17 replies to this topic

#1 cmjordan77

cmjordan77
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,002
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

Hi,
I wanted to post this to see if ANYONE can help!!!
I recently purchased a roll of film that has NEVER been developed.
The film came from a WWII Military Photographer.
It was in his barracks bag down in the bottom and his wife said that no one had opened that bad since he came home from WWII.
The film is still in its original metal container and still in the original film box.

The metal film canister has a paper tag so someone could put notes of what the film contained.
The note the gentleman put on the canister states: "AT THE HILL SPECIAL TAKE HOME!! WWII"

The film is KODACHROME.

I spoke to a few folks around here in Greenville SC and none of the local film stores will touch it.

I heard there is a website that does work for the Smithsonian and for police and develops film but I cant find anything.

Can ANYONE recommend who I can contact to get this film developed??

Once developed, I will post the pictures on this site so everyone can see what the original film actually had on it.

IF (and I am thinking that it is a big IF) the film will actually develop.

ALSO, I was thinking that if I ship it to whomever through the mail and it is XRAYED, that it will destroy the film.

You know that alot of items now are XRAYED for good reasons, but I am afraid on this.
Any recommendations on shipping film too??

Thanks to all who look and all who reply.

Sincerely
Chad

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

Contact the folks at http://rockymountainfilm.com/ do not get your hopes up http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/ermm.gif

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,631 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

This place specializes in Kodachrome:

Dwayne's Photo
415 S. 32nd Street
Parsons, KS, 67357
USA
(620) 421-3940
http://www.k14movies.com/

I would suggest that you tell them you realize this is very much a gamble and that you will include a signed release stating that you realize the film can be ruined by the developing process and that you release the lab from all liability.

Rocky Mountain can develop Kodachrome as black and white, by the way.

#4 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

I found this site a while back, and it looks like what you need: http://www.filmrescue.com/index.html

I have not used them so can not make any recommendations.

One thing youmight try is to find a small, independent camera shop or a professional photo/camera shop in your area, and go in and talk to them. Don't try any of the big-name mall stores since they are generally staffed by boneheads who just want to sell you the latest digital camera.

Hope this helps.

Steve

#5 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 271
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

Another thought.....try your local newspaper for the 'human interest' angle. Not only might they have some actual photographers on staff who know how to do their own developing and such, they may do the work 'gratis' if they can publish the photographs. OR, they know someone who can.

Just a thought.....

#6 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,631 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

One thing youmight try is to find a small, independent camera shop or a professional photo/camera shop in your area, and go in and talk to them. Don't try any of the big-name mall stores since they are generally staffed by boneheads who just want to sell you the latest digital camera.

Hope this helps.

Steve

There have only ever been a few labs that developed Kodachrome: it's much more complicated that print film or even other slide films and no local labs have ever developed it. At one time no matter who you took your film to, they all sent it off to Kodak. The above mentioned Dwayne's is the "only remaining Kodak certified processor of Kodachrome in the U.S." and they process some Kodachrome films that even Kodak will no longer handle.

Kodachrome is famed for its deep rich colors and longevity so if any film can handle 60+ years in storage this is it. On ebay un-exposed Kodachrome film with 1970's expiration dates can still sell for several dollars a roll. A few years ago I bought a 60 rolls of Kodachrome 16mm film for $5 each: they had expired perhaps five years before. To my surprise they sold as fast as I could list them at an average of $30 a roll (more than they cost new).

#7 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

My Dad was one who always took photos of us kids, family events, etc., but never seemed to get the film developed. I can recall a large serving bowl that sat on top of our fridge and it was filled with unprocessed rolls. It was not until about 1977 or 1978 that he took them in. Turns out most of the photos were taken between 1962 and 1965! There was not a problem with a single image.

#8 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hope this helps.

Steve

There have only ever been a few labs that developed Kodachrome: it's much more complicated that print film or even other slide films and no local labs have ever developed it. At one time no matter who you took your film to, they all sent it off to Kodak. The above mentioned Dwayne's is the "only remaining Kodak certified processor of Kodachrome in the U.S." and they process some Kodachrome films that even Kodak will no longer handle.

Kodachrome is famed for its deep rich colors and longevity so if any film can handle 60+ years in storage this is it. On ebay un-exposed Kodachrome film with 1970's expiration dates can still sell for several dollars a roll. A few years ago I bought a 60 rolls of Kodachrome 16mm film for $5 each: they had expired perhaps five years before. To my surprise they sold as fast as I could list them at an average of $30 a roll (more than they cost new).

I probably should have explained myself better. What I was suggesting was going to the shop for advice, not on-site developing. There used to be a small, one-man photo/camera shop here in town. The guy was amazing - if he couldn't do it himself, he knew who could. I had WWII "yard long" unit photos copied as well as some 3x5 inch color transparencies from my grandfather's WWII scrapbook. The work was quick and inexpensive. I had called just about every "photo developing" store in the phone book with no luck until I walked in there one day.

Unfortunately, he went out of business about a year ago, a victim of mall stores and digital cameras. We had several conversations about the future, or lack thereof, of film cameras.

Anyway, contact Dwayne's as Forum Support suggested, but if you want to talk face-to-face with someone knowledgeable, try to find a small independent camera store.

My .02.

Steve

#9 Flightmedic

Flightmedic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,882
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

I'm very interested in how this one turns out. I would love to see the photos when you get it developed. Thanks for the post.

#10 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

nice find but,---- it may not be any good. it can be deteriorated from age where it will just fall apart. its a gamble.

#11 ehrentitle

ehrentitle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 146
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

My Dad was one who always took photos of us kids, family events, etc., but never seemed to get the film developed. I can recall a large serving bowl that sat on top of our fridge and it was filled with unprocessed rolls. It was not until about 1977 or 1978 that he took them in. Turns out most of the photos were taken between 1962 and 1965! There was not a problem with a single image.

That's me still! I still have a bag of undeveloped 35mm, Super 8 Movie, 110, and Disc film from the 80s and 90s in a bag somewhere.

I have made some progress and broke down late last year and bought a DVD burner that will convert VHS movies to DVD.

I also have several Super 8 Movies that I need converted to DVD. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go?

Kevin

#12 CW4AFB

CW4AFB
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,235
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

That's me still! I still have a bag of undeveloped 35mm, Super 8 Movie, 110, and Disc film from the 80s and 90s in a bag somewhere.

I have made some progress and broke down late last year and bought a DVD burner that will convert VHS movies to DVD.

I also have several Super 8 Movies that I need converted to DVD. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go?

Kevin

Kevin---not sure where you are located but if you are near the Southside Virginia area, there is a guy in Hopewell who converted a potload of my super 8fils from tdys to Japan and Korea in the early 80s to dvd...---not cheap but well worth the money and make sure you have him add a music soundtrack of the period music...makes all the difference whe you are watching....Al

#13 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 889
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

Have you gotten this stuff developed? I can't wait if this stuff is good.
Andrew

#14 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

I know some people in my area have had some success with Iowa State University.Some picture resoration as well as developing.Cant say they ever did or do Kodachrome.I think the key factor is how it was stored.If kept dry and away from heat/cold temperture changes I would say you have a good chance it will come out.I would do as Amin suggested.Call Dwaynes not out anything and I bet he is a intesting guy to talk to.I know you can get mailer for floppy discs that have no Xray on them.We have them here at work.I would hope the post office would work with you as long as they know whats going on.

I know a guy who took a lot of photos of the Atomic bomb results days after the mission.He still has several undelveloped rolls.He is afraid to say much as he thinks its still classified.He was suppose to turn in all film and camera but he had forgotten the 4 rolls in his flight suit.Im sure he still has them.I hope he is still alive as I havent seen him in a few years.

RON

#15 Collector5516

Collector5516
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,143
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I realize this is a very old thread but was really curious as to what happened with this film???

#16 sactroop

sactroop
  • Members
    • Member ID: 17,422
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Just an update to the subject covered by this thread; regarding developing Kodachrome (K-14) type film.

http://www.kodak.com..._requestid=5096

http://www.dwaynesph...slide-film.html

Apparently Rocky Mountain Film Labs does offer to process the K-14 type film to black and white but I would read the following thru and thru.

http://www.rockymoun...ilm.com/k14.htm

#17 leicadokyu

leicadokyu
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 161,760
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

I wanted to post this to see if ANYONE can help!!!
I recently purchased a roll of film that has NEVER been developed.
The film came from a WWII Military Photographer.
It was in his barracks bag down in the bottom and his wife said that no one had opened that bad since he came home from WWII.
The film is still in its original metal container and still in the original film box.

The metal film canister has a paper tag so someone could put notes of what the film contained.
The note the gentleman put on the canister states: "AT THE HILL SPECIAL TAKE HOME!! WWII"

The film is KODACHROME.

I spoke to a few folks around here in Greenville SC and none of the local film stores will touch it.

I heard there is a website that does work for the Smithsonian and for police and develops film but I cant find anything.

Can ANYONE recommend who I can contact to get this film developed??

Once developed, I will post the pictures on this site so everyone can see what the original film actually had on it.

IF (and I am thinking that it is a big IF) the film will actually develop.

ALSO, I was thinking that if I ship it to whomever through the mail and it is XRAYED, that it will destroy the film.

You know that alot of items now are XRAYED for good reasons, but I am afraid on this.
Any recommendations on shipping film too??

Thanks to all who look and all who reply.

Sincerely
Chad

Hi Chad,

May i know what happened here? Where you able to find  a lab who can work with the film? Kodakchrome is a transparency film that is unique with later slide films such as Fuji or Ilford(uses E6 processing) as it uses K-14 chemicals which was discontinued years ago. Dwayne's photo was the last lab certified by Kodak who can process Kodakchrome but the service got discontinued on 2010. Chemicals used to process this film becomes expensive because of the digital boom where in Photographers switched from Film Cameras to Digital Cameras. Its sad as this film produces a very lively and vivid photographs which for me has more life than of digital photographs. Steve Mccurry is a renowned war/documentary photographer who is known for using Kodakchrome. I know someone who might be able to help in processing those films. He is a professor of photography and a well known photographer in the Philippines. He is a genius and obsessed with this form of Art and even formulates his own film processing chemicals. He might have an alternative chemicals that can process Kodakchrome. I will get in touch with him and will see what he got but of course it's up to you still if you are willing to entrust the work to him. By the way his name is Jay Javier and you can google him for more info. 

Best Regards,
Iver

#18 Looper5920

Looper5920
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,251
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:40 PM

www.dimoc.mil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users