Show us your Korean War uniforms!

GIl Sanow

This WAC uniform is named. Has a newspaper article about her in the pocket. At one time she was the second highest ranked officer in the US Army. Got this from 36Tex when he liked me. LOL. Nice ribbon bar.

post-736-1236723183.jpg

Close up of Combat Artillery badge.

That's a great Combat Artillery Badge. I don't think I've ever seen an original period piece. I didn't realize they apparently took a CIB, painted the background red and superimposed crossed cannons over it. Not like the collectors versions from later on I have seen without the rifle.

Beautiful uniforms---let me add some of mine to the mix:

Heres a USMC WW2 Okinawa vet who also served in China and then went to the Chosin with the crew---His picture is in Life walking behind a truck filled with bodies---very tough guy ---lotsa pictures and even his map of Korea showing all of the places he fought from the pusan perimeter, to chosin/hangnam and beyond---His field marching pack is still packed and is complete down to his housewife and an extra pair of skivies. Note the swagger stick----

Second uniform is from an Afro American who served with the 2ID---only flaw are the pain stains on the sleeve

post-2235-1236725248.jpg

post-2235-1236725276.jpg

And an infantryman from the 5th Regimental Combat Team plus another WW2/KW vet from the 25th and 7th Infantry Divisions.

post-2235-1236725898.jpg

post-2235-1236725928.jpg

heres an infantryman from the 24th Division and another 2 war vet; enlisted in the 29th ID in WW2 and Officer in KW as augmentee from the 176th Inf RGT .

post-2235-1236726007.jpg

post-2235-1236726023.jpg

I just came across this thread and wanted to add my contribution. I only had to look in two trunks and I found it. I also have his visor hat and his pants and belt. I have not researched it as I believe it was my first "modern" war uniform purchase and I didn't know much then (still don't) and didn't have much interest in that period. But, it was in a local antique store, now gone, and the price seemed reasonable at the time so I bought it and put it away. If anyone wants to go over the hardware and tell me what it is I would appreciate it. I think he was a medic, 2nd Army. I don't know what the brassard (?) on the right arm means, nor the DUI on the garrison cap, nor the braid on the cap. Combat medic badge? Thanks all for looking and the feedback.

korea1.jpg

korea6.jpg

korea2.jpg

korea4.jpg

korea5.jpg

I don't have very many Korean War uniforms but here's one for an AF Colonel who served as a pilot in WW-II and Korea. The Chinese senior pilot's wings are definitely post WW-II but I don't know id he earned them during WW-II or as an advisor sometime between WW-II and Korea or after the Korean War (Taiwan?). Wings are bullion on uniform marwerial with clutch-back mounting posts.

The little white spot off the right wingtip is not a moth bite, it's a speck of lint. Ribbon bars have clutch-back mountsOnly two shots would fit on the post so I'll follow them with another post and the remaining pics.

post-1107-1236813332.jpg

post-1107-1236813351.jpg

Last two pics for the AF Col's Class A uniform. I forgot to mention above, the shirt, obviously, is not KW period. It's one of my old ones just put under the blouse to complete the display.

At left is the Chinese (or Taiwanese??) wings. At right is one of the sterling Colonel's eagles. the eagles are pin-back mounted.

post-1107-1236813783.jpg post-1107-1236813790.jpg

Here's another AF Korean War vintage uniform. This one is a Colonel's Ike (not from the same man as the previous uniform). This one has a single row of custom-made ribbons. He apparently didn't wear any ribbons other than his individual awards as there are no campaign ribbons affixed at all. His Command Pilot's wings are not on the tunic. I have them separately displayed with my wings collection so I took a photo of the wings in the display box and included it.

Again, it looks like only two shots will fit on this post so will follow with another.

post-1107-1236814132.jpg

post-1107-1236814138.jpg

Here's the last two shots of the Colonel's Ike. The Eagles are sterling clutch-back types. the wings aere also sterling clutch-back.

post-1107-1236814258.jpg post-1107-1236814262.jpg

Captainofthe7th
I just came across this thread and wanted to add my contribution. I only had to look in two trunks and I found it. I also have his visor hat and his pants and belt. I have not researched it as I believe it was my first "modern" war uniform purchase and I didn't know much then (still don't) and didn't have much interest in that period. But, it was in a local antique store, now gone, and the price seemed reasonable at the time so I bought it and put it away. If anyone wants to go over the hardware and tell me what it is I would appreciate it. I think he was a medic, 2nd Army. I don't know what the brassard (?) on the right arm means, nor the DUI on the garrison cap, nor the braid on the cap. Combat medic badge? Thanks all for looking and the feedback.

Nice one! The ribbon bar is actually backwards, but as you have it, the ribbons are for UN Service, Korean Service, and National Defense Service. The fourregere on the right shoulder looks more like the Belgian forreguere than the French Croix de Guerre, I'm not sure why. The patch is the 2nd Infantry Division, and the rank is Sergeant, NOT Staff Sergeant. In 1948 the ranks were ammended and it got all screwy. The braid on the cap is for the medical corps. I think that should answer all your questions... it's very similar to my own 2nd Div Combat Medic Ike jacket. I like it!

Rob

Here's the uniform of a Captain of the 38th Infantry regiment, 2nd Inf div. He fought at the "River and the Gauntlet" in North Korea.

post-1107-1236814436.jpg

Lapel insignia and ribbons for the 38th Regiment Captain. The ribbons are plastic coated and mounted on clutch-mount aluminum W-B ribbon bars. CIB is sterling with sterling clutches.

post-1107-1236814650.jpg

post-1107-1236814655.jpg

It is always interesting to me what is not on the Korean War uniforms. I have my fathers Ike and the only things on it were the CIB , a bullion 40th ID patch, Sgt. stripes and a two ribbon bar consisting of the KW service medal and the UN medal. He should also have had a 1st Cav combat patch, combat squad leader tabs, one unit citation, blue disc backers, blue infantry shoulder cord, sharpshooter badge, overseas bars, good conduct and National Defense medals and three campaign stars, not two. When I asked him where the rest of his uniform was, he said this was all he got. He also said he never even got the actual medals to the two ribbon bar, just the two ribbons. Quite a few of the uniforms posted here are also sparsely adorned.