If only it could speak

doyler

Beau-Brummel
Unbelievable awesome relic....a poignant reminder that "war is hell"................mike post-350-1337702792.gif

Absolutely, a sobering piece but a fantastic historical Item!

Thank you for posting It Ron and I hope your research pays off.

Yours, Guy.

That looks like damage from a shell fragment to me. I think it's very possible that whoever was wearing the helmet survived. The trajectory is very shallow along the top of the dome, and likely mostly above the webbing. I do see what could be blood in the right area on the webbing, but the wound could have been superficial.

Thanks again to everyone who has looked or commented.I was really drawn to this helmet and it spoke volumes .All of your input is greatly appreciated.

RD

That is quite a helmet and if indeed that damage was from battle it must of been ugly as all hell.

Nice lid, one can only imagine what it was like when that thing took the hit.

That is quite a helmet and if indeed that damage was from battle it must of been ugly as all hell.

Nice lid, one can only imagine what it was like when that thing took the hit.

Thanks D ;)

Searched the WW2 Registry and didnt find any match for the name,a good sign he may have survived the war.

Wow Ron! That is an amazing unexepected surprise :w00t: I hope someone will have a way to help you further research this very extraordinary helmet! Having a name attached to it makes it even more poignant.

Thanks for sharing this new discovery with us!

Rick

Sgt. Boghots

Whatever its story, I know that helmet is finally in the right hands.

Nice find, Ron.

Best regards,

Paul

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic Ron! Hopefully this will be the start of tracking down the vet and uncovering the history of the helmet...Odds on he's USMC/USN with a name stencil like that.

Such a terrific piece.

Will

'Flage Guy

That is a true museum-grade Helmet. The first thing I thought of when I saw the pics was that SecMarDiv guy on Betio in a 'flage suit standing with a light artillery crew, with a similar gaping hole in his lid. I rechecked the photo, and the hole appears to exit at the front, with the entry point at the rear side.

"Attaboy" on a tremendous find, Ron :thumbsup:

That is a true museum-grade Helmet. The first thing I thought of when I saw the pics was that SecMarDiv guy on Betio in a 'flage suit standing with a light artillery crew, with a similar gaping hole in his lid. I rechecked the photo, and the hole appears to exit at the front, with the entry point at the rear side.

"Attaboy" on a tremendous find, Ron :thumbsup:

Thanks again guys for all the positive comments.I really had that light bulb moment when I rolled the liner over and saw the name :lol: Im usually a less is more guy and tend to leave things alone.But I was hoping to see a name or initials on the interior of the steel shell.

Flage,

I like your scenario and I hope that the name can be researched.So far Im drawing blanks on my end.Maybe the crew here will find something.

RD

I couldn't find J H Wren on the USMC Muster Rolls on Ancestry.com. There is a list of WWII USN personnel but I haven't any luck working with the file.

Dick

I think it's a true battlefield relic from the Pacific Campaign, very cool find , most things like that probably got buried in landfills and never brought back, a rare find