Show us your Korean War uniforms!

GIl Sanow

Captainofthe7th and I have been simultaneously gathering KW uniforms over the last few months. I am working toward another display for the Wellington (OH) HS Military History Day in April. Teacher John Perry and I decised last year that we would put on a Korean War Army display this year.

My challenge is to acculmulate all uniforms from all of the major Army units in Korea at the time. (At this point I doubt we'll be successful in finding[or affording] the rare minor units like Rangers and UNPIC.) I can still use examples from I Corps, 40th and 45th Divisions, so if anyone has one to spare (or loan), lemme know.

I was fairly sure that the 2 RCT's would be the toughest, since they were quite a bit smaller than corps and divisions. I found a 5th RCT on eBay a while back, but missed out on a 187th RCT artilleryman. WHen the 187th RCT jacket showed up a about 2 weeks ago, I decided I needed it.

The wings look good -- there is even verdigris under the star. The ribbons look correct with an assault arrowhead present. I would have suspected the CIB should be over the wings, but it has been there on the pocket flap for a long time. The SSI is chain stitched -- far more common in WW2. There are no overseas bars. The collar brass has been there a long time too -- cocked at an odd angle -- splayed about 90 deg out from what they should be by reg., but there a long time.

Oh yeah, it has a laundry mark and a partial name stamped in the lining.

Yeah, I paid too much for it, but I like it anyhow.

G

IMG_0550__Small_.JPG

IMG_0551__Small_.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As I have indicated earlier, I have been trying to keep up with Captainofthe7th's KW collection and prepping for a KW display at a local HS next month. I wandered around the SOS on Friday, but didn't see anything I really liked or needed until I got to Bill Brooks' table on the last row.

This one leaped out at me and I brought it home. It was all packed in a laundry shipping box -- the kind you sent home to mom while you were in college so she'd do your laundry and return it.

In the grouping is an Ike jacket, trousers, khaki shirt, overseas cap, unit photo and ID bracelet, all attributed to Loren J. Knepp. The uniform shows he was a CIB, BS (w/V) and PH recipient. I suspect there were once leader loops and DI's on the shoulders, so those will be restored. By the way, the brass is numbered -- 160 and A.

I did some noodling around on the internet and learned he was born in IN in 1929 and died in AL in '06. A 40th Div site lists him as WIA on Jan 19, '52. He is buried at the Ft Mitchell Nat'l Cemetery in AL.

Enjoy!

G

IMG_0562__Small_.JPG

IMG_0564__Small_.JPG

Pointedcuffs

Nice find Gil, good luck with your display.

Mario

P.S. It was good to see you at the SOS.

Captainofthe7th

jeal0001.gif

Woww...thats a really nice one there Gil. I love the bracelet, spectacular touch. The numbered collar disks are fantastic as well.

Any idea what he did to earn the BSM with V?

Rob

jeal0001.gif

Woww...thats a really nice one there Gil. I love the bracelet, spectacular touch. The numbered collar disks are fantastic as well.

Any idea what he did to earn the BSM with V?

Rob

I have no idea, and I am not sure how to access the info.

G

Nice uniform. Interesting that he is a Hoosier also.

Story in which Knepp is mentioned.

http://www.bob-west.com/160thMISC-PHOTOS.html

Sunburst Corporal Fires M-1

Kills Red, Records 40th First

Submitted by: Ed Marshall

Article by Cpl. Walter Cord, (Pac. S&S)

KOREA -At 3 p.m. on a mid January day the crack of an M-1 rifle echoed through little valleys that crisscross the Korean landscape, from atop a high finger of a hill, a Chinese soldier tumbled, rolling over and over, clumsily to the bottom.

After 16 months of intensive training both in Japan and the United-States, the 40th Infantry Division, made up largely of men from California, had been committed to the Korean conflict.

THIS FIRST shot, fired by a soldier of the Sunburst Division, sounded when its first combat patrol met a small enemy group. The shot, fired by Cpl. Pete Romas, killed a Red.

In September 1950 , the 40th National Guard division from California was called to active duty. At first, it was said the division would be a security force to back up the Korean "police action." After months of concentrated training at Camp Cooke, the division was ordered to Japan for occupation duty in April 1951.

TRAINING for the first fatal shot did not stop; rather it was stepped up. The men were taught everything the Army could give-from beach assaults to mountain warfare and more months of constant field exercises and battle indoctrination. By the time the division was ordered to Korea the men were "good soldiers."

First mission of the division was delegated to the 160th Regiment, "Los Angeles' Own." Company A of that unit sent out a reinforced squad to contact and harass the enemy. Led by SFC Loren Knepp, the small group wound their way about 800 meters into enemy territory when Romas developed a cramp in his leg.

THEY COULDN'T stop for one man so they left him and continued on their mission. The group had advanced a short distance and were climbing a finger of a high hill when Romas sighted an enemy patrol of about 15 men climbing the other side of the finger.

He called to his comrades but they out of earshot, Picking up his rifle, he took careful aim on the lead man of the enemy element and fired. The man fell and rolled down the steep sides of the hill.

THAT SHOT warned the other men and they took up the fight. It only lasted about 30 minutes but the enemy force was broken and forced to retreat, leaving several of their number behind. Long months of preparation had payed off.

Many people were wondering how the outfit would come out in combat. Maj. Gen. Daniel H. Hudelson, division commander and a former oil company executive, had a few words to say on that subject. "Let 'em come. We will give 'em a real California welcome."

Although on inactive duty since 1946, combat is nothing new to this division. It fought long and well in the South Pacific. It came to Korea for a short time in the early stages of the occupation but was withdrawn to the states and deactivated in 1946.

ON HAND to witness the first artillery round fired by the 143d FAB was Maj. Thomas 0. Lawson, Los Angeles. This was a distinction for Lawson since he also witnessed the last round fired by the division in the Philippines in 1945.

The 40th is one of the only two National Guard divisions that have, so far, been called for combat duty. The Oklahoma Guard division, the 45th, has been on the lines for some time. The 40th also was one of the first four such units recalled to active duty in 1950.

Two of the four are scheduled for Europe to bolster General Eisenhower's Atlantic defense setup.

THE MEN of the Golden State seem glad to be in Korea and given a chance to prove themselves in combat. Morale, instead of taking a slump, jumped when they learned that Korean battlelines were to be their new home.

There's been a lot of ribbing of the 40th by men who have spent long periods in Korea. All this has done nothing to change the feeling of the Californians. They are glad to be in the fight. They are convinced it will not take long for other troops, in Korea to be glad they are here too.

Nice uniform. Interesting that he is a Hoosier also.

Story in which Knepp is mentioned.

http://www.bob-west.com/160thMISC-PHOTOS.html

Sunburst Corporal Fires M-1

Kills Red, Records 40th First

Submitted by: Ed Marshall

Article by Cpl. Walter Cord, (Pac. S&S)

KOREA -At 3 p.m. on a mid January day the crack of an M-1 rifle echoed through little valleys that crisscross the Korean landscape, from atop a high finger of a hill, a Chinese soldier tumbled, rolling over and over, clumsily to the bottom.

After 16 months of intensive training both in Japan and the United-States, the 40th Infantry Division, made up largely of men from California, had been committed to the Korean conflict.

THIS FIRST shot, fired by a soldier of the Sunburst Division, sounded when its first combat patrol met a small enemy group. The shot, fired by Cpl. Pete Romas, killed a Red.

In September 1950 , the 40th National Guard division from California was called to active duty. At first, it was said the division would be a security force to back up the Korean "police action." After months of concentrated training at Camp Cooke, the division was ordered to Japan for occupation duty in April 1951.

TRAINING for the first fatal shot did not stop; rather it was stepped up. The men were taught everything the Army could give-from beach assaults to mountain warfare and more months of constant field exercises and battle indoctrination. By the time the division was ordered to Korea the men were "good soldiers."

First mission of the division was delegated to the 160th Regiment, "Los Angeles' Own." Company A of that unit sent out a reinforced squad to contact and harass the enemy. Led by SFC Loren Knepp, the small group wound their way about 800 meters into enemy territory when Romas developed a cramp in his leg.

THEY COULDN'T stop for one man so they left him and continued on their mission. The group had advanced a short distance and were climbing a finger of a high hill when Romas sighted an enemy patrol of about 15 men climbing the other side of the finger.

He called to his comrades but they out of earshot, Picking up his rifle, he took careful aim on the lead man of the enemy element and fired. The man fell and rolled down the steep sides of the hill.

THAT SHOT warned the other men and they took up the fight. It only lasted about 30 minutes but the enemy force was broken and forced to retreat, leaving several of their number behind. Long months of preparation had payed off.

Many people were wondering how the outfit would come out in combat. Maj. Gen. Daniel H. Hudelson, division commander and a former oil company executive, had a few words to say on that subject. "Let 'em come. We will give 'em a real California welcome."

Although on inactive duty since 1946, combat is nothing new to this division. It fought long and well in the South Pacific. It came to Korea for a short time in the early stages of the occupation but was withdrawn to the states and deactivated in 1946.

ON HAND to witness the first artillery round fired by the 143d FAB was Maj. Thomas 0. Lawson, Los Angeles. This was a distinction for Lawson since he also witnessed the last round fired by the division in the Philippines in 1945.

The 40th is one of the only two National Guard divisions that have, so far, been called for combat duty. The Oklahoma Guard division, the 45th, has been on the lines for some time. The 40th also was one of the first four such units recalled to active duty in 1950.

Two of the four are scheduled for Europe to bolster General Eisenhower's Atlantic defense setup.

THE MEN of the Golden State seem glad to be in Korea and given a chance to prove themselves in combat. Morale, instead of taking a slump, jumped when they learned that Korean battlelines were to be their new home.

There's been a lot of ribbing of the 40th by men who have spent long periods in Korea. All this has done nothing to change the feeling of the Californians. They are glad to be in the fight. They are convinced it will not take long for other troops, in Korea to be glad they are here too.

WOW! Thanx. Somehow I knew you'd spot the Hoosier connection.

G

Spectacular pick-up Gil! And the background that BEAST found for you... WOW! drool2.gif I looked for you at the show on Friday but, gee, that place is big! Maybe in the future we'll cross paths.

My one and only KW grouping I have..but a favorite! A named 502nd MP uniform with dogtags and liberty passes. (502nd MP liner is a NAM one I had in my collection already)

post-4199-1236637061.jpg

1st AAA Group
My one and only KW grouping I have..but a favorite! A named 502nd MP uniform with dogtags and liberty passes. (502nd MP liner is a NAM one I had in my collection already)

If I am not mistaken he was stationed during the KW at Bad Kreuznach, Germany with the 502nd. I actually intended bidding on that one but was away when it ended! Nice jacket 72newport. Congrats. thumbsup.gif

Well, I mentioned there was a unit photo with the lot -- that's Knepp under the white dot!

I wonder if he's wearing the cap I have.

G

IMG_0568__Small_.JPG

Was that "History of the World, Part 1" with Mel Brooks wearing a drool cup? Or was it another period comedy? Either way, we need to get Captainofthe7th one.

G

A USN pilot. He wears an H-3 helmet with the navy model MS22001 O2 mask, a Mk2 life vest with shark chaser, dye marker, lamp and smoke signal, the early Z-3 anti-g pants.

usnz3002.jpg

collection010309001.jpg