me this nice 172nd beret today in an antique shop.

Stephan

172nd_small.jpg

#35 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

I also found one of these berets yesterday only at a flea market. According to my reference the flash is for Co C (Abn), 4th Bn, 9th Infantry (172nd Infantry Bde). The unit crest is missing but there are two horizontal holes where a DI used to be (clutch back) and another two larger vertical holes with the back sort of hollowed out for a pin back DI. Does anyone know which DI would have been worn with this beret? I understand that these types of OD or brown berets were worn for a short period of time by the 172nd Infantry Bde in Alaska during the 70s but I thought the airborne folks wore maroon berets during this same time period.

Attached Images

• DSCF2993.JPG

#36 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Flash Front

Attached Images

• DSCF2994.JPG

#37 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Rear showing cut out for pin back unit crest behind flash

Attached Images

• DSCF2998.JPG

#38 AK Airborne

AK Airborne
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 108,787
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Before 1963 and Battalions, there was an Inf Battle Group (number?) that had Co F "Fearless Fox". They had a decal of a cartoon fox, in arctic white parka, with M-14, on the left side of their helmet liners. My bro, was in Charlie Abn of 4-23, 1963-66, and he had a white liner with that decal and the USARAL SSI on the other side; it had been passed to him by a departing friend.

Anybody have any recollection of such a "Fearless Fox" emblem?

BTW there were at least two "Charlie Abn" Companies, one at Richardson (4-23) and one at Wainwright (4-9). I do not know when 1-60 was there and/or had an Abn Co. I also do not know if the fourth Inf Bn in AK had Abn or not.

I served with "C" Co. (ABN) 4/23 in '64-'65. That decal was a popular screen print on T-shirts. We even had a fox in a cage next to the building (BLDG. 628). "C" Co. (ABN) was removed from 4/23 early in '66 and replaced by a leg company. The Batt. then went to HI for 3 months of jungle training and then on to Cu Chi RVN. BTW, 4th Batt. had only one AIRBORNE company. "C" Co. (ABN).

#39 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I thought and seem to remember the brass rank coming in earlier than that. They replaced the subdued rank on a white plastic background used by enlisted personnel on the raincoat, overcoat and black windbreaker. Is someone able to confirm this?

#40 hardstripe

hardstripe
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

The Brass rank insignia was adopted in 1975 for the raincoat and windbreaker. The color of these coats matched the AG44 dress green uniform. Black coats were adopted later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)