tarbridge

tarbridge

P1010005__450x351___425x332___2_.jpg

Corporal Larry Curtis Wrenn USMC

Ser#239788035

MOS: 0331 Machine Gunner

Unit: CAP 3-2-5,CACO 3-2,3rd CAG,III MAF

Birth: 5 July 1948 Fayetteville,North Carolina

KIA:26th September 1969 Corporal Wrenn and Pfc.William M.Johnson members of the Combined Action Plt.3-2-5 were lost to Rocket propelled grenades 5 kilometers southeast of Phu Loc District.

Corporal Wrenn's group includes his medals- frame mounted and his Purple Heart which is un-named as it should be.The grouping includes his Platoon graduation book,Purple Heart certificate and USMC Honorable Service Death accolade.Larry Wrenn was a local Fayetteville boy and this group came straight from the family.R.I.P Corporal Wrenn

Robert Directly from the family and a local North Carolina marine.It doesn't get much better.Having the paperwork makes the group.Corporal Wrenn sacrafice will not be forgotten.Rip Marine

may this soldier rest in piece.

I also have a question: Is it common to find killed in action purple hearts not engraved from world war two, korea or Vietnam and if so what was the circumstance.

thanks,

Brandyn

tarbridge
may this soldier rest in piece.

I also have a question: Is it common to find killed in action purple hearts not engraved from world war two, korea or Vietnam and if so what was the circumstance.

thanks,

Brandyn

Brandyn.The discussion has been that the Marine Corps quit engraving Purple Hearts around 1968.WWII and Korea Purple Hearts should be engraved for KIAs.But I will say,I have seen groups with Purple Heart certificates and accolades and un-named medals for KIAs.Robert

Was 1968 when the marine corp stoped engraving only or did the army, navy and air force do it around the same time also? I asked about world wat two because I bought a picture, gold star pin in white box and none engraved wwii purple heart supposedly from a kia the only problem is no documentation.

thanks for the reply and as always nice sombering find I hope my illinois heart collection gets like your north carolina one.

Brandyn

Kurt Barickman

My brother was KIA with L/3/5 on 7-27-1969 and his PH is not engraved.

Kurt Barickman

tarbridge
Was 1968 when the marine corp stoped engraving only or did the army, navy and air force do it around the same time also? I asked about world wat two because I bought a picture, gold star pin in white box and none engraved wwii purple heart supposedly from a kia the only problem is no documentation.

thanks for the reply and as always nice sombering find I hope my illinois heart collection gets like your north carolina one.

Brandyn

The Army was still engraving after 1968 and I think the Air Force and Navy still continued also after that time.I have seen Un-Named Purple Hearts with Documents for WWII KIAs.Anything can Happen,As Al Gleim said as soon as you say No Way-Here it comes.Keep plugging Brandyn and that Illinois Collection will grow.Robert

vicjoy1945

The USMC stopped officially engraving posthumous Purple Hearts towards the end of 1968.

I have an officially name Vietnam USMC Purple Heart where the KIA date was June of 68...I think...I'd have to pull the file to double check that but that's about the latest I've seen for an officially engraved posthumous Vietnam USMC Purple Heart.

Vic

The USMC stopped officially engraving posthumous Purple Hearts towards the end of 1968.

I have an officially name Vietnam USMC Purple Heart where the KIA date was June of 68...I think...I'd have to pull the file to double check that but that's about the latest I've seen for an officially engraved posthumous Vietnam USMC Purple Heart.

Vic

Vic - I believe the USMC ceased engraving PHs in June 1968 so yours is among the last they did. Army KIA PHs from Vietnam are always engraved. I believe USAF & USN are as well. Why USMC stopped is only conjecture. Bob