Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Is this the same monument?

Hi Pieter, yes it's the monument on Utah beach, spookily enough here's a very similar shot I received yesterday from Jeep-Freak friend Len which he took in 1975.

Almost a Then & Now comparison with yours and Len's images.

The steps were built over and above an underground bunker used as a base underneath the monument, your image shows the opposite side to the one I posted in post #16231.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 08 2020

.post-344-0-54332600-1586420922_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Was this near the monument?

Hi Pieter, yes it's on the seaward side of the monument, here is another image of the same weapons pit as it stood in June 1944. Note the damage to the left side of the entrance, and the same damage can be seen repaired in your image in post #16250.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 09 2020

.post-344-0-39567100-1586423362_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Militaria it's everywhere if you look . . . . . . .

This is a very short video of a dog being teased about what meat there is in the fridge, note the green painted US Army trunk with leather handles on the floor behind the dog being used as a coffee table .... . . . . . . . Enjoy :lol:

Militaria it's everywhere if you look . . . . . . .

This is a very short video of a dog being teased about what meat there is in the fridge, note the green painted US Army trunk with leather handles on the floor behind the dog being used as a coffee table .... . . . . . . . Enjoy :lol:

Oh that is a great piece of militaria! Never thought an old army trunk could be so funny!

Mikie

General Apathy

Here is a photo from what I think is the Cherbourg area.

Hi Pieter, whoa that's a beauty, as and when we ever get out of this lock-down here then I will be looking for this place, that would have made a great snooker room after the war and have friends around . . . . . . . .

French President Macron is making a speech on Monday evening and everyone believes that the already stringent rules will be made even tougher . . . . . . . . or even longer

.post-344-0-16329000-1586462575_thumb.jpeg

Hi everyone, from the archives: a Then and Now shot from (the liberation of) Maastricht. The Now shot shows the Jeep of Col. Johnson, 117th IR, 30th ID.

post-169612-0-83571300-1586462825.jpg

post-169612-0-39470900-1586462839_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi everyone, from the archives: a Then and Now shot from (the liberation of) Maastricht. The Now shot shows the Jeep of Col. Johnson, 117th IR, 30th ID.

attachicon.gifCol. Johnson 117th IR.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_7503a (2).jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, more great shots, I like them although I have to add they really hit me spookily this evening, you have captured the exact same street and the exact same spot, but there's nothing there visible to show that that Jeep and the men in and around it ever existed, very spooky, people walk past unaware as we all would.

manayunkman

All the photos I have been posting were taken by one GI who was in Normandy after VE Day and before he shipped home in 46.

post-51189-0-53528700-1586468053_thumb.jpeg

Glidertrooper

Hi John, it seems your son is enjoying himself. A nice little museum indeed. It looks like the Jeep hasn't moved much in 5 years ^_^

attachicon.gifSAM_0526a.jpg

They have also a booth where you can get professionally yelled at.

attachicon.gifSAM_0506a.jpg

Rene

That booth is still there Rene, although I didn't partake, as I never enjoyed the experience the first time round 30 years ago and in those days they even paid me for the privilege!!

Hi Owen, Many of the clothing pieces I sent to auction I only managed to capture the interesting sections of each garment, a lot of the time just the patches or insignia portions. Here's an example of what I managed to capture two photos of an RAF Air-Sea-Rescue grouping, I only captured the two jackets from the grouping. The one with the service cap is a four pocket jacket with an embroidered patch, the other photo is a short Battle-Dress jacket with a printed patch, Quite a rare surviving grouping. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 07 2020

.{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 21.11.28.jpeg

.{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 21.11.11.jpeg

m

Very nice Ken !

New one for me

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Apathy

Happy Easter everyone... !

Hi Johan, never seen this photo of John before, I do however remember the incident, happy easter.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 12 2020

.post-344-0-38682700-1586721548_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, never seen this photo of John before, I do however remember the incident, happy easter.

Hi Ken,

Photo of John with the egg was taken at the 1998 W&P edition at the Hop Farm at Beltring...

The group was there as a Signal Photographer's Unit with the GPW shown below...

post-92-0-35183600-1586767986_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Tudor just posted this photo of the entire team on Facebook...
You most likely recognise all of them, Ken!

Beltring War&Peace 1998

post-92-0-40600800-1586777189_thumb.jpg