Civil War photo that will bring tears to your eyes. Well, maybe not but I know I cried a little when I first laid eyes on it.

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I recently purchased a box full of old papers at a local auction. And when I was going through the box I spotted this photo sticking hallway out from under the other papers. Naturally I saw the bottom half first and I will have to admit that I got rather excited and thought I found a diamond in the rough. And then I got just as disappointed when I pulled it out and got a good look at the photo. I wish there was some great story to go along with the photo such as the photo was found in the pocket of a soldier that was killed at Antietam with his blood freshly dried onto the photo. But what looks like possible blood on the photo looks more like plain old purple ink to the naked eye. Even with the huge stain I still thinks that it is a pretty cool photo. The stamp on the back states the price of the photos and the photographers name and his address on Eutaw Street in Baltimore.

post-1412-1335937370.jpg

Hi Manchu Warrior<

That looks like a nice pic. I believe the stain on your picture is not the blood from the soldier. I have had many items from former wars with dried blood on them and it is always black. Still a nice photo.

Terry

It looks like a nice company portrait of Federal soldiers. The standard Civil War company numbered 100 men, but you will notice there is only around 50 or so men present. No doubt a veteran regiment who had participated in many a campaign!

Even with the stain, it's a nice picture!

bunkerhillburning

You probably know this but if not, it can be restored digitally. Would take a good deal of time and cost a bit but its possible.

Quite a nice photo.

X_redcatcher

with the three line officers I would also say its a company. Too bad there is no id to a unit :( Are there any Corps Badges to be seen??

Manchu Warrior
with the three line officers I would also say its a company. Too bad there is no id to a unit :( Are there any Corps Badges to be seen??

Actually there is something written very lightly on the back in pencil. I will have to take some time and see if I can read it. As far as badges to be seen I cannot find my loop so I can't get any real close views. I appreciate the comments. Thanks!

Manchu Warrior

The following is written on the back of the photo, Edward C Eichelberger of Baltimore City. I found a Corporal Edward C Eichelberger in the rosters of Volunteers out of York County PA and it is a good possibility that it is him because York County is right above Baltimore County MD and the family papers in the box indicated that the family lived in Baltimore County for many many years. Does any have any information on this soldier?

GIl Sanow

I think of you send the standard form in to NARA with the information you have, it is entirely likely they can find your Eichelberger(s) -- you have an area of origin and good names. It is certainly worth the effort.

G

Manchu Warrior
I think of you send the standard form in to NARA with the information you have, it is entirely likely they can find your Eichelberger(s) -- you have an area of origin and good names. It is certainly worth the effort.

G

I actually only live about an hour from DC and I have been to the National Archives in person at least a half a dozen times. However, it has been a good fifteen years or so since I have been there and I am not even sure if I would still have to go into DC or College Park which would actually be much closer. And I also have other family matters to take care of so maybe its time to plan another trip. Thanks!

GIl Sanow

Truthfully, it is probably easier to do by mail -- the form is online and perhaps you can even submit it electronically. You would probably need to give a credit card number and it all comes through at once -- no cost if no success.

G

Manchu Warrior
Truthfully, it is probably easier to do by mail -- the form is online and perhaps you can even submit it electronically. You would probably need to give a credit card number and it all comes through at once -- no cost if no success.

G

I appreciate the information. Thanks!

Civilwardata.com is also a FANTASTIC research site. They allow you to access around 3.5 million Civil War service records - all for a yearly fee of $25. You will probably find the same information on that site (including photographs, if available) as you would from NARA.

Manchu Warrior
Civilwardata.com is also a FANTASTIC research site. They allow you to access around 3.5 million Civil War service records - all for a yearly fee of $25. You will probably find the same information on that site (including photographs, if available) as you would from NARA.

I have always enjoyed going to the National Archives and at times I have been overwhelmed, in a good way, with the amount of information I was able to find. With that said I still appreciate the information and I may have look into it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Outstanding!!! That is a Great photograph! Civil war photos are incredibly rare. That looks like an original! It is fantastic and I have never seen this one before! You are a lucky guy. Any chance you want to sell/ trade it?

Seriously, if that is an unknown company CDV/reprint from @ 1862-4, you are THE luckiest man I know on this forum- this year anyway.

Manchu Warrior
Seriously, if that is an unknown company CDV/reprint from @ 1862-4, you are THE luckiest man I know on this forum- this year anyway.

I am far from an expert but it looks real. Or should I say looked real because at the moment I am not even sure what hole I stuck in in? :think: