• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DakotaDave

DakotaDave
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,914
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Lest we forget.... 70 years ago today the Doolittle Raid.
I salute Lt Col Doolittle and the 79 men with him who set out on this mission which had such incredible historical ramifications.
Sorry, no medals to show just my absolute respect for what they did.

DakotaDave

#2 tarbridge

tarbridge

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Lest we forget.... 70 years ago today the Doolittle Raid.
I salute Lt Col Doolittle and the 79 men with him who set out on this mission which had such incredible historical ramifications.
Sorry, no medals to show just my absolute respect for what they did.

DakotaDave

Here!Here!.Robert

#3 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

You'll have no argument from me! :thumbsup:

#4 cutiger83

cutiger83

Curating Assistant

• Curating Assistant
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

A few years ago, I went to a Raider's reunion. This is a picture of their goblets they toast with at each reunion.

Too many of them are now turned upside down. :salute:

I believe I read that this year's reunion will be the last one where they have the toast. :think:

goblets.JPG

#5 Tom Nier

Tom Nier
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,834
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have record of two numbered DFC's awarded to Doolittle Raiders. DFC #932 was described in an article in the December 1989 issue of Journal OMSA. DFC #2176 engraved "Tokyo Raid 1942" is in a private collection. I understand that most of the Doolittle Raid DFCs were numbered in the 2xxx range. Also, that most if not all of these DFCs were awarded after the surviving raiders had been returned to the US.

#6 Wharfmaster

Wharfmaster
  • Members
    • Member ID: 525
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

The most gutsy move of WW2. We remember a most successful joint operation of airmen and sailors alike.
When in doubt, Attack! Attack! Attack!

Doolittle was both a visionary and cool performer. As they say, Doolittle did a lot!

Regards to all,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

#7 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 36,387 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

:salute:

Edited by Sabrejet, 18 April 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#8 GoldenCross

GoldenCross
  • Members
    • Member ID: 47,309
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Cheers to Lt. Col. Doolittle and his Raiders!

#9 JDK

JDK

Curating Assistant

• Curating Assistant
    • Member ID: 2,901
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have record of two numbered DFC's awarded to Doolittle Raiders. DFC #932 was described in an article in the December 1989 issue of Journal OMSA. DFC #2176 engraved "Tokyo Raid 1942" is in a private collection. I understand that most of the Doolittle Raid DFCs were numbered in the 2xxx range. Also, that most if not all of these DFCs were awarded after the surviving raiders had been returned to the US.

Interesting! Thanks for the post!
JD

#10 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

The group containing DFC "2180" is in my collection. My other Doolittle Raider group (Richard Knobloch, co-pilot of #13) also has a numbered DFC, but I haven't been able to put my hands on it recently to record the number properly.

#11 DakotaDave

DakotaDave
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

News articles that I located online indicate that Gen Hap Arnold along with Gen Doolittle personally awarded the DFC to 23 of the Raiders on 27June1942 at Bolling Field, Washington D.C., 3 Raiders at Walter Reed Army Hospital received theirs there. Raiders serving overseas received theirs through local Commands and the surviving Raiders taken POW would receive theirs after their liberation. George Barr (POW) the last Raider to return to the U.S. received his personally from Gen Doolittle on 15Dec1945 in Miami at the first Raider Reunion.

DakotaDave

Edited by DakotaDave, 18 April 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#12 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

"Hank" Potter (Doolittle's Navigator) was my Father In Laws CO at Patrick AFB in 1953 - He signed my Father In Law's leave orders when his daughter (my wife) was born at Patrick.

According to my Father In Law, he was a great guy and a good CO - always looked out for his men.

Bill

#13 Third Herd

Third Herd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 25,045
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

When I was going to technical school at Keesler AFB the raider Convention was in Biloxi, MS. The base had a parade in their honor and Doolittle was on the reviewing stand, the only WWII leader ever saw.

#14 1944Ike

1944Ike
  • Members
    • Member ID: 16,508
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

:blink: I have DFC #2875 Hmmmmmmmmm

#15 carbinephalen

carbinephalen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,217
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I was proud to see CBS news air a very nice broadcast about it tonight. Here is the link, I highly recommend watching it.

http://www.cbsnews.c...f-world-war-ii/

I hope that there continues to be 5 of them for many years to come! :thumbsup:

#16 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

I was proud to see CBS news air a very nice broadcast about it tonight. Here is the link, I highly recommend watching it.

http://www.cbsnews.c...f-world-war-ii/
I hope that there continues to be 5 of them for many years to come! :thumbsup:

An outstanding heroic action that gave the USA a much needed uplift in the war's early days. For some period films, I highly recommend watching "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" and "The Purple Heart" .

Excellent CBS news report!!! Bobgee

#17 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Laban_Crew_8.jpg

This is one of the DFC certificates to a Doolittle Raider. He was the engineer/gunner on Crew #8, piloted by Capt. E.J. York. He is in the center of the crew photo. This B-25 flew to Russia and was the only one to survive the mission. Crew & aircraft were interned . Crew eventually escaped and returned to active service. Fate of the B-25 is unknown. Now that would be a great recovery!

Doolittle_Raider_DFC_Certificate.jpg

Edited by bobgee, 19 April 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#18 JDK

JDK

Curating Assistant

• Curating Assistant
    • Member ID: 2,901
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the link to the CBS story! They really did a great job on that piece.

Bob, thanks for the shot of the DFC certificate.

JD

#19 DakotaDave

DakotaDave
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

This thread certainly brought out some interesting information about which I was not aware..... let me take a minute and share something of interest I ran across a few months back. I purchased on ebay an old newspaper archive photo of Gen Doolittle presenting George Barr his DFC, I was able to identify that this presentation was done at the first reunion of the Raiders on 14-16Dec 1945 at the McFadadden Deauville Hotel in Miami, Fl. When I got the photo in hand I realizied that The DFC that Doolittle had just presented Barr and pinned on his uniform jacket had the planchet turned around with the reverse side facing outward, I wondered why this was and proceeded to use 10x and 20x magnifiers to see if I could make out any engraving on the back. I could tell something was there but it took me a couple of hours looking and thinking about it to realize that what I was seeing wasn't engraved but written....... it was Doolittle's signature!!! I Googled images of Doolittles signature resized it to match and bingo. Doolittle's signature usually was done with a good degree of flourish and often on a slant which matched exactly what I was seeing.
So somewhere out there is one heck of a collectors dream come true..... a DFC to a Doolittle Raider and Doolittles signature as well. Also, I found out that George Barr also received his Purple Heart from Doolittle as well at a Raiders reunion in, I believe, the early 60's. Most interesting.

DakotaDave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)