Photo

BB&B Paratrooper Wing on eBay Probable Copy?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 brian e

brian e
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,718
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

Hi I'm new here and just wanted to add my opinion i also have a bb&b jump wing and it is identical to tonomachi's and allan h's the other one looks very spurious to me but that is just my opinion brian

#77 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

Eventually, that wing that started this whole thread sold for over 1000$. To bad.

Patrick

#78 Sparky

Sparky

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 145
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

Eventually, that wing that started this whole thread sold for over 1000$. To bad.

Patrick

Yeah, Too bad http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

It did not make the reserve either Patrick.

It seems that there were several different types of BB&B wings with diiferent maker marks in different places, shown in this thread and everyone thinks their's is real.

#79 currahee506

currahee506
  • Members
    • Member ID: 395
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have been informed the wing in question is a restrike. I have been told this by a gentlemen who has collected for over 45 years. His opinion is gold with me.

Edited by currahee506, 04 July 2010 - 09:28 AM.

#80 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

I have been informed the wing in question is a restrike. I have been told this by a gentlemen who has collected for over 45 years. His opinion is gold with me.

I heard that some of the wings that were re-struck with dates on the back are being ground down by someone to pass them off as WWII issue ? Is that accurate?

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 04 July 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#81 camopara

camopara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 82
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Kurt,
I would not doubt it. There are certain things to look for on BBB wings which you can see on the legitimate wings on this thread.
The wings that started this thread are garbage (restrike), I guess his little old lady story was BS. I was offered them when the 'find' was made and passed.

#82 currahee506

currahee506
  • Members
    • Member ID: 395
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

I heard that some of the wings that were re-struck with dates on the back are being ground down by someone to pass them off as WWII issue ? Is that accurate?

Kurt

Kurt, in this instance, this is what I have been told. Frickin scary. I know next to nothing about wings. I didn't know the difference.

#83 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

This was a very fun thread, back when it first showed up on the forum. Interestingly enough, a couple of the main contributors to this thread have been subsequently banned from the forum. On the other hand, some very good insight was offered early on in this thread by Allan H and Tonomachi, and they were clearly vindicated in the end.

Overall, I think we have some of the finest airborne collectors around in this forum and any new collectors who are thinking about collecting in this area would be well advised to listen carefully when these smart fellow talk. I know I do!

I was very lucky and found a BB&B jump wing at a local flea market, and was never really aware how sought out these wings are until much later (and from discussions on these forums). At the price that these wings seem to be bringing (frequently in the 1000$ raqnge :w00t: ), people ought to be 100% sure about what they are looking for, as the return on fakery is simply to high for people not to try.

It would be my expectation that at some time, all the tricks will be tried, from grinding off marks on the restrikes, to adding fake hallmarks to non-BB&B wings.

P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users