Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Back to Jeep business . . . . . . . . . . .

This is a photograph taken at the Willys plant, when looking at it everyone tends to look at the Jeep and features of the Jeep, however take a look at whats around the Jeep. Before that note that this Willys still retains the Willys logo on the rear body but the introduction of the dash-pocket has been made, and still no jerrycan bracket, and no trailer wiring socket.

Taking a look at this photo have you ever noticed the old style car chassis mounted underneath the Willys body, the Jeep body is resting on this chassis raising the body to a workable position for the women workers. Look below the left hand side tail-light opening , there is a steel rail bolted across the chassis and the Jeep body resting on this. The old car chassis is then bolted to a flat dolly with wheels running alongside the rail track, if you look to the right of the woman at the front of the photo you can see the car footstep hanger on the chassis.

The Ford Jeep must have been mounted to some sort of frame-work or something similar as there are two holes located on the front bumper, and two holes on the rear cross-member either side of the rear bumperettes. I have yet to find any photographs of the Ford production line to support this theory, as there has to be a reason for these four holes which the Willys chassis doesn't have.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 05 2019.

.post-344-0-05832200-1568200515_thumb.jpeg

This is a photograph taken at the Willys plant, when looking at it everyone tends to look at the Jeep and features of the Jeep, however take a look at whats around the Jeep. Before that note that this Willys still retains the Willys logo on the rear body but the introduction of the dash-pocket has been made, and still no jerrycan bracket, and no trailer wiring socket.

Taking a look at this photo have you ever noticed the old style car chassis mounted underneath the Willys body, the Jeep body is resting on this chassis raising the body to a workable position for the women workers. Look below the left hand side tail-light opening , there is a steel rail bolted across the chassis and the Jeep body resting on this. The old car chassis is then bolted to a flat dolly with wheels running alongside the rail track, if you look to the right of the woman at the front of the photo you can see the car footstep hanger on the chassis.

The Ford Jeep must have been mounted to some sort of frame-work or something similar as there are two holes located on the front bumper, and two holes on the rear cross-member either side of the rear bumperettes. I have yet to find any photographs of the Ford production line to support this theory, as there has to be a reason for these four holes which the Willys chassis doesn't have.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2577.jpeg

Now please tell me, I'm surely not the only who was (at first) more aware of what is around the Jeep then the actual Jeep itself, am I...………? ^_^

Rene

post-169612-0-10376900-1568305109_thumb.jpg

Today, september 12th, it is officially 75 years ago that US troops from the 30th Infantry Division liberated Mesch (around 15:00) and Noorbeek (around 17:00) in the most southern parts of the Netherlands.

Rene

General Apathy

Now please tell me, I'm surely not the only who was (at first) more aware of what is around the Jeep then the actual Jeep itself, am I...………? ^_^

Rene

Hi Rene, let me crack your coded message for other readers, ' you were more aware of what was around the Jeep than the Jeep ' WOMEN, you were looking at the WOMEN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :love:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 12 2019.

General Apathy

Picture from the front... same girls

Hi Johan, I would say that those are now at least three of the rears that are now featured in the photograph . . . . . . . . . :blush:

Another photo from the same sequence . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

.post-344-0-25702300-1568306592.jpg

General Apathy

Back in the day . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I received these two images I had not seen before taken approximately twenty-five years ago when a group of us were involved in a American History channel documentary about the B-17 & B-24 Bombers of WWII, and all the variations of uniforms worn by the crews.

photo #1, Brian Goodman, Andrew Fletcher, Brad ( I think ), Myself

photo #, Myself, Forgotten name, Brian Goodman, Brad ( I think )

Andrew Fletcher has worked in various capacities on a lot of post 1980's war films, One I do recall is Captain Correli's Mandolin and he was a military webbing supervisor.

.post-344-0-83934300-1568307984.jpeg

.post-344-0-68822400-1568308027.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2577.jpeg

Great set of photos. I'm used to seeing wartime pictures of battered jeeps, sunk in mud and surrounded by equally battered and mud covered soldiers. So it's great to pay tribute to the ladies who assembled them. Amazing that they are wearing what looks like house dresses, kitchen aprons and fashionable shoes.

Mikie

attachicon.gifSAM_7601a.jpg

Today, september 12th, it is officially 75 years ago that US troops from the 30th Infantry Division liberated Mesch (around 15:00) and Noorbeek (around 17:00) in the most southern parts of the Netherlands.

Rene

Wishing the Netherlands whatever the equivalent there is to the French "Vive la Liberte!".

Looking forward to more about the Liberation.

Mikie

Hi Rene, let me crack your coded message for other readers, ' you were more aware of what was around the Jeep than the Jeep ' WOMEN, you were looking at the WOMEN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :love:

Hi Ken, you broke the code indeed.....but on a serious note: it should never be forgotten that all the efforts of these women in all kinds of jobs helped win the war.

post-169612-0-99725100-1568361374_thumb.jpg

Rene

September 13th and 14th 1944: the first major city to be liberated on Dutch soil was the city of Maastricht. This plaque is one of many that commemorates this feat. It was presented to the city of Maastricht by veterans of the 30th Infantry Division in 1974 when they revisited the city.

post-169612-0-74065800-1568369149_thumb.jpg

Rene

Back to the Then and Now shots ^_^

Liberators of the 30th ID welcomed in the area of Maastricht called Wyck.

post-169612-0-01789200-1568369305_thumb.jpg

picture: RHCL Beeldbank, Fotocollectie GAM, nr. 2772

Situation today

post-169612-0-15582900-1568369362_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Rene, many thanks for all the images you have added and look forward to more as the anniversary proceeds, two friends left here this morning in their Jeeps with their wives heading your way to join in the anniversary celebrations.

Ever since I first went to Holland I have always found the Dutch people very welcoming and friendly as in this image taken in 2009 ;) , ( apologies for the quality of the image it has been passed by email several times ).

Danke je wel . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 13 2019.

.post-344-0-85762600-1568377221_thumb.jpg

Hi Rene, many thanks for all the images you have added and look forward to more as the anniversary proceeds, two friends left here this morning in their Jeeps with their wives heading your way to join in the anniversary celebrations.

Ever since I first went to Holland I have always found the Dutch people very welcoming and friendly as in this image taken in 2009 ;) , ( apologies for the quality of the image it has been passed by email several times ).

Danke je wel . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 13 2019.

.attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Thanks Ken, my pleasure and there's more to come. Nice picture!

Rene

Another Then and Now on virtually the same spot although this one has a nasty twist. What's pictured in the Then shot in the so called Wehrmachtsheim. It's a sort of 'rest and relax' spot for Wehrmacht members where they could eat and drink. According to the ledger the Germans took good care of themselves. Amongst the drinks served were beer, wine, liqueur and cognac. Daily consumption of beer was around 250 to 300 glasses; wine 3 to 8 bottles.

On september the 3rd staff of the Wehrmachtsheim left (they probably saw what was coming).

As a nasty souvenir the Germans left a bomb with a time delayed fuse hidden in the piano. That bomb went off after the liberation of Maastricht killing two GI's and wounding three.

post-169612-0-37899100-1568384155_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-09855700-1568384192_thumb.jpg

Rene

Before the arrival of the US troops the Germans for the most part succeeded in blowing up the bridges spanning the river Maas. In the next Then shot you can see the destroyed Wilhelmina bridge. This bridge was for the most part build from stone. That part was gone except for some damaged pillars. What you see in the background is the metal section that was also part of the bridge and was build to make it possible for more modern day shipping to pass the bridge.

post-169612-0-71510700-1568385568_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-23896700-1568385607_thumb.jpg

Rene

Another bridge in close proximity to the Wilhelmina bridge is the St. Servaasbridge (a.k.a. the old bridge). It's origins date back to the 13th century. The Germans also tried to blow this bridge but only managed to severly damage it. As a result it was possible to make it function again with makeshift repairs later on. The consequence of these out of action bridges was that the US troops (117th IR, 30th ID) could not cross the river Maas and proceed to the city centre.

post-169612-0-54949000-1568387042_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-67354100-1568387118_thumb.jpg

Rene

Another Then and Now on virtually the same spot although this one has a nasty twist. What's pictured in the Then shot in the so called Wehrmachtsheim. It's a sort of 'rest and relax' spot for Wehrmacht members where they could eat and drink. According to the ledger the Germans took good care of themselves. Amongst the drinks served were beer, wine, liqueur and cognac. Daily consumption of beer was around 250 to 300 glasses; wine 3 to 8 bottles.

On september the 3rd staff of the Wehrmachtsheim left (they probably saw what was coming).

As a nasty souvenir the Germans left a bomb with a time delayed fuse hidden in the piano. That bomb went off after the liberation of Maastricht killing two GI's and wounding three.

attachicon.gifwyckerbrugstraata.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_7510 (2)a.jpg

Rene

Nice T&N's Rene!

Another bridge in close proximity to the Wilhelmina bridge is the St. Servaasbridge (a.k.a. the old bridge). It's origins date back to the 13th century. The Germans also tried to blow this bridge but only managed to severly damage it. As a result it was possible to make it function again with makeshift repairs later on. The consequence of these out of action bridges was that the US troops (117th IR, 30th ID) could not cross the river Maas and proceed to the city centre.

attachicon.gifSt Servaasbrug.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6369a.jpg

Rene

The bridge damage in the Then picture looks pretty bad, but I'd almost bet that Ken would fly right over it in his jeep, no problem!

Back in the day . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I received these two images I had not seen before taken approximately twenty-five years ago when a group of us were involved in a American History channel documentary about the B-17 & B-24 Bombers of WWII, and all the variations of uniforms worn by the crews.

photo #1, Brian Goodman, Andrew Fletcher, Brad ( I think ), Myself

photo #, Myself, Forgotten name, Brian Goodman, Brad ( I think )

Andrew Fletcher has worked in various capacities on a lot of post 1980's war films, One I do recall is Captain Correli's Mandolin and he was a military webbing supervisor.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_25d6.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_25d9.jpeg

Wow! All kitted up like that, pity there wasn't someplace that needed bombing. Or was getting bombed something done afterwards?

Hi everyone, just a short impression from Eindhoven today. Market Garden commemoration. A large column of vehicles followed a route through the city more or less the same as XXX corps did in 1944.

post-169612-0-94361700-1568487792_thumb.jpg

Rene