USN Windy lighter

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I have had this lighter for years and I always had many questions about it. The lighter is called "The Windy" and was manufactured by the Matawan Co. in Matawan, New Jersey. The ligher has the insignia of the U.S. Navy Armed Guard Center on one side. What I would like to find out is when was this lighter made? Is the USN insignia original to the lighter or was it stuck on sometime after? What does "REC. STA." stand for, recreation or recruiting? I know the USN Armed Guard Center was active during WWII but did it continue after the war? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Rob

post-168-1338133069.jpg

Bob Hudson

This were WWII-only centers. There were various Armed Guard Centers, including one in New Orleans:

"History of U. S. Naval Armed Guard Center, U. S. Naval Repair Base, New Orleans, Louisiana

By letter dated 28 February 1942, the Bureau of Navigation directed the Commandant of the Eighth Naval District to "establish as soon as practicable and as a separate activity under the Receiving Station, New Orleans, a Center to be designated as the Armed Guard Center, Receiving Station, New Orleans, Louisiana."

The purpose of the center was to provide at one central location facilities for receiving, berthing, messing, equipping, and training men in the Naval Service assigned to duty as Armed Guard gun crews on merchant vessels. Records and accounts were to be retained by the Center and kept separate from those of other personnel handled by the Receiving Station."

Fixbayonets!

Thanks Forum Support, as long as the insignia was not added that would date this lighter to WWII. You also cleared up what "REC. STA." stands for - Receiving Station. The other two centers were in San Francisco & Brooklyn, given my location it is a safe bet this lighter came from the Brooklyn center.

Rob

Bob Hudson
Thanks Forum Support, as long as the insignia was not added that would date this lighter to WWII. You also cleared up what "REC. STA." stands for - Receiving Station. The other two centers were in San Francisco & Brooklyn, given my location it is a safe bet this lighter came from the Brooklyn center.

Rob

If you check around on Google you can verify if in fact all Armed Guard Centers were part of a Receiving Center.

Fixbayonets!

I did a search and was able to find out that the Brooklyn center also had a receiving station, I am not sure about the one in San Francisco.

Rob

• 6 years later...
Fixbayonets!

Great to see another example of the Windy in the black crackle finish! Thanks for posting!

Rob

• 3 months later...