Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, it's been quiet indeed. Thanks for your concerns. I'm still well. I've only been weathering out the third storm in succession over here. I've got some things lined up to post here. In about a week all will be revealed. So here's one from the archives, so to speak…..

A shot of the Waal bridge at Nijmegen Then and Now. In the Then shot it looks like a US soldier is using a 'liberated' a bicycle.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the bridge shots, I have been able to drive several of my vehicles over that bridge in the past during visits to Holland.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2020

General Apathy

Sad to hear this. If you ever need any moral support, let me know.

My wonderful wife Annie had surprise serious medical issue 2 weeks ago. But things are on the mend with her.

Word of advice to everyone. Be sure to check with your doctor if something seems a little off with how you feel. Even if it doesn't seem serious to you at the time. Annie waited a couple of months since it didn't seem too serious, but it turned out to be serious after all. My dear cousin had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I'm a natural worry wart. Sometimes it turns out with good reason. Take care everyone!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for offering support even though your wife has her own issues, much appreciated, I hope she is making a full recovery.

General Apathy

Sent

Hmmm...Wild guess, late war emergency low budget assembly technique? Those used in Normandy would have been from earlier in the war?

Hi Mikie, yes Piet and myself were thinking along similar lines, a cheaper late war design.

General Apathy

Ken,

So sorry to hear about your siblings. You and your family are in my prayers.

...Kat

Hi Kat, many thanks for your thoughts, and take care of yourself as well . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Ken,

I wonder if the difference is just different manufacturers. Interesting though. Is it too rusted to see any hallmarks?

...Kat

Hi Kat, I don't think any of the stakes were ever maker marked or dated, dates would have been nice to find.

General Apathy

Normandy ' shrapnel ' recovered . . . . . . . . .

Called in to see a French friend yesterday and photographed this large lump sat outside his garage, it's a US bomb however its difficult to be definite on the weight rating of this example.

.post-344-0-76834200-1582642186.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy collection . . . . . . . . .

Called in to see a French friend last week and photographed some of his collection it's 99% based on items his family recovered after the war and what he has gathered together since.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 29 2020

.post-344-0-59469300-1582984858_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Wow! That stuff is all real? The photo looks to me like a scale model diarama.

Mikie

Called in to see a French friend last week and photographed some of his collection it's 99% based on items his family recovered after the war and what he has gathered together since.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 01 2020

.post-344-0-31040200-1583061913_thumb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 29 2020

.attachicon.gifIMG_4585.JPG

Hi Ken, the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this picture is this

post-169612-0-99257800-1583070335.jpg

Anyway, nice 'gathering'

Rene

Hi everyone, today (the first of March) markes the 75th anniversary of the liberation of my home town Venlo. Taks force Byrne (320th IR , 35th ID and the 784 Tank battallion crossed the German Border into the Netherlands (how ironic) and at around 16:00 hours local time entered the outskirts Venlo. This is what it must have looked like back then.

post-169612-0-72502000-1583070674_thumb.jpg

Rene

This is the same spot today.

post-169612-0-36971500-1583070934_thumb.jpg

The red arrow in the picture will be explained by the next Then shot. It markes the spot where this Sherman M36 B1 tank destroyer is located. It is quite a rare beast since about 187examples were build. It is equipped with a 90mm gun. If you look carefully you can see the same person pictured in the first Then shot (the one holding something under his arm) standing in front of the tank. And if you look past the gun barrel you can see a couple of GI's running towards the houses. The tank crew looks in the same direction.

post-169612-0-31493500-1583071643_thumb.jpg

This tank probably belonged to the 654th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Co. C (as this Battalion was part of the 320th combat team)

Rene

And my last post for today: the book (first, second and third edition) that got me, at a very young age, hooked on the (local) history of WW2.

post-169612-0-52239800-1583073843_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi everyone, today (the first of March) markes the 75th anniversary of the liberation of my home town Venlo. Taks force Byrne (320th IR , 35th ID and the 784 Tank battallion crossed the German Border into the Netherlands (how ironic) and at around 16:00 hours local time entered the outskirts Venlo. This is what it must have looked like back then.

attachicon.gif Kaldenkerkerweg 45.jpg

Rene

Best wishes to you and Venlo on the anniversary of the liberation. May your freedom never be threatened again.

Wonderful Then and Nows.

Mikie

Normandy ' shrapnel ' recovered . . . . . . . . .

Called in to see a French friend yesterday and photographed this large lump sat outside his garage, it's a US bomb however its difficult to be definite on the weight rating of this example.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_43fb.jpeg

Wow. Big bomb go BOOM!!!

attachicon.gif Kaldenkerkerweg 45 a.jpg

This tank probably belonged to the 654th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Co. C (as this Battalion was part of the 320th combat team)

Rene

Remarkable chance that they happened to pose next to a rare Sherman variant and preserved the image of it for history.

attachicon.gif Kaldenkerkerweg 45.jpg

Rene

Are there any commemorative events planned to mark the day? How aware are the average folks of the event? Thank you for keeping the memory slice here.

Mikie

Called in to see a French friend last week and photographed some of his collection it's 99% based on items his family

Ken,

This is fascinating! Is this in a museum or your friend's house?

P.S. I hope your siblings are doing better. They are still in my prayers.

...Kat