Theatre-made USAAF winged-prop devices.

Sabrejet

Although technically collar brass, I posted these winged-props in this forum for obvious reasons. (Mods: if you deem them to be wrongly placed then please move as appropriate)

This beautifully detailed matched pair was manufactured for the USAAF by the C.A.P.A. company of Bruxelles (Brussels), Belgium, so can therefore be regarded as "theatre-made". The US 9th Air Force had forward bases in Belgium which supported the allied advance into Germany. Other items of US BOS and rank insignia can be found bearing this hallmark. These USAAF devices are similar to the British style being pin-backed with an open "C" catch.

post-8022-1337441795.jpgpost-8022-1337441804.jpg

LuftStalg1

Very cool, you don't see that one to often. :thumbsup: I have a single Capt. bar made by them as well but do not have the photo with me.

Very cool, you don't see that one to often. :thumbsup: I have a single Capt. bar made by them as well but do not have the photo with me.

Very true. I also have a matched pair of their pin-back "US" devices too. From time to time odd pieces will show up on eBay and sell big!

That set is extra nice! Happy for you.

Cliff :-)

Thanks Cliff. They came on an AF officer's coat which I acquired maybe 15 years ago? In fact, I'd had it for a few years before I discovered that collar devices were actually theatre-made. A happy discovery!

Here's a similar pair of pin-backed winged-prop devices. These are unmarked but I'm leaning towards British-made? :think:

post-8022-1337515674.jpg

post-8022-1337515685.jpg

Here's a similar pair of pin-backed winged-prop devices. These are unmarked but I'm leaning towards British-made? :think:

post-8022-1337515674.jpg

post-8022-1337515685.jpg

Another very nice set but much more likely made in the U.S.A. - The "give away" is the loop-type pin fastener.

Here's a nice screw-back pair by Blackinton's, still on the PX card....$1.75!! :w00t:

post-8022-1337525076.jpgpost-8022-1337525084.jpg

Roger that Cliff...thanks! :thumbsup:

I would be more inclined to think of these as more USAF from the 1950-1970's era than "theater-made" during WWII for the USAAF, myself.

Still, nice insignia.

Patrick

I would be more inclined to think of these as more USAF from the 1950-1970's era than "theater-made" during WWII for the USAAF, myself.

Still, nice insignia.

Patrick

But the USAF ceased wearing the winged prop collar devices soon after '47 when their insignia became just silver "US" ciphers.

But the USAF ceased wearing the winged prop collar devices soon after '47 when their insignia became just silver "US" ciphers.

Yes, that's true.

By the way, your Blackinton set is especially nice. Keep up the good work!

Here are some more matched pairs by different manufacturers, for those of you who might be interested in this kind of thing. First up a snowflake-backed pair by Amcraft, with early heavy brass clutches.

post-8022-1337593076.jpgpost-8022-1337593069.jpg