Shalllow Water Diving Kit

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

My Dad and I had an interesting find last summer that I thought I would share on the forum. Im hoping this is the right subforum.

What he have is called a Shallow Water diving kit, made by Thompson Engineering Company (TECO) from Grand Rapids, Michigan. The rubber mask is a designed from modifying a gas mask. There is a lead weight belt and the breathing appartatus. The original instruction manual is still with it, as well as all the fittings. The only thing missing appears to be some "brass slippers". and possibly a small tank. All is in very good shape and very cool. The vets obituary states he was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class in the US Navy. I picked up several of his uniforms and some of his equipment also.

I dont have much info on the Vet, other than what his obituary says, http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obitu...amp;fh_id=13068

I have done a little research on this, and have come up pretty short. According to a couple of guys over a War relics, its pretty rare. The rest of the grouping contained:

Navy Blazer and pants, dated 1943, ribbons still attached.

3 sets of leggings, 2 are date 1943, 1 is dated 1942

US Web belt, which is cool, ive been looking for one for a long time.

Blue Navy hat w/ leather sweatband, named.

Navy hammock. (what will i ever do with this?)

a pair of A-9 Army Airforce pants

1.post-2901-0-73112000-1404756516.jpg

2.post-2901-0-01736200-1404756527.jpg

3.post-2901-0-70068700-1404756541.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
manayunkman

This is a real cool grouping. I would love to see his ribbon bar. The whole uniform would be nice. I hope your research proves fruitful.

M

BigDogMilitaria

The research continues, hopefully I will find out some more info. Here is a pic of the jacket, i have his hat also which has his name stenciled inside.

post-2901-0-07508900-1404756749.jpg

BigDogMilitaria
Whew...that is nothing short of stunning!!

Thanks, it is one of the centerpieces of my collection and I feel very honored to have rescued it! As of yet, i havnt been able to locate any more info on the Veteran's service (Thomas Wilhelm).

In my book underwater Navy WWII items are the top items....I'm blown away with this collection, glad you have his coat as well!

Leonardo

'Flage Guy
In my book underwater Navy WWII items are the top items....I'm blown away with this collection, glad you have his coat as well!

Leonardo

You got that right; there weren't even close to as many diving outfits made during the War years as, say, Dungarees, Caps, etc., etc..

That diving rig must be very early vintage, as it was replaced early on by DESCO co-founder Jack Browne's innovations, shown below:

post-3226-1338489828.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Another poster over on Warrelics posted the following info back when i was first trying to figure out what I had:

The Navy issued guidance for converting Gas Masks into Shallow Water Diving Masks. The following guidance was provided:

“Shallow-Water Diving Mask-Use of Gas Masks,” 24 August 1943.

1. In order to provide a shallow-water diving outfit that would overcome the limitations of the helmet outfit, a face mask was adopted for shallow-water diving. With the new mask, a diver is able to assume any position and accomplish work that could not be done with the helmet.

2. Due to the delay caused by changing to a new outfit, it was impossible to furnish the new shallow-water outfits to a great number of activities requiring them. Therefore, various activities improvised diving outfits from service gas masks.

3. The Bureau does not recommend the use of the shallow-water diving mask below 36 feet, except in special cases, and then only by trained Divers. Ascent from depths of 36 feet or less may be made up the ascending line at a rate not greater than 50 feet per minute. Divers are cautioned against throwing off the mask and swimming to the surface.

4. In addition to diving on air, pure oxygen may be used as a breathing medium up to 40 feet.

However, pure oxygen should not be used to greater depths, due to the toxic effect of oxygen.

Individual tolerances vary greatly, and individual susceptibility should be determined.

5. Shallow-water outfits are furnished to activities that do not have specific diving duties assigned, but have small and necessary jobs to accomplish at infrequent intervals, such as

clearing a hawser from a ship’s screw, cleaning strainers and scuppers, cleaning the

ship’s bottom, searching for objects lost in comparatively shallow and warm water.

However, during extensive operations, such as battle-damage repair, salvage, or any work that necessitates the Diver working inside the ship a deep-sea diving outfit should be used. When diving in areas where there is extensive damage, or where wreckage exists, the Diver wearing a ‘shallow-water’ mask is very likely to sustain serious physical injuries, particularly about the head. ‘MDV Gaillard must always wear Deep Sea gear!’

6. All masks should be equipped with the non-return or check valve on the supply line at the same or lower level than the mask, since squeeze resulting in rupture of the blood vessels of eyes, nose and lungs, etc., can occur at any time the pressure in the mask falls below the surrounding water pressure.

7. When diving in cold water the objective is to reduce the circulation of water around the skin. This can be accomplished bywearing heavy underwear or by using a coating of heavy grease.

8. While very satisfactory results have been obtained with the gas mask, it should be remembered that the gas mask diving outfit is an improvisation, and the mask has been furnished for a definite purpose other than diving. However, the Bureau does consider the gas mask to be a very satisfactory substitute for the standard mask. — BuShips. P.W. Hains.”

Shallow-Water Diving Mask: Use of Gas Mask. Navy Department Bulletin. (Cumulative edition, 1943): 1118-1121 Department of the Navy — Department of the Navy Historical Center, 805 Kidder Breese SE, Washington Naval

BigDogMilitaria

I was digging around a pile of bags and what not and located the sea bag that belonged to the Sailor in question. Its funny because there is a hammock off a ship in it, and i had forgot i bought it. I have no idea if anyone can use this to help find any more info on the man, but stenciled on the bag is "T.J Wilhelm 8 61-39-93"

Couple of things that have nothing to do with the diving rig, which is fantastic by the way, love that "Sailor Alted" Gear. If the vet was an MM3/c (Machinest Mate Third Class), he would not have worn the uniform you have. That is an officers uniform, not an enlisted mans. Also, officers did not have seabags or hammocks. I think that somewhere along the way, the officers uniform got mixed in with the diving set.

Steve Hesson

'Flage Guy

Could be that the accumulation of stuff was the result of various trades of souveniers, "liberations", etc..

Very interesting data in post #11; with the exception of using oxygen for diving "air" and other minor tweaks, all those stipulations are pretty much still applicable for diving operations today.

• 1 year later...
BigDogMilitaria

Bringing this thread back up. I was looking through some things i had stashed away, and came across a Bluejackets manual i forgot I bought from the same estate as this kit. Well, to my utter shock and surprise, I found the original manual to this set folded up inside. I guess sometimes it pays to "grab everything" when the price is right!

Here are some pics for those interested

9.post-2901-0-25782500-1404756855.jpg

10.post-2901-0-29504800-1404756869.jpg

11.post-2901-0-25930100-1404756880.jpg

• 2 months later...
American Heritage

This is a really nice find! I have a fascination with all naval dive equipment and operations so this is wonderful to see. Esp nice to have his uniform jacket also. Have you requested his military service file?

Does anyone know what equipment the udt and raiders used? Similar to this?

BigDogMilitaria

I have not sent for his records yet, but now that you mention it, I think that's going to the top of my list!

• 1 year later...

My Dad and I had an interesting find last summer that I thought I would share on the forum. Im hoping this is the right subforum.

What he have is called a Shallow Water diving kit, made by Thompson Engineering Company (TECO) from Grand Rapids, Michigan. The rubber mask is a designed from modifying a gas mask. There is a lead weight belt and the breathing appartatus. The original instruction manual is still with it, as well as all the fittings. The only thing missing appears to be some "brass slippers". and possibly a small tank. All is in very good shape and very cool. The vets obituary states he was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class in the US Navy. I picked up several of his uniforms and some of his equipment also.

I dont have much info on the Vet, other than what his obituary says, http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obitu...amp;fh_id=13068

I have done a little research on this, and have come up pretty short. According to a couple of guys over a War relics, its pretty rare. The rest of the grouping contained:

Navy Blazer and pants, dated 1943, ribbons still attached.

3 sets of leggings, 2 are date 1943, 1 is dated 1942

US Web belt, which is cool, ive been looking for one for a long time.

Blue Navy hat w/ leather sweatband, named.

Navy hammock. (what will i ever do with this?)

a pair of A-9 Army Airforce pants

1.attachicon.gifmask1.jpg

2.attachicon.gifmask2.jpg

3.attachicon.gifmask3.jpg

AirCorpsHJS, I just purchased a Teco shallow diving mask similar to yours....It includes the carrying box, helmet, weight belt, coupling, short hose (30") and the long hose (100'), paper bag with splice/fittings for repairs and round paper canister with charcoal for the filter....Mine didn't come with the brass foot weights either, and I'm not sure they ever did.....I'm thinking I'm only lacking the wrench.....It has a small screwdriver with it, but I'm not sure it came with the kit.....Condition is in wonderful shape for it's age.....The mask's rubber is supple and doesn't appear to have been used....I don't know what the going rate on these, but feel like I got a bargain.....Bodes

BigDogMilitaria

Very cool! If you dont mind sharing pictures, i would love to see yours. I had a heck of a time finding any info on mine when i bought it.

Very cool! If you dont mind sharing pictures, i would love to see yours. I had a heck of a time finding any info on mine when i bought it.

I tried to post photos last night but they were too big....Than went on to try and re-size them and I didn't have the right format....I'll try again later in the week.....Here's just a mask (helmet) I got on eBay about a year ago....It is different in ways than yours and my new set.....This one is devoid of a "flutter valve" and the clamps which hold the hoses on are black and not green....Material may be neoprene and quality seems to be higher.....Earlier example I would assume....Bodes

3bHPl.jpg

I tried to post photos last night but they were too big....Than went on to try and re-size them and I didn't have the right format....I'll try again later in the week.....Here's just a mask (helmet) I got on eBay about a year ago....It is different in ways than yours and my new set.....This one is devoid of a "flutter valve" and the clamps which hold the hoses on are black and not green....Material may be neoprene and quality seems to be higher.....Earlier example I would assume....Bodes

3bHPl.jpg

post-158180-0-19781600-1428445746.jpg