• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80,799
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hello everyone! So recently I have been offered an AO (Auto Ordanance) M1 Carbine in WWII configuration that comes with a sling, oiler, blank adapter, 100 blanks, and 7 mags. The price? $500 plus my Mosin Nagant ($100). Now, not being a USGI made Carbine I have some concerns on the overall authenticity and quality of the AO Carbine. I would also like to know if the parts of this rifle will swap with USGI parts, as I will need an adjustable rear sight and bayonet lug barrel band in order to make it correct for my Korean War display as well as reenacting. Thank you in advance!

Attached Images

• 1335197873808.jpg

#2 hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,138
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've heard nothing good about the AO carbines. Quality is not their strong suit. Also, something to consider is that 500 clams plus the ?100 that your Nagant might sell for, equals a decent GI carbine. Probably not a good trade on your part and best to look elsewhere. You'll probably have an easier time finding a GI carbine with the bayonet lug and adjustable sight for your money, then trying to get this one to look like a Korean war carbine.
Tom Bowers

Edited by hbtcoveralls, 24 April 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#3 12thengr

12thengr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,632
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

The barrel band is no problem, but the tool to change the sights runs at least $50 maybe more.

#4 2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I've heard nothing good about the AO carbines. Quality is not their strong suit. Also, something to consider is that 500 clams plus the ?100 that your Nagant might sell for, equals a decent GI carbine. Probably not a good trade on your part and best to look elsewhere. You'll probably have an easier time finding a GI carbine with the bayonet lug and adjustable sight for your money, then trying to get this one to look like a Korean war carbine.
Tom Bowers

Thank you for your input, that is what I am finding on the net but I figured the great members of this forum would be able to help me a bit better. Regarding making it a Korean War Carbine, I have a friend with a bayonet lug for sale and needs the flip sight, so I was considering buying the lug and trading the flip sight for his adjustable sight. But considering the quality and the fact that it isn't an original USGI is making my weary. My problem is that I do not have the funds at the moment (currently only $100 and a Nagant), so I am still searching for someone that is willing to trade at around the same price, but it seems they are hard to find.

#5 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I've written a few novels on here lambasting AutoOrdnance, my experience with their Thompson, and their usually crummy customer service. Heard a few guys have good luck, but I wouldn't pee on their stuff if it caught fire.

#6 2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I've written a few novels on here lambasting AutoOrdnance, my experience with their Thompson, and their usually crummy customer service. Heard a few guys have good luck, but I wouldn't pee on their stuff if it caught fire.

I know were being serious here, but that was a good one haha :thumbsup:

#7 blitzkrieg gsd

blitzkrieg gsd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,550
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just save your money and wait till you find what you want. If you want a Korea era rifle it will be easier and cheaper then a ww2 era carbine. I know trust me its hard to wait and save but you will be glad you did. We are talking about a live fire rifle here rite? Not one that only shots blanks. If you have a few gun shows in your area start going. Even if you dont have the money to buy go look around talk to some dealers get a feel for whats out there. Good luck with your hunt and dont worry you will find you a good one. If you want pm me and i can point you in the rite direction to a few.

#8 Beltfed25

Beltfed25
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 65,114
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have seen a few of their carbines. A constant theme is it seems as if the feed ramp isnt machined properly to allow the bolt to push a round into the chamber. Everyone I have looked at has this problem. Once the issues get worked out, they are good guns.

#9 bargunner

bargunner
  • Members
    • Member ID: 41,803
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I would take a look at this article from the 90thidpg.

http://www.90thidpg....bine/index.html

#10 TLeo

TLeo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,081
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Seriously, for the price he's asking ($600 basically) it's my opinion you would be better off to wait and pick up a usgi carbine. I bought a very nice one with correct stock on it recently for $750 including sling, oiler and bayonet and it's a nice shooter. Save your money and look around at gunshows or online places like gunbroker.com and compare some prices. The prices can be steep depending on how correct the parts are or original configuration but some good deals are out there for what are called mix masters (various gi parts) and you will be happy to have a usgi one from one of the original makers and most will have the late features you want for your display.

Edited by TLeo, 25 April 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#11 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Another vote for getting a USGI carbine. Really fun little rifles and the vast majority run really well. My '43 Inland is very reliable

#12 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Being a reenactor, I've seen the A-O carbine many times. When seen by themselves by someone who doesn't know much about carbines except the basic look, theny look fine, but when put side by side with others carrying original carbines, its obvious its a different weapon. as far as for what he's asking, to me, its not worth it. You can still pick up an original carbine for around $600 or so... you just have to look... and you'd still have your other rifle. In the end, its your decision... if I were going to plunk down $600 bucks, I'd make it for an original carbine, not a knock off.

Wayne

#13 warroom1

warroom1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 103
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

HOW IS THE AO M1A1 PARA MODEL ANY BETTER?

#14 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

HOW IS THE AO M1A1 PARA MODEL ANY BETTER?

Functionally I can't see the para model being any different... The action was the same, only the stock is changed. The current crop of reproduction paratrooper stocks almost always need to be fitted to the action being dropped in them especially off brand carbine knock offs (A-O, Universal, Kahr Arms). I have a five digit 1942 Inland (11 thousand range) and a six digit 1943 Inland (800 thousand range). I don't regret buying either of them, especially since the 43 Inland was an impuls buy (Carbines are addictive!!!). I started out with an early model Universal which I replaced the trigger housing with a wartime saginaw housing and dropped it in a Numrich Gunparts Para stock. I had to grind out the stock innards up by the barrel channel because of the design of the barrel so it would fit. This is what I use to reenact battles with and was nothing to tap the barrel to blank adapt it. When I do displays, my 43 Inland rests in that same stock since it is within the range of known paratroop M1A1's so I can display both a full stocked and a para stocked carbine at the same time. Unless you have binding issues (which you shouldn't... but it DOES happen) just about any carbine should fit in just about any OTHER stock. That's the way these rifles are designed... for complete interchangeability of parts.

I refer back to my statement... The choice is up to you. If you want a wartime carbine, go for an original, you wont regret it. If it is just a plinking rifle, the A-O might do, but I wouldn't toss the Nagant in the deal... $600 is good for a pre owned A-O.

Wayne

Edited by mpguy80/08, 28 April 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#15 2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Being a reenactor, I've seen the A-O carbine many times. When seen by themselves by someone who doesn't know much about carbines except the basic look, theny look fine, but when put side by side with others carrying original carbines, its obvious its a different weapon. as far as for what he's asking, to me, its not worth it. You can still pick up an original carbine for around $600 or so... you just have to look... and you'd still have your other rifle. In the end, its your decision... if I were going to plunk down $600 bucks, I'd make it for an original carbine, not a knock off.

Wayne

Thats what I've come to decide. Thank you all for your inputs, I greatly appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users