The Banned WWII Bugs Bunny Cartoons.

patches

The topic on Comic books covers got me to thinking about those Merry Melody Cartoons from the War Years, I and I know the 50 and over crowd remember them being on T.V. in the 60s and 70s. They were all pulled forever from being broadcast I think in the 80s, or 90s, I really don't think there are allowed to shown at all even on cable. Rather than post each link to a individual Cartoon, I have posted the page, here you that are interested can just watch them as you like, And Remember, YOUR A SAP MISTER Japanese :lol:

The topic on Comic books covers got me to thinking about those Merry Melody Cartoons from the War Years, I and I know the 50 and over crowd remember them being on T.V. in the 60s and 70s. They were all pulled forever from being broadcast I think in the 80s, or 90s, I really don't think there are allowed to shown at all even on cable. Rather than post each link to a individual Cartoon, I have posted the page, here you that are interested can just watch them as you like, And Remember, YOUR A SAP MISTER Japanese :lol:

link?

• 2 weeks later...
They are not political correct that could be why they were banned.

Thats a certainty my friend, but perhaps I will concede that these cartoons are past their revelancy, but what I WILL NOT tolerate, would be attacks and charges of racism on the now passed people who put these things together back in those days, this was done to buck up the American people who's country was in the midst of total war.

I could not agree more with you those were different times but the political correct haters could care less as long as they get there way. Thats why these cartoons would be banned to add to there power.

Thats a certainty my friend, but perhaps I will concede that these cartoons are past their revelancy, but what I WILL NOT tolerate, would be attacks and charges of racism on the now passed people who put these things together back in those days, this was done to buck up the American people who's country was in the midst of total war.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Homefrontguy

Nobody ever banned them in terms of a law or anything official. I have tried to assemble all of the cartoons that have been identified for having some sort of inappropriate content which usually fits into one of two categories, a) it is offensive to a group of people whether it be the portrayal of the Japanese in a WW2 cartoon or Blacks in one titled Coal Black and the Seben Dwarfes which had themes of rationing but used Black characters. 2) Sexual Themes keeping in mind that many of these early cartoons were designed for adults as well.

Many of these companies simply would not show them anymore so if you use the word banned, it was self imposed. I have found some of these released in the 80s on VHS on tapes that had maybe four or five vinatge cartoons so you could still find them just not on network TV. The cartoon network used to show these old cartoons at night but now they just show weird stuff, but that is just my opiniion. Even the Disney company, withheld Donald Duck in Nutzi Land (my favorite of them all) and others for a long time including Education for Death. Sometime in the last ten years, Disney released a DVD set with them all about DIsney Goes to War and they have embraced the cartoons for their historic value.

I think people like to label them as banned becuase it gets ones attention. If you saw a link that said old cartoons not shown anymore thats not exciting, but banned ... people want to see what was banned.

I actually use a couple of these when I teach WW2 propaganda and they have great historic value but I am always cognizant to distinguish between historic value and makling fun of people today.

• 1 month later...
RelicHunter99
I could not agree more with you those were different times but the political correct haters could care less as long as they get there way. Thats why these cartoons would be banned to add to there power.

Different times is an irrelevant term when you think about putting American citizens into concentration camps.

• 2 weeks later...

I know some of the WWII era cartoons have been released on DVD, such as Herr Meets Hare and Russian Rhapsody but I don't think any portraying the Japanese have been made available.

This one is probably the biggest offender of all...

• 1 year later...

CIgarettes are enough to get a cartoon banned. My little son's favorite cartoon is the 1947 or so Roy Rogers/Disney "Pecos Bill" cartoon. Occasionlly it shows up on youtube.

You had to be there at the time. It's called Propaganda. All countries did it and still do. Just different themes for different times. There was a war to be won and it needed the general public to Hate The Enemy. It needed to get young 17 year old high school students to be willing to put their lives on the line to Kill The Enemy. It is now History.....and to call these behaviors "politically incorrect" based on today's standards is kind of stupid......IMHO. BTW I was 3 1/2 on 7 December 1941. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

You had to be there at the time. It's called Propaganda. All countries did it and still do. Just different themes for different times. There was a war to be won and it needed the general public to Hate The Enemy. It needed to get young 17 year old high school students to be willing to put their lives on the line to Kill The Enemy. It is now History.....and to call these behaviors "politically incorrect" based on today's standards is kind of stupid......IMHO. BTW I was 3 1/2 on 7 December 1941. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Right on.

I don't agree at all with "airbrushing" history because of the current obsession with "political correctness"!! Things must be considered in context. In WW2 the Japanese were "Japs" or "Nips" and the Germans "Jerries" or "Krauts". The "Japs" all had buck teeth and pebble glasses and the "Jerries" square jaws and duelling scars. Racial stereotypes? Maybe. But when these countries waged unprovoked total war against our respective countries, our governments had a duty to motivate their populations to rally around the flag. They were our enemies...the bad guys...so if they were mocked, lampooned or otherwise ridiculed in the media then so be it! Times were different then...you can't erase history, despite the efforts of some modern revisionists! :o

This one was very popular in Britain in the early war years.