"Trenched" EGA on ID'ed 1917 Dress Cap

kanemono

I just picked up this 1917 dress cap with a "Trenched" EGA. It is ID'ed to Michael T. Finn 272055 and made by Jacob Reed's Sons-Philadelphia. It has a silver 1914 German one Mark coin as a washer. I haven't had a chance to research it yet but it is already interesting.

Dick

post-9487-1337033276.jpg

post-9487-1337033290.jpg

post-9487-1337033297.jpg

post-9487-1337033304.jpg

post-9487-1337033311.jpg

wow nice

Michael T Finn

enlisted 25 April 1917

sgt 6th reg

83rd co

Silver Star cititation

Fantastic cover.

Congrats on the find.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Mickey Finn was a "legend" of the "Old Corps"

http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/userpages/MICKEY_FINN-200.php

The Mickey Finn Detachment is named in honor of Michael "Mickey" Finn - first Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps (1936) and Silver Star recipient. We're the largest Detachment in Virginia, 5th in the Nation. We are located just outside the MCB Quantico front gate and a stone's throw from the National Museum of the Marine Corps & Heritage Center. Planning a visit to the National Museum?

Bill

usmcaviator

Beautiful EGA, thin winged, pre-war variety, with the perfect amount of stippling. Almost makes it look like an officer piece. The history is simply gravy.

S/F,

Mike

Thanks for the information. I was surprised to find out who Michael T. Finn was. I took the cap in on a trade because of the "Trenched" EGA. I only learned about "Trenched" EGA's because of the pinned section here. I didn't care about the cap. I lucked out on the ID. Finn enlisted in 1915 and was also wounded (gassed) in WWI. The German Mark must have been a souvenir. He had a very interesting career I just wish he had served in China.

Mike, since Finn was a Gunnery Sergeant I bet he had a jeweler do the "Trenching" to make his EGA look like an officer's EGA.

Dick

I think he served in China - I saw a picture in Leatherneck some time ago that had him and Lou Diamond drinking beer in China

Bill

Amazing find... :w00t:

Was this the only item named to him? He was a colorful character to be sure. Marine Corps League post right off the front gate of Quantico is named the "Mickey Finn" detachment.

Cool piece of history, thank you for sharing it with us.

S/F

Leatherneck72

I have actually had a beer at that detachment. It has been a Quantico front gate icon for decades....

Does anyone have any information on Master Gunnery Sergeant Michael T. Finn? I have Ancestry.com and looked at his record which seems to be missing some important information. He served a number of tours in Nicaragua including at the American Legation. Ancestry ends in December 1940, where did he serve in WWII? I did see that he was a Post Office Guard which is interesting because that was the first use of the Thompson Sub-machine Gun by the Marines. The Thompsons bought by the Post Office wound up being used by the Marines in Nicaragua.

Dick

normaninvasion
Does anyone have any information on Master Gunnery Sergeant Michael T. Finn? I have Ancestry.com and looked at his record which seems to be missing some important information. He served a number of tours in Nicaragua including at the American Legation. Ancestry ends in December 1940, where did he serve in WWII? I did see that he was a Post Office Guard which is interesting because that was the first use of the Thompson Sub-machine Gun by the Marines. The Thompsons bought by the Post Office wound up being used by the Marines in Nicaragua.

Dick

You might try contacting member devildog34, I believe he has done research in reference to the Post Office Guard, Jeff

teufelhunde.ret
Does anyone have any information on Master Gunnery Sergeant Michael T. Finn? I have Ancestry.com and looked at his record which seems to be missing some important information. Ancestry ends in December 1940, where did he serve in WWII? Dick

Only a hunch on my part, BUT, I suspect he was never sent over (age, rank, experience). At the start of WW2 he was within a few years of 30 years and had spent many years before in various Quantico billets. To free up others more suited to go, Finn a very accomplished Marksman, (being only 1 of 82 Marines to have been "Double Distinguished" prior to WW2, although he never sought to compete in National Matches) his Marksmanship skills would have been badly needed, IE coaching young butter-bars on the ranges in Quantico, prior to going over... just a SWAG. Why not pull his files?

Only a hunch on my part, BUT, I suspect he was never sent over (age, rank, experience). At the start of WW2 he was within a few years of 30 years and had spent many years before in various Quantico billets. To free up others more suited to go, Finn a very accomplished Marksman, (being only 1 of 82 Marines to have been "Double Distinguished" prior to WW2, although he never sought to compete in National Matches) his Marksmanship skills would have been badly needed, IE coaching young butter-bars on the ranges in Quantico, prior to going over... just a SWAG. Why not pull his files?

Thank you, I bet you are correct. I will send for his files.

Dick

Master Gunnery Sergeant Michael T. Finn spent WWII at Quantico, VA working with the Police and Forestry. Ancestry.com has extended the US Marine Corps rolls to 1958.

Dick

• 3 years later...