Gettysburg Monument Dedication Ribbon - 150th NY

SCF-Collector

SCF-Collector

As part of my interest in the Gettysburg reunions (1888, 1913, 1938) I also collect monument dedication medals and ribbons from Gettysburg. I just picked up a piece I (nor anyone else I've shown it to) have ever seen before. The condition is truly mint-in-box and it comes with an amazing added bonus.

This ribbon has never been out of the box - let alone worm. The condition is amazing - and the colors are absolutely electric. These pictures just do not do it justice.

post-1293-1334782041.jpg post-1293-1334782082.jpg

Here's a picture of the monument on the battlefield at Gettysburg.

post-1293-1334782100.jpg

Here are a couple of links with information on the regiment - and their monument at Gettysburg:

150th NY Monument - Gettysburg

150th New York Infantry - Dutchess Regiment

In my opinion the rarity of this ribbon is matched only by its condition. I've never owned a ribbon that was cleaner and brighter - like the day it was made.

I mentioned this piece came with an added bonus - please see next post for the provenance of this ribbon!

SCF-Collector

Part II:

This ribbon came in its original box (tissue papers and all). The box has had a rough life - but it has done its job very well and the contents have been well protected.

The box is addressed to the recipient:

post-1293-1334782775.jpg

I had a bit of a problem deciphering the handwriting - but after staring at it long enough I figured it out. The recipient is Joseph F. Barnard - Supreme Court Justice, State of New York, 2nd Department (served 1862-1893 - forced to retire due to age).

It wasn't a Veteran's name - which is what I expected - but it was a great ID!

Inside the box was a small envelope. In that envelope was a small circular from the organizing committee for the monument. That was cool enough, but when I turned it over - I found:

[post-1293-1334783741.jpg

It didn't take me long to figure out that A.B. Smith was Alfred Baker Smith - a Major in the Regiment at Gettysburg - and later Colonel of the Regiment. Oh, and also a member of the organizing committee for the monument dedication.

post-1293-1334783683.jpg

I can't believe my luck in adding this piece to my collection. A rare Gettysburg Monument dedication ribbon - presented to a New York Supreme Court Justice (the presiding Judge at the time of this dedication BTW), and presented by the Colonel of the Regiment with his personal invite.

I hope you enjoy looking at this as much as I do every time I walk in and see it sitting on the shelf.

An outstanding ribbon and accouterments. Also, a great job of detective work to decipher names and connections. It just does not get better than this!

Thanks for sharing.

I am going to have to agree with SARGE. The condition is better than anything I've ever seen before. And, the historic connections are unbelievable. This was a great addition to your collection!

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin

A beautiful ribbon, for sure. Nowadays, if you attend a conference or meeting, you get a cheap little card with your name on it, enclosed in a clear plastic holder, to pin on your coat. I like the old elaborate ribbons and even the "medal" type badges. Those were the days...

Pete