STOLEN!!! J.W. COVAR SOUTHERN CROSS OF HONOR

Patriot

A Southern Cross of Honor that was named to James W. Covar (14th South Carolina), was STOLEN while in the process of being delivered to my home in Oneida, New York. It was registered as being scanned in at my post office, and was sent out on the mail truck. It seems to have vanished at that point, and no one has any further record of this item.

If you know the whereabouts of the medal, please contact me directly.

post-2801-1334783830.jpg

collectorgirl

What a rotten thing to do! I hope you find out more information on it's whereabouts and who would do such a thing. Keep all of us posted!

Yes, it was insured. I will start the claim process by the end of the week. The PO is pretty sure that it is not likely to be found. It went out on the truck, and when the truck came back the package was neither present, or scanned out of inventory.

He is a new mailman, and one of two things happened. He delivered it somewhere else (it was suppose to be signed for), or he stole it. Considering that no one signed for it, it seems likely that he may have taken it home with him. Mysteriously, he is no longer on my route.

I had the same thing happen 20 years ago, and I decided to get a PO Box, smartest thing I ever did for my collecting - when I go on vacation everything stays in a secure location - never had another item come up missing

Bill

Patriot,

Did you also put an APB out to some of the larger GAR/UCV dealers? It may be worthwhile just to let them know to keep an eye out for it if they are contacted to make a purchase. I'll keep my eyes peeled at Mansfield in a few weeks.

Best of luck in the search and sorry to hear about this.

- Ron

Yes, it was insured. I will start the claim process by the end of the week. The PO is pretty sure that it is not likely to be found. It went out on the truck, and when the truck came back the package was neither present, or scanned out of inventory.

He is a new mailman, and one of two things happened. He delivered it somewhere else (it was suppose to be signed for), or he stole it. Considering that no one signed for it, it seems likely that he may have taken it home with him. Mysteriously, he is no longer on my route.

I'm sorry to learn about this.

:think:

What do you think tipped the fellow off to lift the package? (if that's what happened)

SCF-Collector

When exactly did it disappear from the truck? I'm curious as to when it might have entered the market if it was stolen.

I'll definitely keep an eye-out for it in Mansfield in a couple of weeks - just in case.

Thank you everyone for the advice, support, and willingness to keep your eyes open for this medal. The good thing is that it is named, so if it does appear publicly, it will be easy to identify. For this I am hopeful that at some point it will surface somewhere. I will be scouring the places around here.

The folks at the PO said that it could possibly have been thrown away once someone opened it. Throwing it away upsets me more than the theft itself (and I consider it a theft even if it was delivered to the wrong address - the recipient knew it did not belong to him).

This is an expensive, historical medal honoring a Confederate soldier - I will claim insurance, but I could care less about the money. I want the medal.

When exactly did it disappear from the truck? I'm curious as to when it might have entered the market if it was stolen.

I'll definitely keep an eye-out for it in Mansfield in a couple of weeks - just in case.

It was placed in the mail truck for delivery on April 9 (how ironic?). Of course, I didn't suspect anything until around the 15th when I started to think something was wrong.

• 7 months later...

Might still be in the truck. I once had a package not show up for months and months, when I had a PO box...one day it was magically in there. Seems it fell behind a bin somewhere or something and they found it during reorganization

Stolen? Sound like our great government mail service who loses billions per year lost your item! Hopefully, it will finally show up. I feel your pain!

You may want to check it's travel path and see where it want and on what day. Many parcels are destroyed while getting stuck in hurricanes, tornados, ect....

I always send important stuff next day. The quicker it has to arrive, the less hands it goes through!

Patriot,

Have you checked with your neighbors? I had a package go missing for over a year. One day, while talking to a neighbor who lived across the street, I mentioned the missing package (KW uniform). They ran inside their house and brought the unopened box out. The mailman delivered it to them by mistake and they just stuck it in their hall closet. I guess they figured they would run into me at some point.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions! The medal has been missing since springtime, and I am still fighting with the post office as to its whereabouts. While trying to file a claim, they like to drag there feet and play every game in the book. Somehow, I think that if I owed THEM the money, they would demand it in short order.

I've also switched to UPS for any sizable transaction. I recently received a M1816 musket via UPS, and the tracking and service was far superior to anything that the US postal service can offer.

Tommymonkey192

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions! The medal has been missing since springtime, and I am still fighting with the post office as to its whereabouts. While trying to file a claim, they like to drag there feet and play every game in the book. Somehow, I think that if I owed THEM the money, they would demand it in short order.

You're not far off the mark. I can't think of a better illustration of the Bottom Line than a side-by-side comparison of the Post Office and the IRS. The latter often operates with a ruthless efficiency worthy of the Gestapo while the former is the very epitome of slothfulness. Hard to believe they're both part of the same government. It also reminds me of something I once read about Eisenhower. As President dealing with civilian bureaucrats came as a big shock to someone who in his military career was used to orders being carried out with question. He discovered that the civilian side of government was a whole new ballgame.

I recall the last US Postal Service insurance claim that I had several years ago. They fought it every step of the way saying they had no idea where it went after being tracked to NYC where it disappeared. After almost a year I mysteriously got a check in the mail in December. I guess they were finally clearing off their yearly books and decided to pay the insurance claim.

United Parcel Service is just as bad. Prior to the experience above I filed a claim for a lost package and they fought it as well. Interestingly, someone overruled the claims adjuster and sent me a check about three months after the package went missing. When the adjuster showed up on my doorstep again saying he was going to deny the claim, I told him that he was too late and they had already paid off. He did not even know what his organization was up to so they are both rather clueless IMHO.

A few years ago I had a package of medals disappear on the way to a friend of mine. I had it insured and he paid with PAYPAL. All I had to do was show the USPS the PAYPAL receipt, and fill out a form, and I got my $$ back in just 4 weeks. I guess we all have different experiences.

Kurt