What I have learned from the forum

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

A couple years ago I found this forum. I had decided to put all of my collecting efforts into Militaria and had been looking around for a site I could learn from but also felt comfortable posting at. I collected Sports Memorabilia for probably close to 30 years, ever since I was a boy. In the last 10 years or so I felt my attention to it fleeting. After really learning about the mass amount of product that was produced in the 80’s and 90’s (my heyday) I realized I really had nothing “unique”. Slowly but surely over the last few years I have liquidated a massive collection of autographed baseballs, pictures, game worn jerseys, equipment, etc. The last to go will be the vintage cards, (that is an ongoing process). Ive always dabbled in Militaria because of 2 Grandfathers who served in WWII and my general love of history. I had some cool stuff but it was always packed away.

I finally decided to register on USM last Summer, and it has been a wonderful experience. I truly cannot say enough about this great site. I am still learning and absorbing so much information and never once has someone made me feel like I asked a “stupid question”. I’ve exchanged PM’s with several of you and many have gone out of their way to help me in researching projects, providing some extra details on a find I may have posted about, and sometime just offering help on something they have seen in a display picture I have posted. I’ve also made several great transactions on the site and each one has gone smoothly and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

A lot of my finds come from estate and garage sales. That is my preferred method of acquisitions. I love the thrill of the hunt, the unknown on what I may have just picked up, and a lot of times its not too expensive!

I wanted to share a few things I have learned from my endless reading of current and old posts:

1. Research is key. Educate yourself. Invest in some good reference books. I gobbled up as many books as I could afford on Amazon about US uniforms and helmets. This has been a tremendous help. Also, beware of ebay! That 101st Ike selling for $150 might not be kosher. When in doubt, ask someone! (which I did once and boy did it save me a headache, while at the same time opening some doors)

2. There are many types of collectors. Helmet collectors, patch, medals, uniforms, units, etc. There are so many facets of Militaria collecting it is amazing. With the somewhat broad scope of my collecting (Detroit Area Vets) there is always someone who can answer my questions about a new pickup.

3. Keep a stash of extra cash. Several people have mentioned that they always keep a small stash tucked away because you never know whats around the corner. In my case I had “cash” tied up in sports items, but when the time came I was able to turn it around and make the good buys.

4. Nothing is impossible. I would have never thought in a million years I would own a named 101st Ike, a named 101st M42 and my own Grandfathers Air Corps jacket. Those were 3 items among many that I thought were impossible and out of reach for me, but somehow it all came together for me.

5. Displays. Where do I begin? How much better a nice named uniform looks on a mannequin. Ive seen so many great displays that I have stolen from and mixed with my own ideas. I look at some of my earlier display pics as opposed to the current look, and its night and day. Its constantly evolving and I love it.

6. Have fun. I do this with my Dad. Thanks to working a shift that allows it, I can spend a few hours on a Thursday and Friday morning driving around with my Dad looking for new stuff. We always have fun. A couple times it has been stressful, but we have learned how to avoid that. For example, If a sale shows some TR stuff, I will avoid it. Its not worth the BS. We have a lot of fun just researching items we picked up. For example the recent SF shirt and ‘Nam airborne lid I found has given us something to read up on for the last 3 days.

7. Be patient and don’t let the hobby take over. I have to admit, there have been a few times I have been obsessed about picking something up. Ive gotten away from that and just let the chips fall as they may. As I have read on here many times, “you will always find something else”.

8. Shows. I don’t normally go to shows. I don’t care for the dealers I have met in the area. I have gone to 3 local shows in this area in the last year. I got the impression that no one was there to do business and my mere presence was annoyance to them. Seriously, I went to a show last weekend and not one guy asked me if there was anything I was looking for or even offered a “hello”. I see so many awesome people on this site, many of them dealers that I know its not like that every where. Ive watched some of the videos posted from that Pamona show and was quite envious.

9. Find a focus. A lot of people probably look at my collection and see lack of focus. But there is focus. I try to stick with Detroit area, named items, usually uniforms. I will buy something here and there because I just think its cool, but hey, that’s part of the fun.

10. US collecting is the best! I have a couple of great TR bring back helmets, but honestly I do not consider them jewels of my collection, although value wise they could be considered that.

Ok, well if anyone took the time to read this, thanks! I basically just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for really lighting a fire for me!

Jack's Son

If sounds as though you have set a good foundation to build on. Now revisit this threads in two years and see how you've done! :thumbsup: :lol:

he is so right! i joined about a year ago. due to health,i am home most of the time. the information that all you guys give is priceless.this was 1 of my best moves. i also have been learning how to spell and my hunt and peak has been geting better. :lol:

craig_pickrall

Thank you for the nice comments about the forum. There is a great bunch of people on here that will always help.

Well said...you've nailed it. We're just one, big, happy collecting "family" on here! It's a fun place to be! :thumbsup:

Aircorps,

Have you thought about collecting military sports related items? items from the Army Special Services are kinda scarce, and it IS one of those areas of sports memorabilia that will hold its collecting value.

BigDogMilitaria
Aircorps,

Have you thought about collecting military sports related items? items from the Army Special Services are kinda scarce, and it IS one of those areas of sports memorabilia that will hold its collecting value.

I've thought about it, and if I see something locally I may pick it up. But to be honest, i think I am burned out on Sports Collecting in general. I did however pickup an old WWII era softball recently that was signed by a bunch of Pilots and crew members. But if its something local, i will definately consider it, as my Grandpas WWII service was highlighted by his prolific softball playing!

I've done a lot of research on some old school sports card message boards and read a few books about the "false market" that was created for baseball cards, autographs, etc. Also the sheer amount of fraud that is commited is dumbfounding. While in the process of flipping my collection I learned that I had a couple of fake autographs in my collection that I had paid handsomly for and proudly displayed for years.

My feeling on Militaria is that everything I get is a "one of a kind". My grouping belonging to an engineer who served in the CBI is the only one in existance. I feel a lot of pride in this stuff when i look at it. The sacrifice these men made, the bravery the items represent just makes me beam ear to ear when I look at it.

I've thought about it, and if I see something locally I may pick it up. But to be honest, i think I am burned out on Sports Collecting in general. I did however pickup an old WWII era softball recently that was signed by a bunch of Pilots and crew members. But if its something local, i will definately consider it, as my Grandpas WWII service was highlighted by his prolific softball playing!

I've done a lot of research on some old school sports card message boards and read a few books about the "false market" that was created for baseball cards, autographs, etc. Also the sheer amount of fraud that is commited is dumbfounding. While in the process of flipping my collection I learned that I had a couple of fake autographs in my collection that I had paid handsomly for and proudly displayed for years.

My feeling on Militaria is that everything I get is a "one of a kind". My grouping belonging to an engineer who served in the CBI is the only one in existance. I feel a lot of pride in this stuff when i look at it. The sacrifice these men made, the bravery the items represent just makes me beam ear to ear when I look at it.

Absolutely! Every piece (especially identified pieces) has a unique story to tell. The variety is seemingly endless, and with so many areas to specialize in, it can get difficult to burn out entirely. Just ask Dave - he's sold his collection many times over in order to refocus, and he is still going strong!

I feel for you. Your hooked. Welcome to the club. This Forum is basicly a good group of people. Setting here in the middle of the nation I have friends all over the world. Really enjoyed your comments. Robert

BigDogMilitaria
Your evolution is only beginning! :thumbsup:

Haha, i know. I shudder to think what things will look like in a few years! As long as I keep it in the basement, and keep the Fabreze and air freshners flowing, i think my other half will put up with my collecting. She doesnt venture downstairs too often, but the other day she remarked "wow, i thought i was going to smell like Ark Surplus down here!" :w00t:

Jack's Son
...... As long as I keep it in the basement, and keep the Fabreze and air freshners flowing, i think my other half will put up with my collecting..... :w00t:

:lol: This will be fun!! :lol:

Dirt Detective
10. US collecting is the best! I have a couple of great TR bring back helmets, but honestly I do not consider them jewels of my collection, although value wise they could be considered that.

Good list.. now...why dont you sell these to me and use the money to buy some more U.S. stuff. :w00t:

BigDogMilitaria
Good list.. now...why dont you sell these to me and use the money to buy some more U.S. stuff. :w00t:

:lol:

The adventures i endured to get both of them will make me hold onto them for a while. I can send you a couple pics in a PM if you'd like! Honestly, part of the fun i have showing off the two helmets which are both parts of seperate Vet bring back groupings.

My Dad and I endured a 6hr odyssey of sorts to obtain a 45th DIvision Vets uniform and bring backs. I will never forget the fun me and the Old man had that day! We arrived 6 hrs early to a sale, were stopped by the Cops, had to put with several attempts to intimidate us into leaving by some pickers, dodged some people who dove in the door right behind me (yes.. DOVE!) To get a named 45th Ike, German helmet, bayonet, canteen, mess kit and various pins. The best part of the day was when we got home and opened the mess kit.... It was stuffed with silk TR armbands that hadnt seen the light of day for 65 years! (the mess kit was $15, it had 6 armbands of various styles)

The other one came through the hands of a noted WWII historian/collector who really taught me the right way to collect. His best piece of advice was, "if its not named, and you cannot confirm who wore it, the uniform will be worth the sum of its parts". Then he broke out the helmet with all the information i could possibly need, including who brought it home.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
BigDogMilitaria

I just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks again to everyone on this forum for all of their comments, help and suggestions. I sometimes feel like I post to many threads with acquisitions and questions. I try to chime in on the few threads that i have something to add to, but the help you guys have provided far outnumbers anything i can offer. I dont really have a circle of Military collecting friends other than a couple, so I really enjoy coming to the forum and sharing my finds. Everyone on here has always been great!

I think my collecting has evolved dramatically since I joined this forum. Im now able to turn things down that are either overpriced, a dime a dozen or low quality. Most importantly I have a much better focus on what im looking for. I'm out hunting down leads, searching the 'net every day. This morning i spent time organizing a display for a 29th ID Medic grouping i purchased from a member here.

Anyways, just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here for making this my favorite stop on the net!

Another satisfied customer! Nice of you to openly express your thanks to our online community. I'm sure we've all benefited from our forum membership...I know I have...and therefore we all know exactly where you're coming from! ;)

Another satisfied customer! Nice of you to openly express your thanks to our online community. I'm sure we've all benefited from our forum membership...I know I have...and therefore we all know exactly where you're coming from! ;)

;)

• 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Well I agree with most of what you say. As far as nothing being impossible I prefer to say something’s might be unlikely. I think it is very unlikely I will ever locate my dad’s bring back Luger and personalized gravity knife. I’ve been looking for years.