ERDL M65 Field jacket.

firebird_one

firebird_one

This jacket was manufactured by ALPHA in the late 70:s and early 80:s. There is currently a urban myth about these jackets that they were made in limited numbers for special forces by the end of the Vietnam war. This is based on a statement from the Alpha company that they were produced by the end of the vietnam war. Wich they in fact are, but several years after the war ended.There is a "RN" number, a number required for commercial sales but not required for government sales. The RN number is a Federal ID number that identifies the manufacturer. They are also marked made in USA wich no military contract garment ever have been. The lack of a military DSA code also is a giveaway. The myth about this jacket is all about boosting price for a "rare and unusaul jacket". Only way this jacket could have been used by military personel is if they were privatly purchased and used in service.

Regards

Ken

post-670-1335890327.jpg

craig_pickrall

Those jackets were plentiful on the civilian market. Most surplus stores had them and some other stores as well.

Am I seeing a rip-stop weave in the fabric...or is it just the effect of digital pixels?! :think:

craig_pickrall

The ones I own and what I remember seeing at surplus stores were made from the same material as the uniforms. They were rip stop. The outer cover was not water repellent.

The ones I own and what I remember seeing at surplus stores were made from the same material as the uniforms. They were rip stop. The outer cover was not water repellent.

Roger that Craig...thank you! :thumbsup: