Older photo of Marine with EGA

Tonomachi

I copied this photograph at a local insignia show. I was wondering if anyone knew how old this was based on the EGA. Also how come no collar EGAs?

post-1389-1200456106.jpg

The photo you have here, and a nice crisp one I might add, dates from the time of around WW1 or possibly a bit earlier. The "Bell Crown" style visor cap was adopted in 1912, and the one depicted in the photo sports a model 1916 EGA on it. The reason that this Marine sports no EGAs on his collar is because prior to the end of WW1, enlisted Marine's were not authorized to wear them, only Officers. It wasn't until the end of WW1 that then Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt, upon reviewing the Marines in France, authorized the wear of collar EGAs for enlisted men as well as Officers. I can't tell from the photo if the rifles on his shooting badge appear to be Krags or 03 Springfields, but that would likely narrow the timeframe down even further depending on which is depicted there. Hope this helps, and thanks for sharing the great photo!

Tonomachi: Very nice WWI image. FYI several of us moderators are preparing a series of photo threads that should offer a basic primer for identifying and dating Marine uniforms between 1865 and 1940. These threads are intended to answer just such questions.....sadly it seems that even during this brief period the categories and types are almost endless!