Navy Binoculars

thorin6

I picked up these binoculars at a local flea market this past weekend. I’ve tried to date them, and I believe the model designation is Mark 6 Mod 0 (or 1 through 5?). I think they may be early 1920s, but the Bureau of Navigation/US Naval Gun Factory began operating in 1917 (according to Wikipedia) so they may be WWI. I would appreciate any help in determining their vintage and use.

NavyBinoA.jpg

NavyBinoB.jpg

NavyBinoC.jpg

Well, the US Naval Gun Factory Annex in Rochester was originally Crown Optical (Rochester NY became a mecca for optical companies in the late 1800's thru the 1900's...Crown Optical, Bausch and Lomb, Eastman Kodak, and at least several others).

Crown Optical was contracted to produce field glasses for the military circa 1915-1916. They did not produce them quickly enough to satisfy their contracts or the government, so the government took over the plant and renamed it the US Naval Gun Factory Optical Annex. I believe they shut them down by 1919 or 1920, so I would guess your binocs date from the 1917 to 1919 time period.

I know they made the standard 6x30 Type EE Field Glasses both in Army (US Signal Corps marked) and Navy (BuNav marked) flavors. I have seen a few of these 10x45's too. They were general shipboard binocs used almost anywhere by the Navy. The bodies are the same as the 6x30's, with the bigger objective bells and extra lenses to boost them to 10x. There was also a Type E, which were identical in design, just slightly bigger in size...I have only seen a Type E made by Talbot Reel in KC, MO....I am pretty sure the USNGF did nor produce any Type E's.

A very nice set of binocs...if you ever decide to sell them, let me know!

Well, the US Naval Gun Factory Annex in Rochester was originally Crown Optical (Rochester NY became a mecca for optical companies in the late 1800's thru the 1900's...Crown Optical, Bausch and Lomb, Eastman Kodak, and at least several others).

Crown Optical was contracted to produce field glasses for the military circa 1915-1916. They did not produce them quickly enough to satisfy their contracts or the government, so the government took over the plant and renamed it the US Naval Gun Factory Optical Annex. I believe they shut them down by 1919 or 1920, so I would guess your binocs date from the 1917 to 1919 time period.

I know they made the standard 6x30 Type EE Field Glasses both in Army (US Signal Corps marked) and Navy (BuNav marked) flavors. I have seen a few of these 10x45's too. They were general shipboard binocs used almost anywhere by the Navy. The bodies are the same as the 6x30's, with the bigger objective bells and extra lenses to boost them to 10x. There was also a Type E, which were identical in design, just slightly bigger in size...I have only seen a Type E made by Talbot Reel in KC, MO....I am pretty sure the USNGF did nor produce any Type E's.

A very nice set of binocs...if you ever decide to sell them, let me know!

Thanks for the info, it fits with what I already found out.

Not looking to sell, but was $25 a good price?

Sgt. Boghots
Not looking to sell, but was $25 a good price?

Very nice Binoculars !.

I've got a couple pair in my collection. They were well made, and I just plain like the markings.

Look at it this way; they only cost you about half the price of a new pair of Levi's, which would either be rags or wouldn't fit in two years :lol:

You did just fine, in my book :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul