Is this legitimate?

Bluehawk

Got this in the daily e-mail today - possibly because I have contributed Remembrances to Virtual Wall and Air Force Memorial Foundation websites. Not sure how or whether it is legitimate, but want to put it out here for any insights anyone may have.

Turned out the "photo of [my] loved one" was an image of Capt. Michael Thomas Adams who went down over Laos in 1969 - definitely NOT a personal "loved one."

I have no clue who posted that photo to the Virtual Wall, but it was not me. I did complete a Remembrance for him on AirForceTogetherWeServed.com probably 3 years ago.

Anybody know anything about this?

------------------------

Fritz Johnston

Vice President

Brand Management & Advertising

The Boeing Company

100 N Riverside, MC 5003-0982

Chicago, IL, 60606-1596

Greetings,

The Boeing Company is in the process of producing advertising in recognition of Memorial Day,

2012. This advertising will pay tribute to all who made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our

nation.

Through the support of our various veterans and military partner organizations, we have identified a

photo of your loved one for potential use in this advertising tribute. The photo may be seen on

television, in print and online. We can assure you the photo will be treated with the respect and

dignity it deserves.

If you are comfortable granting us permission for the use of this photo, please respond to

[email protected] with a simple confirmation by April 25. If your photo is selected for use

in this special communication, a donation of $1,000 will be made to an approved charity of your

choice. If you have any questions on the project or need additional information, please feel free to

reach out to Drew Palombi (production supervisor) 310-899-1737.

Thank you,

Fritz Johnston

I don't know whether real or not, but the first red flag is the use of a gmail account. If this was sponsored by Boeing, why wouldn't have a Boeing email address?

I don't know whether real or not, but the first red flag is the use of a gmail account. If this was sponsored by Boeing, why wouldn't have a Boeing email address?

Good point...

I've got a funny feeling about this.

Received the following response late this afternoon:

-------------------

I will check

Todd Blecher

Boeing -- Communications

Office: 312-544-2201

Mobile: 312-543-4311

www.boeing.com

@boeing, @boeingairplanes, @boeingdefense

facebook.com/boeingstore; www.facebook.com/boeingcareers

YouTube.com/boeing

Received a response on Saturday, April 28th in PM:

-------------------

I believe it is legitimate. Mr. Johnston was going to contact you.

Todd Blecher

Boeing - Communications

312-544-2201 (office)

312-543-4311 (mobile)

Twitter: @boeing, @boeingairplanes, @boeingdefense

Its garbage! any legitimate Boeing employee will have "boeing.com" email,,and Boeing would not contact you in this manner

trust me I know!

Its garbage! any legitimate Boeing employee will have "boeing.com" email,,and Boeing would not contact you in this manner

trust me I know!

Something's up then.

This is too dang weird.

The guy who responded is, supposedly, a serving Boeing employee.

Went to Boeing site, Executive Biographies, searched Fritz Johnston.

http://search-www.boeing.com/search?q=Frit...10&btnG.y=8

Can't think of one good reason for me to conduct company business outside of official channels. At least not while I worked for a major company.

I'd use Boeings supplied directories to contact him and confirm this story.

Went to Boeing site, Executive Biographies, searched Fritz Johnston.

http://search-www.boeing.com/search?q=Frit...10&btnG.y=8

Can't think of one good reason for me to conduct company business outside of official channels. At least not while I worked for a major company.

I'd use Boeings supplied directories to contact him and confirm this story.

He phoned me after a couple of requests to Boeing's main information contact guy.

We had a good brief conversation, during which he established his credentials at Boeing, reported that their memorial film is being put together in Los Angeles this week, and that it will include veterans of several wars.

He said he would send a DVD of the final broadcast version.

Alls well that ends well. Did seem like a lot of red flags though in the way you were first contacted.