7 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:40 AM

found this at the Raleigh show for 30 bucks. M20 dress blue collar emblem, missing the roller. The globe has plenty of stipling. There are no markings on the rear, but the retaining pin appears to have been filed down by the original owner. The chest of the eagle is also either filed or very well worn, but only there. Any ideas why this would have been done? This emblem is very similar to the English made one in my collection, with the sharp wings, but the globe is less 'bulbous'

Attached Images

• post-22-1202101860.jpg

Edited by Brig, 16 May 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Tim a great find... got your $'s worth on this one too. It has been said these examples were done by sea-going Marines. They would hand stempled the dress emblems to reflect what seas they had traveled. A wonderful example of an issue emblem that was neatly personalized... don't clean it the verdigris is classic. s/f Darrell

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

I've heard the each dot would represent one country visiting, but this is way too many dots...

I never clean the EGAs. I love the patinas

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

I've heard the each dot would represent one country visiting, but this is way too many dots...

I too have heard that story... but have not seen an example that would lend itself to that description... perhaps Bob & or Gary have an example in their older collections?

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 27 March 2008 - 11:15 AM.
quote delete

#5 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Very nice piece, Brig! Quite exotic. I don't have one like it (or its mate, unfortunately). With this amount of "detail" it must have been worn only on Liberty away from the "authorities". Would never have passed inspection!
Congrats....Semper Fi......Bobgee

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

yes, I, too, wish it had been with its mate. or at least had a roller. Oh well, can't beat the price!

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

nice stipled clipped wing. from the wear of that bird, I'd say its seen some use. Also, having heard that the clipped wing was more common with sea-going Marines, and the story of those on ship stipling, your piece seems to go along and help add some validity to the theory

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users