US machete or not

koen

i hope that someone give me more info about this piece , is this a US WW2 machete or not , there are no markings

its a leather handle just lile the M3 and M4

a simular machete is on the front of the book GI collector guide vol 2

post-2021-1337786827.jpg

i hope that someone give me more info about this piece , is this a US WW2 machete or not , there are no markings

its a leather handle just lile the M3 and M4

a simular machete is on the front of the book GI collector guide vol 2

post-2021-1337786879.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the machete on the GI's belt is a British Billhook military issue machete.

post-70-1337815705.jpgpost-70-1337815719.jpg

another pic

You know what I think? I think this is U.S. issue. Crazy but this looks like a Woodsman's Pal Survival machete that has been heavily modified. A new leather handle.....the guard has been removed, for the most part, and the blade has been reshaped. If you compare them side by side it sure looks like it could have been a Woodsman's Pal.

Darby

You know what I think? I think this is U.S. issue. Crazy but this looks like a Woodsman's Pal Survival machete that has been heavily modified. A new leather handle.....the guard has been removed, for the most part, and the blade has been reshaped. If you compare them side by side it sure looks like it could have been a Woodsman's Pal.

Darby

Hmmm...not sure about that.:think:

post-70-1337853909.jpg

post-70-1337854126.jpg

Hmmm...not sure about that.:think:

post-70-1337853909.jpg

post-70-1337854126.jpg

Take a closer look gunbarrel.....I said heavily modified. When cut down you can make this exact machete. Handle has been changed but looks as though part of the guard was used....a lot of grinding but it looks very possible.

Darby

I got to vote with gunbarrel on this one. I believe if you had the two side by side we'd find that theres metal at the mystery machete that there isn't at the Woodmans Pal. :think:

The guard would be a replacement piece of metal thicker than the original piece.

The handle leather would be a replacement.

The tang would be reshaped.

Easier to make one from scratch than to turn the Woodmans Pal into that pattern IMHO.

• 2 years later...

That's a nice billhook, it's Italian.The extension or hook on the end of the tang is a handguard and is a common detail on Italian Billhooks.

I have one very similiar,but blade's slightly different. Mine was made by Angelo B, which is short for Angelo of Bergamasco located in the Northern region of Italy. Some blades have 'Angelo B' stamped into them while others have just 'ITALY' but with an Angelo B sticker applied to the blade. I'll try to find mine and post a pic.

Just looks like some farm implement to me. The GI on the book cover, probably picked it up on a farm, as a useful tool to clear brush for the machinegun. Decided to hang on to it. SKIP

That's a nice billhook, it's Italian.The extension or hook on the end of the tang is a handguard and is a common detail on Italian Billhooks.

I have one very similiar,but blade's slightly different. Mine was made by Angelo B, which is short for Angelo of Bergamasco located in the Northern region of Italy. Some blades have 'Angelo B' stamped into them while others have just 'ITALY' but with an Angelo B sticker applied to the blade. I'll try to find mine and post a pic.

Well done, Cilldara69! Luck of the Irish? ;-)