Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

i just noticed that old stone bench behind the jeep. Very interesting.

Normandy Then . . . . . . . . .
Hi Mikie, yes it's a lovely old granite stone bench possibly around 300 years old, I have to wonder how many days, weeks, months it would have taken to chisel that out without power tools. It's a nice spot to sit at the end of a day with either a gin or a coffee and reflect on the days passing.
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 03 2020.
. Well there was going to be a photo in this space, I tried late last night, I thought I will wait till in the morning maybe less people posting, just tried twice will not load even though well below 250k. . . . . . . . . . .
Back to gardening . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Normandy Then . . . . . . . . .
Hi Mikie, yes it's a lovely old granite stone bench possibly around 300 years old, I have to wonder how many days, weeks, months it would have taken to chisel that out without power tools. It's a nice spot to sit at the end of a day with either a gin or a coffee and reflect on the days passing.
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 03 2020.
. Missing photo
.post-344-0-14152900-1586075717.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Now . . . . . . . . .

Hi Mikie, yes it's a lovely old granite stone bench possibly around 300 years old, and here's the Now which is what passes for current garden seating . . . . . . . . . the stone seat is immortal but if we believe what we are told these plastic chairs will last a thousand years . . . . . . . . .
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 05 2020.
.post-344-0-00615700-1586076129_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Isolation report . . . . . . . . .

Well first off apologies to everyone as we are into our into 24th day of travel ban and isolation at home then I am unable to go get out there to find any Then & Now shots. so making full use of my days at home I am fulfilling loads of necessary gardening chores, it's nice to see the place pulling back into shape especially with all the trees and flowers coming into bud again.

I have been laying stone patio, pruning tree branches to get more light into the garden, tiding the garages, car-port and bbq shack. Yesterday I screwed some batons onto the car-port joists and got six more folding chairs off the floor space.

And the good news of all this is, I have lost over four pounds of weight in two weeks :o , also it's great mentally getting the load off my mind about all those jobs that had needed doing . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

.post-344-0-82911300-1586076895_thumb.jpeg

Normandy Isolation report . . . . . . . . .

Well first off apologies to everyone as we are into our into 24th day of travel ban and isolation at home then I am unable to go get out there to find any Then & Now shots. so making full use of my days at home I am fulfilling loads of necessary gardening chores, it's nice to see the place pulling back into shape especially with all the trees and flowers coming into bud again.

I have been laying stone patio, pruning tree branches to get more light into the garden, tiding the garages, car-port and bbq shack. Yesterday I screwed some batons onto the car-port joists and got six more folding chairs off the floor space.

And the good news of all this is, I have lost over four pounds of weight in two weeks :o , also it's great mentally getting the load off my mind about all those jobs that had needed doing . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4ad9.jpeg

Here's one I made earlier………..my remedy against weight loss :D

post-169612-0-03261400-1586083139_thumb.jpg

Rene

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it..............

Another bridge Then and Now from Venlo. Again, the Now shot was made before the crisis.

What can be seen is a class 70 (in fact a doubled up class 40) Bailey pontoon bridge that was finished on march 3, 1945 and saw service until somewhere in april 1945.

post-169612-0-39101800-1586084463_thumb.jpg

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it..............

Another bridge Then and Now from Venlo. Again, the Now shot was made before the crisis.

What can be seen is a class 70 (in fact a doubled up class 40) Bailey pontoon bridge that was finished on march 3, 1945 and saw service until somewhere in april 1945.

attachicon.gifClass 70.jpg

Now

post-169612-0-89421300-1586084568_thumb.jpg

Rene

Normandy Now . . . . . . . . .

Hi Mikie, yes it's a lovely old granite stone bench possibly around 300 years old, and here's the Now which is what passes for current garden seating . . . . . . . . . the stone seat is immortal but if we believe what we are told these plastic chairs will last a thousand years . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gif IMG_4701.jpeg

Cut some weird inscriptions on them and confuse the heck out of some future archeologists a thousand years from now.

I like the bench. It has real rustic character. Looks like you have a bunch of interesting doodads around the place. Sorry if I'm being a pest, but what is that 1877 dated structure behind the bench?

It's chilly, gloomy and wet here today so stuck inside. Glad to have the forum to keep me amused.

Mikie

General Apathy

Here's one I made earlier………..my remedy against weight loss :D

attachicon.gifSAM_8771.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, possibly we have all played word association games, so I have to say the first shot of your cake I though ' Parachute ' hahhaaaaaa. looks good and hopefully you make it last over a few days . . . . pleased to say this evening I now weigh six-pounds less in the last two weeks, being active cuts back the desire to eat.

General Apathy

I am always on the look out for interesting things to contribute to this thread, particularly as I am partly based in 'airborne country' over here in Berkshire, England, where many of the US Troop Carrier airfields were positioned and most of the US Airborne units were billeted. Unfortunately I don't get around these places as much as I would like and I am also having difficulty finding the 'Then' pictures to go with any 'Now' I could take.

Anyway, I thought the many jeep lovers and contributors from the Netherlands here might be interested by this. Before the lockdown came in, to pass an afternoon I took my son down the road to the military museum in Aldershot garrison town. A neat little museum, particularly if you are interested in the army town's history. All the armour outside could do with a lick of paint though and of course 'Elfs and Safety' mean you are denied the fun of climbing all over these heavy metal machines --> https://www.hampshireculture.org.uk/aldershot-military-museum

Getting to the point, hidden in the back barn I found what is claimed to have been the post-WWII jeep of XXX Corps GoC Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks of Operation Market Garden fame. I am always a little dubious of such claims, but here it is with my boy at the wheel:

attachicon.gifresized_IMG_2454.JPG

Cheers......John

Hi John, pleased to have you here again, the museum is certainly something new to me, and maybe several other people, looks like Rene has already been there. When I was a child I remember General Horrocks had a series of documentaries on television about the war and he mentioned some of his experiences.

General Apathy

I like the bench. It has real rustic character. Looks like you have a bunch of interesting doodads around the place. Sorry if I'm being a pest, but what is that 1877 dated structure behind the bench?

It's chilly, gloomy and wet here today so stuck inside. Glad to have the forum to keep me amused.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes I have a few pieces of ' doodads ' around the place that I brought over from the UK with me. The piece that you are asking about over behind the granite seat is the stonework from a church door bombed out during WWII, the original top key stone is missing from above the right and left stones, I sat that piece in there to bridge the gap for the time being, the date is 1871. I'll see if I can post a couple more pieces when I have time.

Today's garden work was building a wooden arch from one side of the garden to the other for training a Wisteria vine across that's growing over to the side of the left post. Before I finished this evening I managed to tie a few lengths of vine up the left-side post and across the top showing them which direction to head in.

.post-344-0-80830800-1586122989_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, Today's garden work was building a wooden arch from one side of the garden to the other for training a Wisteria vine across that's growing over to the side of the left post. Before I finished this evening I managed to tie a few lengths of vine up the left-side post and across the top showing them which direction to head in. There are two separate horizontal beams with a gap between them allowing the Wisteria plenty of space and two beams to wrap around.

.post-344-0-27665900-1586123380_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, Today's garden work was building a wooden arch from one side of the garden to the other for training a Wisteria vine across that's growing over to the side of the left post. Before I finished this evening I managed to tie a few lengths of vine up the left-side post and across the top showing them which direction to head in. There are two separate horizontal beams with a gap between them allowing the Wisteria plenty of space and two beams to wrap around.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4b21.jpeg

More re-cycling . . . . . . . . . . . .

When I am working out in the garden I use a saved metal lid off a glass jar to prevent flies and insects doing the back-stroke in my coffee, it also is quite a good insulator and prevents the coffee going cold too quickly. The other item is a recycled plastic tub for keeping my plant string tidy with a drilled hole in the cap to pull the string through. B)

.post-344-0-83212600-1586123896.jpeg

General Apathy

Back onto a military theme . . . . . . . . . . . well in a small way.

In a need to tidy things up around the place I screwed some batons to the underside of joists in the car-port and stored six folding chairs up there off the floor. I also took the opportunity to screw this Jeep grill to a beam something else not needing to be moved around several times whilst tidying . . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-15008700-1586124375_thumb.jpeg

Great bit of work accomplished there! It's been raining all day here so can't do any of the chores I need to do outside. It's ok. We need the rain. It's been too dry again this winter. Our main source of water is the snow pack up in the Sierra Mountains. They were only at 58% of the total for this time of year. Guess there is always next weekend. Clever idea about the string. I'll have to remember that.

Mikie

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_4b21.jpeg

Sent

Nice work. It should be beautiful when the vine covers it. I first learned about wisteria from the Sherlock Holmes Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. There is a vine around the neighborhood somewhere. Just need to remember where and ill get a photo of it.

Mikie

Mikie.

Hi Mikie, yes I have a few pieces of ' doodads ' around the place that I brought over from the UK with me. The piece that you are asking about over behind the granite seat is the stonework from a church door bombed out during WWII, the original top key stone is missing from above the right and left stones, I sat that piece in there to bridge the gap for the time being, the date is 1871. I'll see if I can post a couple more pieces when I have time.

Today's garden work was building a wooden arch from one side of the garden to the other for training a Wisteria vine across that's growing over to the side of the left post. Before I finished this evening I managed to tie a few lengths of vine up the left-side post and across the top showing them which direction to head in.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4b20.jpeg

Where's Wally......….eh..The Jeep......

Nice garden, Ken

Rene

The Meatcan

Ken, that's a nice amount of work outside you've accomplished lately! Make sure you share some photos with us when that wisteria is blooming!

Terry

Thought I'd try making a homemade face mask. Something didn't come out quite right with it but I just can't see what the problem is. Maybe you can tell?

post-2687-0-81492300-1586192761_thumb.jpg

It may not be obvious, but I am not good with handicrafts.

Mikie