• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

You'll likey never see another set of pre 1890's this nice! Congrat's to the newowner... :twothumbup:

http://www.williamsm.....0and more.htm.

msg_6240_1332793622.jpg msg_6240_1332793640.jpg

12_04_1124_20Medium_20Web_20view.jpg 12_04_1125_20Medium_20Web_20view.jpg

#2 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Amazing pieces. Wonder if these can be traced to the original officer. Seem to go together.

#3 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Amazing pieces. Wonder if these can be traced to the original officer. Seem to go together.

Anybody know what those 2 sold for?

#4 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Gone before I could see :pinch:

#5 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Anybody know what those 2 sold for?

I understand they sold for $1800 each. Great Buy in my opinion. Wish it was me! Semper Fi......Bobgee

#6 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

The service version should be one of, if not, the very first officer's service hat device. I believe that these are transition pieces from the 1870's style (very stylistic eagles and anchors that were hand produced by jewelers making each piece one-of-a-kind) to the mass-produced styles of the early 1900's. The stubby eagles are distinctly a holdover from the 1870's, as is the large anchor. It is my opinion that the officer's service device shown above, pre-existed the regulations calling for it. The 1892 Regulations and the update 1900 Regulations do not mention it. The 1900 Regs do mention officer service collar devices on the tropical uniform however, and it is likely this is where the requirement for a hat device also came to be. Starting with the Spanish American War, Marine officers would have required a device on their tropical star vent campaign hats. I also believe that this device pre-existed in dress version, and that a service version was made circa 1900. This version than gave way to the newer patterns of 1904 and 1914, that take us into a more modern time. This is the first service device of this version that I have ever seen. I have seen three dress officer devices of this version in twenty years of collecting Corps Devices.

S/F,
Mike

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

BEAUTIFUL EMBLEMS! Would have loved a shot at that dress emblem. Anyone on the forum take these home?

BTW...seems to accompany these rather well... http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=40546

#8 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,240
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

The service version should be one of, if not, the very first officer's service hat device. I believe that these are transition pieces from the 1870's style (very stylistic eagles and anchors that were hand produced by jewelers making each piece one-of-a-kind) to the mass-produced styles of the early 1900's. The stubby eagles are distinctly a holdover from the 1870's, as is the large anchor. It is my opinion that the officer's service device shown above, pre-existed the regulations calling for it. The 1892 Regulations and the update 1900 Regulations do not mention it. The 1900 Regs do mention officer service collar devices on the tropical uniform however, and it is likely this is where the requirement for a hat device also came to be. Starting with the Spanish American War, Marine officers would have required a device on their tropical star vent campaign hats. I also believe that this device pre-existed in dress version, and that a service version was made circa 1900. This version than gave way to the newer patterns of 1904 and 1914, that take us into a more modern time. This is the first service device of this version that I have ever seen. I have seen three dress officer devices of this version in twenty years of collecting Corps Devices.

S/F,
Mike

Yeah! and who fund it! :lol:

I'm not done yet... some very good stuff is coming!

#9 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users