USMC Helmet Covers with Diamond EGA patch

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

From 30 year collection of back issues of Leatherneck and Marine Corps gazette magazines, the other day while searching for something unrelated I came across this article and images.

There doesn't seem to be a central thread on this type of helmet cover, so perhaps this can be it. I invite other members to post photos or documents pertaining to this style helmet cover, and photos of them from your collection.

post-1424-1335290744.jpg

post-1424-1335290508.jpg

From the January, 1956 issue of Marine Corps Gazette.

A few weeks ago I just missed a 70s USMC issue ERDL pattern M1 camo cover with an EGA printed on a piece of OD cloth and sewn to the front in the manner of your illustration...on eBayUK. So the practice apparently continued?

shrapneldude

post-1424-1335291250.jpg

post-1424-1335291255.jpg

This is a repro (WWII Impressions) hat in my collection, with what I think is an original Diamond EGA patch applied to it.

A few weeks ago I just missed a 70s USMC issue ERDL pattern M1 camo cover with an EGA printed on a piece of OD cloth and sewn to the front in the manner of your illustration...on eBayUK. So the practice apparently continued?

:lol: i was bidding on that as well & lost it damn shame i really wanted it but didn't want to [ay to much for it :pinch:

shrapneldude

post-1424-1335291396.jpg

From my collection. I've seen some that have only the green side patched, and others that have both sides done this way.

That's about all I have for now, but please, if you have one in your collection, post it here. These are just a cool piece of USMC history.

shrapneldude

Any chance you can get a copy of the listing photos of it for reference?

shrapneldude
i think this is it ?

Interesting photos. I don't think that was regulation, but still neat. Maybe someone has or can find a period photo of a helmet cover with this configuration being worn by Marines. :think:

Thanks for posting that.

Am I missing something here, or wouldn't it have been logistically easier simply to directly stamp the cover with an EGA during the manufacturing process?! :think:

Great info!....talk about the smoking gun!!....heres a few of my diamond sewn EGA covers...they come in all configurations, 1st pattern no slits, 2cnd pattern and even on KW dated covers, it seams they just did this to existing helmet cover stocks.....i love these covers and have only managed to aquire three in 25 years of collecting, although a few years ago about 3-5 of them showed up on ebay!!.....mike :thumbsup:

post-350-1335305885.jpg

shrapneldude

That first mention of the diamond patch was in the Marine Corps Gazette in 1956, and by 1959, the photos in Leatherneck magazine start showing Marines wearing the Mitchell Pattern camo helmet covers, so my guess is this was only done for a few years, and probably not done corps-wide at any time, just those that had reason to do it. As to why they didn't just issue the covers stamped, I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

I love when these little tidbits appear - thanks for posting it.

I will put forth the theory that someone didn't like the fact that the seam on helmet covers disrupted the EGA and that it would look better to have it on a flat piece of fabric.

Well done Patches...you stole my thunder! I was about to ask if they were ever applied to Mitchell covers. You've just answered my question! ;)

shrapneldude

Just curious - have any patch collectors on the forum ever come across these diamond patches "loose" i.e. not sewn to a helmet cover?

usmcaviator
Just curious - have any patch collectors on the forum ever come across these diamond patches "loose" i.e. not sewn to a helmet cover?

I have not come across any "loose" ones, however the EGA iron-stencil is still readily available as surplus, as they were used up until the late 1990's. I still remember ironing mine on at OCS. It wouldn't be tough to find some leftover material and make your own if you wanted one.

S/F,

Mike

Here's one "loose". It measures 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" and the insignia appears on only one side.

DSCN6392.jpg