Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

The Canadian 4th Armoured Division fought heavily in our region in September 1944.

wonder if that Jeep made it over here...

Hi Johan, you better start checking out all the barns in your area, it could well be your next barn find this Christmas . . . . . . . . . . :love:

On the link below there is a very short informational video on Trafficators and how they operate.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2019.

General Apathy

Ha!! I've been miserable with bad allergy problems for a couple of weeks now. But it is true! Laughter is the best medicine! You just filled my prescription very nicely!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, hope your recovering well, and I hope the following story rings a bell for you.

A few weeks back Jane and myself were out for lunch with a friend and his wife, to protect the innocent I'll call them Janet & John. During the meal we were talking about a UK policeman that had been attacked by a machete wielding terrorist, although slashed several times and knocked to the ground the quick thinking policeman pulled out his Taser gun and Tasered the terrorist subduing him.

I am very pleased to say that the police officer has made a full recovery and returned to duty. . . . . . . ^_^

We all agreed that the policeman was extremely quick thinking and lucky to have survived, my friend John wishing to make fun of his wife Janet said that if his wife were to be attacked she wouldn't have required a Taser all she would have had to do was scream at the guy, I quickly added that ' due to human rights issues then there was a medically recognised health & safety recorded recovery time if tasered ' . . . . . . . . . . . . we all laughed at his blushing wife Janet. :blush:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2019.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

Well it's been a week or two since I added any Then & Now images, so here's one I shot today . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 13 2019.

.post-344-0-86926800-1570928483_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-33309200-1570928512.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Then and Where . . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday a friend sent me the wartime image below asking if I knew where it was, I did and it's down to the blanked out window in the centre of the photograph . . . . . . . . . . . as easy as that. . . . :lol:

The second photo shows the same blanked out window which identifies the two images as Coutances. . ;)

( my apologies for the image sizing I have no idea why I struggle to post nice sized images, both of these I have had to reduce drastically, the forum states it will accept 251KB, the first image was 168KB and it refused five times to accept the image at 168KB. I see other posts and they somehow manage to add eight or ten large images way exceeding the 251KB limit ). :dry:

.post-344-0-56050300-1570930087.jpeg

.post-344-0-75616800-1570930190_thumb.jpeg

Since june 6th this year up untill now there have been several celebrations due to the 75th liberation anniversaries being commemorated (and there are more to come). For my hometown Venlo today, october 13th, marks are different kind of commemoration. From october 13th 1944 up to november 19th 1944 Allied air forces executed 13 bomb raids on the Venlo city bridges across the Maas river. The reason for these attacks was the German bridgehead on the west bank of the Maas river (aptly named Venlo bridgehead although it was bigger than its name suggests). The Allies, expanding the Market Garden corridor, attempted to clear this west bank before starting the drive into Germany.

Below is a picture from october 13th. In total 41 A20 Havocs from 409 Bomb Group, 9th USAAF took part in this first attack. Because it was the first attack on the bridges it came more or less unexpected to the citizens. 59 people lost their lives that day.

post-169612-0-10198500-1570974817_thumb.jpg

Today, at the foot of the bridges, there is a small monument (in my opinion the city councel could have done a more proper job of it but it is what it is)

post-169612-0-86808000-1570974833_thumb.jpg

It reads:

During the second World War Allied air forces executed 13 intensive bombardments on the city bridges of Venlo. The citizens paid a high price. About 285 people lost their lives and 177 were wounded.

Rene

This picture shows just a part of the destruction. It is the so called Arsenaal building (or what is left of it).

post-169612-0-93423000-1570975643_thumb.jpg

This picture show the same spot today

post-169612-0-98445100-1570975722_thumb.jpg

The cross that is visible in the last Now shot is made of two wooden beams that were once part of the Arsenaal building and it serves as a monument to the people who lost their lives.

post-169612-0-27875600-1570975887_thumb.jpg

Rene

Johan Willaert

Normandy Then and Where . . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday a friend sent me the wartime image below asking if I knew where it was, I did and it's down to the blanked out window in the centre of the photograph . . . . . . . . . . . as easy as that. . . . :lol:

The second photo shows the same blanked out window which identifies the two images as Coutances. . ;)

( my apologies for the image sizing I have no idea why I struggle to post nice sized images, both of these I have had to reduce drastically, the forum states it will accept 251KB, the first image was 168KB and it refused five times to accept the image at 168KB. I see other posts and they somehow manage to add eight or ten large images way exceeding the 251KB limit ). :dry:

.attachicon.gif72630713_2712717212093469_3900062731218190336_o.jpeg

.attachicon.gif12186470_1682548821991107_1085954016993526315_o.jpeg

most likely the same street and explosion as seen on this color footage shot by George Stevens’ SPECOU group... see around 11:10 in this clip

Since june 6th this year up untill now there have been several celebrations due to the 75th liberation anniversaries being commemorated (and there are more to come). For my hometown Venlo today, october 13th, marks are different kind of commemoration. From october 13th 1944 up to november 19th 1944 Allied air forces executed 13 bomb raids on the Venlo city bridges across the Maas river. The reason for these attacks was the German bridgehead on the west bank of the Maas river (aptly named Venlo bridgehead although it was bigger than its name suggests). The Allies, expanding the Market Garden corridor, attempted to clear this west bank before starting the drive into Germany.

Below is a picture from october 13th. In total 41 A20 Havocs from 409 Bomb Group, 9th USAAF took part in this first attack. Because it was the first attack on the bridges it came more or less unexpected to the citizens. 59 people lost their lives that day.

attachicon.gifbombardement bruggen 13 oct.jpg

Today, at the foot of the bridges, there is a small monument (in my opinion the city councel could have done a more proper job of it but it is what it is)

attachicon.gifSAM_6944.jpg

It reads:

During the second World War Allied air forces executed 13 intensive bombardments on the city bridges of Venlo. The citizens paid a high price. About 285 people lost their lives and 177 were wounded.

Rene

Rene, that monument does look a bit small to commemorate the great sacrifice and suffering of the civilians in the area. But your visual monument here has done a much better job of reminding us all of the terrible cost of war. And of the ability to heal from it. Thanks for keeping the memory alive.

Mikie

General Apathy

most likely the same street and explosion as seen on this color footage shot by George Stevens’ SPECOU group... see around 11:10 in this clip

Hi Johan, yes it's certainly the same street as seen in post #15354, here's another shot of the crossroads further down the road at the junction. Due to further possibility of mines on the left fork where the tank was mined, then the column of tanks and vehicles are approaching the town from the road on the right. The photo has been edited for publication to ensure use of the portion of the photograph and the vehicles on the right-hand fork. The back line down the centre and the scribbled out tank done to prevent publication of the left hand side of this particular photo, the tank is clearly seen in the image posted on page #15354

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2019.

.post-344-0-74992300-1571173923_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

attachicon.gifbombardement bruggen 13 oct.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_6944.jpg

It reads:

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the ' Then & Now ' images, most difficult for you as most of the buildings where built post war in a different style to the pre-war buildings.

Thanks also for reminding us of the sad civilian loss of life during all this fighting.

General Apathy

Vehicles . . . . . . . . . . .

I get frequent emails from an old friend and a one time member of this forum Ian ( Sabrejet ) he regularly sends me photographs of WWII US vehicles to identify for him. A few days back he sent me an image to identify for him it was an open cab Chevrolet M6 bomb hoist used mainly by the USAAF. It did however remind me of the Chevrolet closed cab articulated tractor unit that I had back in the late 1980's. Sadly I seem to have mislaid any photographs I had of it so this is an official image posted here.

I always thought that the US Army had some great looking vehicles during WWII.

.post-344-0-84597000-1571175807_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Funny stories, wonderful Then and Nows, and a mini course in WWII jeep identification. This place is much better than a visit to the doctor.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for the compliments for our thread, you mention Jeep identification, a UK friend just sent me this image of a book he received today from the states, I don't have any other details I can add about it, but thought a few members or readers of the thread might be interested.

p.s. I just googled Warbaby, it's 399 pages weighs 6 pounds, there's four listed today on Amazon, lowest price 68 dollars and 174 dollars high end.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 16 2019.

.post-344-0-76139900-1571226850_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Johan, yes it's certainly the same street as seen in post #15354, here's another shot of the crossroads further down the road at the junction. Due to further possibility of mines on the left fork where the tank was mined, then the column of tanks and vehicles are approaching the town from the road on the right. The photo has been edited for publication to ensure use of the portion of the photograph and the vehicles on the right-hand fork. The back line down the centre and the scribbled out tank done to prevent publication of the left hand side of this particular photo, the tank is clearly seen in the image posted on page #15354

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2944.jpeg

I just spent a few minutes tidying up the photograph in post #15363, not really much more that I can do with it. I did forget to mention that along the street on the far right of the photograph appears to be a German sentry box at the side of the road with painted chevrons. Wonder if any of the householders grabbed hold of that when the action past them by ??? . . . . . ^_^

.post-344-0-82169800-1571231843_thumb.jpeg

Vehicles . . . . . . . . . . .

I get frequent emails from an old friend and a one time member of this forum Ian ( Sabrejet ) he regularly sends me photographs of WWII US vehicles to identify for him. A few days back he sent me an image to identify for him it was an open cab Chevrolet M6 bomb hoist used mainly by the USAAF. It did however remind me of the Chevrolet closed cab articulated tractor unit that I had back in the late 1980's. Sadly I seem to have mislaid any photographs I had of it so this is an official image posted here.

I always thought that the US Army had some great looking vehicles during WWII.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_294d.jpeg

Ken, please send Ian my regards! I miss his posts and puns!

General Apathy

Ken, please send Ian my regards! I miss his posts and puns!

Hi Erick, I sure will, it's sad that he no longer joins in with the fun here, it was a great loss when he moved onto pastures new after a disagreement on the forum.

Attached is a photograph I received from Ian and Sian from the hotel they stayed at that year for his birthday, I repurposed it and returned it as an on-line Birthday card.

About five years back Ian mentioned in an email to me that they would be in London for his birthday that year. I emailed Sian to find out their plans and I arranged to nip over and stay with another friend of ours and we both surprised him by turning up and joining them for their evening meal.

.post-344-0-52572200-1571245429_thumb.jpg

I never got to interact much with Ian, but often came across his posts here and elsewhere on the forum while playing catch up. Seems like a great guy.

Mikie

General Apathy

Sabrejet Greetings . . . . . . . .

Hello Erick, Owen, Mikie, Robert I took screen-grabs of each of your posts and forwarded them to Ian he is very humbled and grateful that you all remember him from his days on the forum.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2019.

.post-344-0-73936200-1571309456.jpg

General Apathy

Being eaten by the monster . . . . . . .

This photo was taken during the 1984 Normandy fortieth anniversary trip, I can't recall what needed doing but it was only something minor I believe, I had removed the horn to reach what I was looking at, this was my long wheelbase GMC 353, 6 x 6 truck.

That was quite a journey with only eight miles to the gallon. Hahaaa

.post-344-0-66381800-1571322760_thumb.jpg

Sabrejet Greetings . . . . . . . .

Hello Erick, Owen, Mikie, Robert I took screen-grabs of each of your posts and forwarded them to Ian he is very humbled and grateful that you all remember him from his days on the forum.

.attachicon.gifpost-8022-0-68378800-1451835925.jpg

Hi Ken, I sadly joined too late to have been able to interact with Ian. I've read several of his posts and comments with great pleasure and I'd like to think that we would have gotten along just fine.

Rene