USAF patch ID?

beezman

Here's a pretty good thumbnail history of USAF survival schools: http://www.usafals.net/Survival%20Schools/USAF%20Water%20Survival%20Training.htm. It only made sense at the time that the school were collocated with major SAC units since they had the bulk of the aircrew, except maybe MATS. Besides Fairchild in Wa and Eilson in Alaska, both SAC bases there was also one at Kadena on Okinawa while the B~52s flew from there.

It would not be surprising that the patch is a locally authorized patch for the guys assigned to the survival school. Back then the commander was usually a pilot as were most of the officers which might explain the officer in the flight suit. Though fatigues were the normal duty uniform flight suits would be authorized to help better demonstrate aircrew survival techniques.

Until the early '70s survival schools occupied a rather hallowed place on the bases because of the uniqueness of their job. Good guys.

• 1 year later...

It's the same tiger patch I have stitched on my old sage green flight shirt from the late 50s. It was the 301st Bomb Squadon (H) patch. It was an RB-36 unit then and I was crew L-72's tail gunner.

Would post a picture of the shirt, can't get "paste" to come up.