Show us your Korean War uniforms!

GIl Sanow

Last one for tonight (this might just be my last Korean War uniform) belonged to a 7th Inf Div, 31st Regiment officer (former enlisted). It has no lapel insignia at all and the 7th ID patch has been removed from the shoulder. there are pin marks on the epaulets that look like either Major or LTC oak leaves once were but they're no longer there. The ribbon bar was a one-piece unit covered wit thick plastic. Unfortunately the top row snapped off as some point but they're still mounted there. The ribbon devices are mounted on top the plastic with holes drilled thou for the mounting wires. The Infantry rope came attached to it but I'm not sure what vintage it is. It looks like there once was a CIB above the ribbons but it's gone along with the lapel brass.

I was lucky enough to squeeze all three onto one post this time.

post-1107-1236815250.jpg

post-1107-1236815153.jpg

post-1107-1236815157.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Often times you see Korean War uniforms lacking the NDSM...it was authorized in 1954, so for any soldier that was discharged before then would not have actually received it. The same goes for the blue inf. cord and disks. Those were a later (1953 or 54) addition to uniforms, so many soldiers didn't have them.

I remember my grandfather telling me that he didn't know what his ribbons were for, but he was proud of his three battle stars. It's always interesting what veterans choose to wear and what they remember from their service.

I feel bad taking up all these posts...but I guess it's for a good cause...

Bill - AMAZING uniform! I love the Polar Bears!

Rob

Back in '68, my sister was in Korea with the Red Cross. She brought me back some DI's, mostly from the 7th ID. Most are Asian made, though she coudn't get them all, so I used some US-made ones for the display. This represents the order of battle about then.

Enjoy!

G

IMG_0573__Small_.JPG

I only have one. Harry Fox from the 37th Division (what else :lol: ) 140th Field Artillery. He goes all the way back to WW1 when he was a cook on the USS Indianapolis.

post-729-1236905342.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I know some of these are in this thread already, but I finally took a nice organized set of pictures to show off what I've got so far, in numerical order!

This 1st Cav Ike is a recent trade, it came with no insignia but I did (am doing) my best to accurately replace everything.

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1601.jpg

Interesting to note the WWII style chevrons.

Rob

Captainofthe7th

40th Div...apparently this division is hard to find.

DSCF1612.jpg

The missing insignia is an ongoing project.

And 45th Div...this is my Uncles...he still has his dog tags and ribbons.

DSCF1614.jpg

Rob

Gotta put up a WAC contribution :rolleyes: And apologies for the camera suddenly lacking close up abilities. This Ike, overcoat, and cotton dress were purchased at the same time but just happened to come together.

post-5147-1237164870.jpg

The tag reads 29 Feb 52

post-5147-1237164897.jpg

Steph

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Captainofthe7th

Finally, my very own Rakkasan uniform. I got this from a forum member without any pin on insignia...all patches were still on. I restored it to the BEST of my knowledge..I know all the insignia are in the correct places, I had to guess on the Good Conduct. It was between that or the Occupation ribbon. I'm very pleased, regardless!

DSCF2127.jpg

DSCF2129.jpg

Rob

Very good, but I think you need a set of wings with one star to match the arrowhead on the KW ribbon.

G

• 10 months later...
Captainofthe7th

Here comes a big update. I am only going to post one photo of each uniform, but hopefully it will be enough. I apologize if there are repeats of uniforms I posted earlier.

8th Army/2nd Army Engineer with a nice unauthorized shoulder cord. Ribbons are vibrant and cellophane covered. This one is named and I have a copy of the unit's orders.

DSCF2845.jpg

IX Corps bullion. Nice ribbons on this one, too. Early double collar disc (signal corps) configuration.

DSCF2846.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

7th Cav Regt, 1st Cav Div. Nice Korea tab and a Purple Heart recipient to boot.

DSCF2847.jpg

8th Cav Regt, 1st Cav Div. I restored the ribbons to this one.

DSCF2848.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

2nd Div/5th Army. Very scarce Panmunjom peace conferences fourragere. Another nice Korea tab!

DSCF2849.jpg

2nd Div/5th Army with leather name plate. I was able to look this fellow up on NARA since he was WIA. Fantastic German made ribbon bar and a foreign made 2nd ID patch.

DSCF2850.jpg

DSCF2851.jpg

2nd Div Combat Medic.

DSCF2852.jpg

2nd Div Combat Medic. This is one of my favorites...there's something about it that I just love.

DSCF2853.jpg

2nd Div 1st LT. This is another one of my favorites.

DSCF2854.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

9th FAB/3rd Div. Named to a gentleman who I was able to find on the Korean War project in a list of all the members of his battery. Very cool.

DSCF2855.jpg

3rd Div. Gorgeous bullion work.

DSCF2856.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

And for the 7th Division uniforms...

7th ID/2nd Army. I love this one. Interesting modified 7th ID patch and theater made chevrons. I restored only the ribbonry to this one, the CIB was already there.

DSCF2857.jpg

31st Regt/7th Div. Named with discharge papers...very cool.

DSCF2859.jpg

7th Div. MP collar brass. Different ribbon placement, really nice vibrant SSI. Same style as above, but not faded.

DSCF2860.jpg

7th ID - I have shown this one before, but I really think the lucite ribbons are great.

DSCF2861.jpg

57th FAB/7th Div - This is Lt. Dill's uniform I posted a while back. I have the book he wrote. I did restore the ribbons but they are 100% accurate - no guess work on this one.

DSCF2862.jpg

17th Regt/7th Div - Nice summer TWs to a 1st LT who received the BSM and PH. No name, unfortunately.

DSCF2870.jpg

7th Div - just post Korea, I usually stray away from the clipped Spc chevrons, but this one was too cool to pass up. Awesome Korea tab and embroidered ribbons.

DSCF2871.jpg

DSCF2872.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

24th Div - This is probably one of my favorites. 3rd Div WWII veteran. Lot's of stars on the EAME ribbon. He received the PH in WWII and appears to have been behind the lines in Korea, as there are no campaign stars on the KW service. Lots of service stripes!

DSCF2864.jpg

24th Div - Some work to do on this one...there is evidence of two ribbons and a CIB, so once I have those extras I can restore this uniform. Great felt/bullion patch and sweet MSG chevrons.

DSCF2865.jpg

Rob