Photo

WW2 Officer EGA's What is special about these?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 LuftStalg1

LuftStalg1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,093
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Don't much about the EGA's but was wondering what is special about this set? :think:

Attached Images

• EGA_1b.jpg

#2 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

If I am not mistaken, this is a pattern/style that is normally associated with "sweetheart" jewelry, with only one side normally found. Having both sides would lend credence to it also being used as a collar set on officer blues, so therefore some people might think it more scarce than the single. Besides that, there is nothing special with that set. I think these were most seen in the 1950's to early 1960's before the release of the current 1962 style EGA we still use today.

#3 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

My brother is close. I think that these were probably the last of the Corps Devices used on the dress epaulettes of the officer's pre-war mess dress. By WW2's start the uniform's function had faded from importance (more important to win the war then dressing up). And after the war, the epaulettes were no longer a part of the uniform. You cant get post backed EGAs on the knotted epaulettes, only pinbacked EGAs fit. While these very well could have been worn or placed on the collar, almost all uniforms by this time had reinforced eyelets for post backed insignia. Collectors view these pinbacks as variations. It is tough to find any 1937 pattern EGAs in pinback form as they were only around for a few years before the need for them disappeared. A normal postbacked set would run you about $150 in today's market. These brought double that ($310) due to their relative scarcity compared to most.

S/F,
Mike

#4 LuftStalg1

LuftStalg1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,093
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

My brother is close. I think that these were probably the last of the Corps Devices used on the dress epaulettes of the officer's pre-war mess dress. By WW2's start the uniform's function had faded from importance (more important to win the war then dressing up). And after the war, the epaulettes were no longer a part of the uniform. You cant get post backed EGAs on the knotted epaulettes, only pinbacked EGAs fit. While these very well could have been worn or placed on the collar, almost all uniforms by this time had reinforced eyelets for post backed insignia. Collectors view these pinbacks as variations. It is tough to find any 1937 pattern EGAs in pinback form as they were only around for a few years before the need for them disappeared. A normal postbacked set would run you about $150 in today's market. These brought double that ($310) due to their relative scarcity compared to most.

S/F,
Mike

Thanks for the history lesson Mike. :thumbsup: The study of EGA's alone requires a Doctorate and I just started my first week of this class! :blink:

Edited by LuftStalg1, 11 May 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#5 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users