Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Coronavirus story . . . . . . of how the proverbial hit the fan. . . . . . . . . :lol:

The virus hit the UK before it reached America, hearing that there would be an Isolation lock-down people rushed to the supermarkets to grab food and supplies. Buyers would see what other people had in their carts and noticed toilet rolls, huh-huh we better grab some of those, in fact we'll take an extra few packs. Next couple, see that, see how many packs of toilet rolls they have, we better grab a few of those, take a few extra in case they run out.

Everyone hits the checkouts the computer sees all these packs of toilet rolls heading out the door, automatically orders replacements from the warehouse depot. A whole truck of toilet rolls arrives at the supermarket, but no food, customers make a dash for the toilet rolls as they ran out a few days ago, the check-out computer reads the dash on toilet rolls and automatically orders more, again little or no food, here's the rub it's ordering toilet rolls in preference to anything else, the food shelves are now empty but the panic on the toilet rolls had sold out quicker than the food shelves, so get some more toilet rolls in. :lol:

I do believe that the supermarkets have now had to over-ride the computer ordering system and get a balanced delivery of goods.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 27 2020.

Good example why it is important to engage the brain from time to time and not solely rely on computers.....

No strings attached (give or take a few)..........

We probably have all seen pictures of allied parachutes made into wedding dresses or some other useful garment. While leafing through some war time Stars and Stripes editions I dicovered that German parachutes came in handy too. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.......

post-169612-0-74162400-1585485523.jpg post-169612-0-72749400-1585485554.jpg

Rene

Hi Kat, thanks it was amazing what I managed to cram into that shoebox over the years, real pity that it takes so long to build a collection and there comes a time when you need to part it all out again, didn't want to leave a heavy responsibility on my daughters shoulders one day . . . . . . . . :huh:

Anyway she will have other shoebox's in storage with other stuff packed in them to deal with. . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 25 2020.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_495c.jpeg

Hi Ken, these bring back memories...….unfortunately mine didn't survive the rigours of playing.

For quite a while I was a big Formula 1 fan, going to races etc. and also collecting the odd F1 model (= car, not the ones you'll see on the start grid in front of the cars, unfortunately ^_^ ). So your post got me rummaging through my own 'shoe box' and I found a few classic ones. These are fairly recently made models (from the nineties) but quite collectible I believe.

post-169612-0-78738700-1585507558.jpg post-169612-0-80830100-1585507583.jpg post-169612-0-08155300-1585507597.jpg

post-169612-0-02227400-1585507687.jpg

Rene

manayunkman

Rene,

I loved Michael Schumacher.

And in 1973 Jacky Ickx drove me around the Monte Carlo race track several days after the race with people in the street.

What an exhilarating ride!!

His horn got quite the workout.

General Apathy

We probably have all seen pictures of allied parachutes made into wedding dresses or some other useful garment. While leafing through some war time Stars and Stripes editions I dicovered that German parachutes came in handy too. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.......

attachicon.gifSAM_8509 (2)a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_7078.JPG

Rene

Hi Rene, back in 2013 on UK television during an episode of the Antiques Roadshow a lady came on and presented to the interviewer a section of German parachute her mother rescued during WWII. The story was that a German bomber on the way to bomb the car plant at Longbridge south of Birmingham was shot down and crash landed in the fields outside a small village in Worcestershire. A number of the women of the village raced out to the aircraft to find one surviver of the crew of four abandoning his parachute and running away from the aircraft. The women took the packed parachute and returned to the village where they cut the silk chute into sections and shared with all the women of the village to make dresses or underwear. The section the lady's mother Irene Gill had turned out to be the section with all the manufacturer and inspection marks which she cut off into a scarf and made underwear with the rest.

Irene Gill died about two years previous to the program and willed the section of scarf to her daughter who brought it along to the show.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 28 2020.

.post-344-0-17127500-1585518104_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Thruxton Airfield / Thruxton Race Circuit . . . . . . .

Hi Rene, your mention of enjoying F1 racing reminded me of a friend who back in the early 1980's ran Thruxton Race Circuit in the UK. During WWII it started life as an RAF station, later it became a USAAF airfield for the 366th Fighter Group, prior to D-Day numerous gliders started off from there for the Normandy invasion.

A shot of Thunderbolts taking off at Thruxton showing the 366th Fighter Group USAAF, apparently at the end of WWII all surviving gliders were flown into Thruxton and burnt. ???, if only we had known or thought about it back then we should have done some metal detecting while Woff was in charge . . . . . . . . . . . . still we had some great times, shows and parties there.

Another shoebox . . . . . . . . When Woff died in 2008 he left me in his will just under two hundred monochrome images of racing cars from the mid 30's to the mid 60's, many of them taken at the Brooklands race circuit. During WWII the Vickers and Hawker aircraft companies operated from Brooklands, over two and a half thousand Wellington bombers were built there.

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explore/our-history/aviation-industry

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 30 2020.

.post-344-0-07409100-1585520989.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_8509 (2)a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_7078.JPG

Rene

I've been burning my few brain cells trying to come up with a bad pun that combines German parachutes and bathing beauties, but I've got nothing. At least not fit to print here.

So thought I'd share a little I found out about the photos. Not much on the first young lady, but the second, Frances Vorne, was a certified Yank magazine, and popular Allied pinup girl.

https://www.wwiidogtags.com/pinups/frances-vorne/

It seems Miss Vorne also made quite an impression on the British. You need to scroll down about 3/4 of the way on this one to see another shot of her in that parachute swimsuit.

http://www.cbi-theater.com/roundup/roundup041945.html

75 years after the war, she is still doing her part to boost morale!

Mikie

A few days ago, I posted some bad pictures about a military truck I saw while out driving. I asked if anyone could tell what kind f truck it was. And was amazed that several folks were able to ID it from the poor pictures I was able to grab as it wizzed by me. Here they are again if you want to give it a try.

attachicon.gifTruck.jpg

attachicon.gifTruck (2).jpg

Mikie

Mikie, Here is photo of my dad next to a weapons carrier, probably taken in Brittany in the fall of 1944.

post-203-0-63816700-1585593063.jpg

Thruxton Airfield / Thruxton Race Circuit . . . . . . .

Hi Rene, your mention of enjoying F1 racing reminded me of a friend who back in the early 1980's ran Thruxton Race Circuit in the UK. During WWII it started life as an RAF station, later it became a USAAF airfield for the 366th Fighter Group, prior to D-Day numerous gliders started off from there for the Normandy invasion.

A shot of Thunderbolts taking off at Thruxton showing the 366th Fighter Group USAAF, apparently at the end of WWII all surviving gliders were flown into Thruxton and burnt. ???, if only we had known or thought about it back then we should have done some metal detecting while Woff was in charge . . . . . . . . . . . . still we had some great times, shows and parties there.

Another shoebox . . . . . . . . When Woff died in 2008 he left me in his will just under two hundred monochrome images of racing cars from the mid 30's to the mid 60's, many of them taken at the Brooklands race circuit. During WWII the Vickers and Hawker aircraft companies operated from Brooklands, over two and a half thousand Wellington bombers were built there.

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explore/our-history/aviation-industry

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 30 2020.

.attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

No fair! Those P-47's will beat the race cars easily.

Reminds me of a Top Gear episode?

Mikie

Hi Kat, thanks it was amazing what I managed to cram into that shoebox over the years, real pity that it takes so long to build a collection and there comes a time when you need to part it all out again, didn't want to leave a heavy responsibility on my daughters shoulders one day . . . . . . . . :huh:

Anyway she will have other shoebox's in storage with other stuff packed in them to deal with. . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 25 2020.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_495c.jpeg

Those are great!

Growing up in the 1960's, we had Hot Wheel cars here in the States. All of mine are long gone. Many suffered horrific deaths and destruction. One of my past jobs was in the toy industry and one of our engineers once did design work on the original Hot Wheels at Mattel.

Mikie

Posted Image

Here’s a chore style coat made from many different pieces of Cammo parachute cloth

At the end of war cloth was at a premium and utility-work clothing was really used daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manayunkman

Awesome vest you got there Owen.

At the end of the war in Holland new clothes were rare.

But German uniforms were abandoned and plentiful.

My father took SS post uniforms and dyed them navy blue.

My nephew still has the box of SS insignia that were removed from these jackets.

General Apathy

'

New USAAF monument to American air and ground crews . . . . . . . . . .

One of my longtime friends John Cashmore has been busy raising funds and planning permission for a monument at the USAAF airfield at Lavenham, shown below is an email and photograph from John regarding the monument at Lavenham

Hi Ken, One aspect of which I have been spending the last few years involved in is raising money for the creation of a memorial to the 487th BG of the USAAF on Lavenham airfield. We were due to unveil it in the presence of 487th BG families and the USAF as part of the 75th commemorations of VE-Day in May 2020 but of course all that is 'corona'd' now. Work on the memorial has now ceased for the duration of the virus but we are quite close to completion. I've attached a photo so you can see how far we've got! All the best to you and Lauren.....John and Sue.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 31 2020.

. post-344-0-06916800-1585606382_thumb.jpeg