Norman D. Landing

bilko1

And one more item that is tangentially connected to The Netherlands during the war. But from the opposite side of the world. It's a Japanese occupation note used in the former Dutch East Indies.

post-2687-0-70590200-1568996663_thumb.jpg

Mikie

And for something not quite completely different, I spotted these at the store last night, and just had to buy them!

post-2687-0-03280200-1568996814_thumb.jpg

They are actually pretty good! Or should I say pretty goud?

Mikie

General Apathy

This is a scrap book I was given along with a map by a veteran I personally knew.He was a Battalion Surgeon with the 508th PIR and was a veteran of Normandy,Holland,Battle of the Bulge and served til wars end.He also was a doctor on the 508th Football Team for a period post war in Germany.

I don't recall who assembled the scrap book for him or if he done it himself at some point when having access to the new papers.The papers are all British publications.

My Dads birthday is the 17th of September and I always think of both him and the veterans on that day.

attachicon.gif2019_0919RAIDERUSMC0002.JPG

attachicon.gif2019_0919RAIDERUSMC0003.JPG

attachicon.gif2019_0919RAIDERUSMC0006.JPG

Hi Ron, thank you very much for sharing this wonderful grouping with us, to have a collection of original maps, newspapers and details is a great gift the veteran gave you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 20 2019.

Hi everyone, just in from Nijmegen where today the Waal crossing by the 504th PIR was re-enacted and commemorated. The re-enactement was beutifully done by the Pontoon Group 40-45. Here's a short impression of the event. Will be continued.

post-169612-0-21760500-1569008949.jpg

post-169612-0-60332600-1569008966_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-28533200-1569008980.jpg

Rene

It's been a long while since I read "A Bridge Too Far". But I'm suddenly getting a hankering reread it now. Wish I had thought of it last week! Thank you, Rene! This is great stuff!

Mikie

It's been a long while since I read "A Bridge Too Far". But I'm suddenly getting a hankering reread it now. Wish I had thought of it last week! Thank you, Rene! This is great stuff!

Mikie

Thanks, Mikie and thank you for adding some wonderful items (especially the Triscuit, :D )

Rene

Some other shots from yesterday`s event and commemoration. It is always difficult the choose a spot from where to view everything and yesterday was no exception. On the other side of the river at the Waal crossing monument an official commemoration took place after the re-enacted crossing and battle. To get there you had to do the crossing yourself via the bridge shown in the first picture.

The re-enactors themselves marched off to take part in the commemoration.

post-169612-0-12194400-1569050522_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-60896400-1569050563_thumb.jpg

Rene

A picture of the official commemoration attended by several WW2 veterans (taken from the bridge). Speeches were held by a member of the 82 Airborne Division, US ambassador Hoekstra and the mayor of Nijmegen.

post-169612-0-02329300-1569051524_thumb.jpg

While standing on the bridge several military vehicles (an AEC Matador :) amongst others ) past by.

Almost for the whole year now there have been maintenance works going on on the Waal river road bridge. Therefore it isn't possible to have an re-enactment of XXX corps crossing the bridge which is a bit of a shame I think. However, I do see the need for bridge maintenance.

post-169612-0-41991800-1569051767_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi everyone, just in from Nijmegen where today the Waal crossing by the 504th PIR was re-enacted and commemorated. The re-enactement was beutifully done by the Pontoon Group 40-45. Here's a short impression of the event. Will be continued.

.post-344-0-50610100-1569098084.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, the Sgt in this shot you made is ' Shady ' Saunders from the UK, back around 2000 he used to run the 2nd Armoured in Europe group.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 21 2019.

General Apathy

Hey, I remembered I had something to contribute here! I bought these bits of parachute rigging almost 15 years ago from a gentleman in The Netherlands who dug them up. They were recovered in the 505th PIR drop zone "N" near Groesbeek.

attachicon.gifParachute Market Garden.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, nice camo chute pieces, saying that you just remembered you had something to contribute made me think the same, in the shoebox and not here at home to make a photo of is a British made drop canister found in the woods around Arnhem thirty years ago by a Dutch friend. It's similar to the ones seen in this official military photograph, sadly having laid in the woods for many years there is some corrosion to the side laying on the soil.

.post-344-0-79949000-1569098748_thumb.jpeg

Hi Rene, the Sgt in this shot you made is ' Shady ' Saunders from the UK, back around 2000 he used to run the 2nd Armoured in Europe group.

Hi Ken, aha, that explains why orders were given in perfect (American)English.

Rene

Hi everyone, from now on I will be winding down my contributions a bit. This doesn't mean there won't be any Then and Now shots forthcoming :). So here's another one that shows airborne troops at the south end of the Waal bridge guarding wounded German prisoners.

post-169612-0-64229400-1569156932_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-00956700-1569156951_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi everyone, from now on I will be winding down my contributions a bit. This doesn't mean there won't be any Then and Now shots forthcoming :). So here's another one that shows airborne troops at the south end of the Waal bridge guarding wounded German prisoners.

attachicon.gifWaal bridge south.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6474 (3).jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, a big thanks from myself and many others who have read your posts with real interest, and filling in the blanks for those of us unable to make that trip this year.

Few step up to the plate, but you have done so this year for the 75th anniversary of this Dutch liberation, many thanks ;)

While we celebrate this anniversary please lets remember and say thanks to the real veterans that fought for this Liberation and towards ending the war. . . . . . . . . . . :excl:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 22 2019.

Hi Rene, a big thanks from myself and many others who have read your posts with real interest, and filling in the blanks for those of us unable to make that trip this year.

Few step up to the plate, but you have done so this year for the 75th anniversary of this Dutch liberation, many thanks ;)

While we celebrate this anniversary please lets remember and say thanks to the real veterans that fought for this Liberation and towards ending the war. . . . . . . . . . . :excl:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 22 2019.

Hi Ken, many thanks for your kind words. There was so much going on around here with regards to the 75th liberation anniversary it was quite difficult to chose what to report and still keep a daytime job going ^_^.

To put things in perspective I've added a map that shows (very crudely in black lines) the parts of The Netherlands that were more or less liberated at this point in time 75 years ago. I deliberately say more or less because the Market Garden corridor was under constant threat of the Germans. Nijmegen became a front line city for quite some time. Cities like Roermond and Venlo had to wait until march 1945 before they were liberated.

post-169612-0-65950000-1569246929_thumb.jpg

Map by Globe-trotter - Eigen werk based on University of Texas Library - Perry Castañeda Map Collection (public domain); ATB-kaart.png (public domain) by LennartBolks for rails; and SnelwegenNederland 2008.png (CC-BY-SA-3.0) by T Houdijk for roads., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24071901

I wholehaertedly agree with your remark about the veterans to who we owe so much. It should never be forgotten.

Rene

Hi Ken, many thanks for your kind words. There was so much going on around here with regards to the 75th liberation anniversary it was quite difficult to chose what to report and still keep a daytime job going ^_^.

To put things in perspective I've added a map that shows (very crudely in black lines) the parts of The Netherlands that were more or less liberated at this point in time 75 years ago. I deliberately say more or less because the Market Garden corridor was under constant threat of the Germans. Nijmegen became a front line city for quite some time. Cities like Roermond and Venlo had to wait until march 1945 before they were liberated.

attachicon.gif1280px-Southern-netherlands-map_LIa.jpg

Map by Globe-trotter - Eigen werk based on University of Texas Library - Perry Castañeda Map Collection (public domain); ATB-kaart.png (public domain) by LennartBolks for rails; and SnelwegenNederland 2008.png (CC-BY-SA-3.0) by T Houdijk for roads., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24071901

I wholehaertedly agree with your remark about the veterans to who we owe so much. It should never be forgotten.

Rene

I forgot to add that a part of Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (in Zeeland) was also liberated around this time 75 years ago by ( for the most part) Polish forces.

Rene

Would just like to echo Ken's comments, both to thank Rene for his posts, which helped with my families Operation Market Garden visit to the Netherlands this year and also the remembrance of the veterans.

In that respect I cannot recommend this tribute enough (hope it is not unreasonable to post given it isn't actually US veterans) - https://arnhemboys.com - which was present as installation at the Hotel Hartenstein.

I had the great pleasure of a chatting briefly with Canadian C-47 pilot Lloyd Bentley during the 70th Commemorations in 2014 and this 75th Commemoration I was honoured to have a chance encounter with Tad Cisek of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, who happened to be staying in the same hotel. I even met Glider Pilot Frank Ashleigh, although back in the UK the day after my wedding back in June this year. All wonderful gentleman and this is such a fine and fitting tribute to all these old boys - May we never forget them.

Cheers......John

Would just like to echo Ken's comments, both to thank Rene for his posts, which helped with my families Operation Market Garden visit to the Netherlands this year and also the remembrance of the veterans.

In that respect I cannot recommend this tribute enough (hope it is not unreasonable to post given it isn't actually US veterans) - https://arnhemboys.com - which was present as installation at the Hotel Hartenstein.

I had the great pleasure of a chatting briefly with Canadian C-47 pilot Lloyd Bentley during the 70th Commemorations in 2014 and this 75th Commemoration I was honoured to have a chance encounter with Tad Cisek of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, who happened to be staying in the same hotel. I even met Glider Pilot Frank Ashleigh, although back in the UK the day after my wedding back in June this year. All wonderful gentleman and this is such a fine and fitting tribute to all these old boys - May we never forget them.

Cheers......John

Thanks John, I'm glad I could be of help.

I don't think anyone can object to providing the Arhemboys link here. After all Market Garden was as much a British/Polish as an American campaign.

Rene

Hi everyone, Market Garden with a twist...…

This week Royal Dutch Mint issued a limited edition Market Garden commemorative coin. Even though I'm not a coin collector (they usually don't stay around too long :D) I will hang on to these (they are legal tender in the Netherlands). What I particularly like about them is that the designer was inspired by different embroidery patterns used in patches. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. What I'd also like to mention is that the first coin was struck by mister Les Fuller (1st Parachute Brigade, 1st Airborne Division) at last weekend's commorations at the Ginkelse Heide.

post-169612-0-85550900-1569511285_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-46170100-1569511295_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-50920100-1569511332_thumb.jpg

Photo: Royal Dutch Mint

Rene

Rene, Thank you for all of the Market Garden photos. It looks like it was a great commemoration and those coins are very well done. I really like how they did the strike of the first coin, very classy!

post-203-0-72802800-1569515133_thumb.jpg

I posted this in a separate thread focusing on the veteran (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/291252-charles-h-rogers-d-day-pathfinder/?hl=rogers), but thought this piece would be appropriate here.

This BA-70 battery box was sent home by Charles H. Rogers (HQ Co., 3rd Bn, 508th PIR), and was censured by Lt. Jack Dittmar. Lt. Dittmar transferred into HQ Co., 3rd Bn, 508th PIR on September 8, 1944. So, unless Rogers sent this box home between 8 September and 17 September, then this box which was full of German souvenirs was sent home from Holland during Market Garden. Rogers was killed in action on 1 October 1944.

Hi everyone, Market Garden with a twist...…

This week Royal Dutch Mint issued a limited edition Market Garden commemorative coin. Even though I'm not a coin collector (they usually don't stay around too long :D) I will hang on to these (they are legal tender in the Netherlands). What I particularly like about them is that the designer was inspired by different embroidery patterns used in patches. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. What I'd also like to mention is that the first coin was struck by mister Les Fuller (1st Parachute Brigade, 1st Airborne Division) at last weekend's commorations at the Ginkelse Heide.

attachicon.gifSAM_7627a.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_7634a.jpg

attachicon.gifmister L. Fuller a.jpg

Photo: Royal Dutch Mint

Rene

Having him strike the first coin is just AWESOME!!

Mikie