Air Raid Warden's Civil Defense Helmet

Guest oldmanscave

Guest oldmanscave

I recently purchased this at auction. It's a WWI-era, probably American, white helmet with the letter "D" and below 10-2-4. Does anyone have any information about it?

--Derrick

post-2291-1200251000.jpg

Guest oldmanscave

Thanks!

So that means it's more of a WWII era piece? 1940s? Or are we talking Cold War 1950s?

Any idea what the numbers mean?

--Derrick

Most likely explaination is the numbers would represent what zone they were responsible for...a hard date would be hard to determine without finding out what city/zone he was assigned to. Date???? I could only loosely estimate early 50's. Good piece of history wink2.gif

...So that means it's more of a WWII era piece? 1940s? Or are we talking Cold War 1950s?

Link here to see another discussion on these CD helmets: "Civil Defense Helmet MP"

It is remarked in that thread that the "deep dish" helmets came later in the CD epic rather than earlier. There undoubtedly was a plentiful supply of surplus M-1917A1 helmets available for CD and other non-military duties throughout the duration of WWII.

Here is a CD Air Raid Warden wearing the low-profile M-1917A1. He has "W" on his helmet rather than the official CD ARW symbol, which is shown on his brassard (upside down!) The occasion of the picture is a CD air raid drill in Honolulu, November 4, 1943, (Army Signal Corps photo).

240663100-L.jpg

Question to ADMIN: Is your CD poster dated?

The picture I actually got off the Internet but I have a poster like it all folded up. It appears neither are dated. The one I have I found in an old CD first aid kit - I'm guessing they were probably passed out folded and someone just stuck it in there since it fit so nicely.

• 5 weeks later...

The helmet was issued in the 1940s as part of the Office of Civilian Defense. You will note on the great chart posted above by Admin it identifies the various symbols of the Civilian Defense. This Air Raid Warden helmet and all items with symbols from this chart were created as part of the Civilian Defense Program called for by FDR in 1941. Civilian Defense was disbanded after WWII. When the Russians acquired the atomic bomb and once again the concern over attacks on the US emerged, the government created the Civil Defense program of the 1950s that existed during the Cold War and taught us to Duck and Cover and how to build a fallout shelter. This new organization was organized very different from the WWII organization. One easy way to distinguish between items from WWII and items from the Cold War is if they use Civilian Defense or Civil Defense or any of the symbols so related..

I should mention that I am sure a large quantity of the material used from WWII Civilian Defense was pressed into action when Civil Defense appeared in the early 1950s. My Grandfather used a white Civilian Defense helmet in the 1950s with the Air Raid Warden symbol so it is possible this was used then but it dates to 1940s Civilian Defense program.

Jim

Homefrontguy

Greg Robinson

I own a Korean War dated M1 helmet liner painted white and with an Civil Defense Warden decal on it. Those were around during the time people were building fallout shelters.....so figure early '60's....particularly after the Cuban missle crisis.

greg