Tigerstripe Jump wing

River Patrol

River Patrol

I've noticed a dearth of original Vietnam patches produced on camo material. Please show any that you may have. Here is a U.S. Jump wing recently added to my collection.

Is it tigerstripe or another camo?

A59.jpg

Insignia like this is often seen on what I believe is called ERDL and it had two patterns, green dominant and brown dominant. It was also woven as "rip stop" to deter snags from ripping the garment wide open. Green dominant had two colors of green, one of them being almost lime in shade. Brown dominant had a darker green and two browns in it. It also was "rip stop". Seeing these materials were available after 1968 they show up in tailor made custom garments. Flight suits is a prime example. Insignia such as what you show is most likely made out of trim pieces or excess cut away the tailor had after making a custom suit or shirt, maybe even pants. Tiger patterns don't show up as often, perhaps because fewer custom garments were ordered out this material. It may speak to stricter control over the fabric since the tiger patterns were more often favored by unconventional forces. Don't want to let the bad guys have access to the same stuff for fear of dress a like counter forces or infiltrators.

In the area that I am most interested in having this material on the face of the patch would garble it up, better to have a plain color base. But as a backing, I have a number of both regular green and cammo green patches. Again, probably excess material the maker had available in scrap bins. I have a few black on rip stop green, subdued if you will. Most of the insignia I have viewed are like yours, a branch, rank or specialty badge because they could be made on very small scraps. There may be a reason the backing varies, such as matching the garment it is to be attached to.

I'm sure tiger pattern probably got used, but not nearly as much as it just doesn't show up much.

Strictly my opinion here, the one you are showing looks to me like green dominant ERDL.

IH

Here 's scan of a ERDL green dominant pair of pants. I'll look around and see if I have some tiger stripes and put them up too.

IH

post-12336-1334510907.jpg

In looking, I found these. The upper larger piece uses green dominant material while the smaller lower one uses brown dominant material.

IH

post-12336-1334511882.jpg

Here is something I consider to exhibit a tiger pattern. I don't know tiger patterns at all, but I do know different types exist. This item appeared recently in an online auction and is something I consider as meant to deceive. Since we are talking about backing types it isn't necessary to get into why I think it's bogus.

IH

post-12336-1334526554.jpg

River Patrol

this last patch you show is what I was thinking about...I was second bidder on this last patch, not because I thought it was original, but because it was on tiger material.

Here are a couple of Captain ranks and Signal branch collar insignia on what I belive is ERDL. I am not sure if the embroidery is Vietnamese though.

post-2744-1334798772.jpg

post-2744-1334798789.jpg

I am not sure if this is legitimate or not. The material is very thin and almost like a nylon type material and not like cotton or twill. I am not sure what the pattern is other than some type of duck hunter. This is the first time I have ever posted it or shown it to anyone.

post-2744-1334799045.jpg

post-2744-1334799065.jpg

I am not sure if this is legitimate or not. The material is very thin and almost like a nylon type material and not like cotton or twill. I am not sure what the pattern is other than some type of duck hunter. This is the first time I have ever posted it or shown it to anyone.

I'm wondering if that is parachute material.

As far as your question, it all depends on what you mean by legitimate. Anytime you see a scroll that says "Vietnam" the patch is most likely a souvenir item.

As far as when or where it was made... no idea. But I am guessing it was made for a soldier who served in Vietnam either during or immediately after the war.

Here are a couple of Captain ranks and Signal branch collar insignia on what I belive is ERDL. I am not sure if the embroidery is Vietnamese though.

Hard to tell if that is ERDL or if it is Woodland pattern BDU hot weather material (ripstop). Embroidery might be Korean, which often used hand guided sewing machines for embroidery.

I agree that insignia on Tiger Stipe material is not often found. I have a Mike Force name tag on tiger material but I have to find the picture.

I am enclosing a set of ARVN airborne wings on tiger material (left row). I am also attaching a set of navy or seal wings (Top row with light blue background). These are among over 40 sets of airborne wings on different types of background cloth.

post-468-1334808357.jpg

I agree that insignia on Tiger Stipe material is not often found. I have a Mike Force name tag on tiger material but I have to find the picture.

I am enclosing a set of ARVN airborne wings on tiger material (left row). I am also attaching a set of navy or seal wings (Top row with light blue background). These are among over 40 sets of airborne wings on different types of background cloth.

post-468-1334808711.jpg

Here is a SOG wing on Tigerstripe we picked up many moons ago. They came as a set from Larry Stone, if I remember right. They are hand embroidered and definitely have more detail than the pictures show I think. The back of the wing's cloth has been sewn totally down through the edges, so I can't open up the back enough to get a good picture.

Dennis,

Is this the same type MF patch you referred to? also, I would like to see the backs of your ARVN wings on the brown tiger material, if you get a chance.

post-2063-1334853187.jpg

ARVN ERDL on cotton .......same colorway as the poplin ....as your wing ,

sorry for the crap pictures my camera is pathetic.

I hope this helps a wee bit .

owen

River Patrol

So 3 or 4 wings, a tape but no real patches on tigerstripe. I know I've seen Security Force patches on ARVN ERDL, full large patches.....but still no original patches on Tigerstripe.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

vintageproductions

Steve-I don't remember ever seeing real VN made patches on tiger material. Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one, that I can remember.

I agree, lots of wings, and I have had a few Mike Force strips on tiger, but not much else.

River Patrol
Steve-I don't remember ever seeing real VN made patches on tiger material. Not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one, that I can remember.

I agree, lots of wings, and I have had a few Mike Force strips on tiger, but not much else.

Bob,

Thanks. That's the information I'm looking for.

The thread kinda morphed into...Are there any Vietnam patches made on Tigerstripe material? So no real patches, but yes on tapes and jump wings and maybe other qualification insignia, but no pocket patches.

Kool. I kinda like that.

Maybe in the future if someone finds one, they can post it here.

Steve