Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

All those boots, but not one of them were her size.

Unless the actors are smaller in real life than they look on screen.

Boot selections from Saving Private Ryan . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Mikie, here's my daughter displaying the three styles of boots I had for sale at the end of Saving Private Ryan

( at the time people working on the film referred to it as ' Shaving Ryans Privates ' ) . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 26 2019.

.post-344-0-88724900-1566824274.jpeg

General Apathy

Now heres a collection . . . . . . . . . . . .

Michel Pont ( 87 ) of Chateau de Savigny les Beaunes, Burgundy, France owns a private collection of 110 fighter aircraft, 200 vintage motorcycles and 36 racing cars.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7400513/French-chateau-collection-WARPLANES.html

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 28 2019.

.post-344-0-91475600-1566979678.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . . .

I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

So here is a Chesterfield carton still containing three packs of cigarettes, these have the brown paper wrapper covered in cellophane, no silver foil, the tax label states ' Free of tax, for use only of U.S. military forces including Alaska and Hawaii.

.post-344-0-79126800-1566997866.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Rene, I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

So here is a Camel carton contains five packs of cigarettes, these have the brown paper wrapper, no cellophane, no silver foil, the tax label has 115 as its code number.

.post-344-0-23379500-1566998006.jpeg

General Apathy

I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

Now here's an interesting piece of wartime information I found this morning which I originally found in a carton of Camel cigarettes that were cellophane wrapped, and had no silver foil wrapper.

.post-344-0-93568400-1566998211_thumb.jpeg

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Rene, I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

So here is a Camel carton contains five packs of cigarettes, these have the brown paper wrapper, no cellophane, no silver foil, the tax label has 115 as its code number.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2330.jpeg

You may have sold off The Shoebox, but it seems to have had some babies!

Michel Pont ( 87 ) of Chateau de Savigny les Beaunes, Burgundy, France owns a private collection of 110 fighter aircraft, 200 vintage motorcycles and 36 racing cars.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7400513/French-chateau-collection-WARPLANES.html

.attachicon.gif17766156-7400513-image-a-103_1566951578468.jpeg

...and a friggin CASTLE!

General Apathy

Arnhem soldier famously seen flicking a two finger salute at German cameraman dies aged 97 . . . . . . . . . . .

Sadly Lieutenant Jack Reynolds dies just weeks before the 75th anniversary of the battle at Arnhem, Jack Reynolds was captured and while being marched into captivity flashed a ' rude ' two finger salute at the German army cameraman recording the event.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 30 2019.
.post-344-0-97727800-1567148492_thumb.jpeg

Now here's an interesting piece of wartime information I found this morning which I originally found in a carton of Camel cigarettes that were cellophane wrapped, and had no silver foil wrapper.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_232b.jpeg

Hi Ken, that is a little Gem of information! These small items really add to the collecting interest, and wartime history of material shortages!

Cheers Graham

Arnhem soldier famously seen flicking a two finger salute at German cameraman dies aged 97 . . . . . . . . . . .

Sadly Lieutenant Jack Reynolds dies just weeks before the 75th anniversary of the battle at Arnhem, Jack Reynolds was captured and while being marched into captivity flashed a ' rude ' two finger salute at the German army cameraman recording the event.

Very sad he couldn't witness the 75th Anniversary. He has left his mark on wartime history of course with that gesture, and will be remembered... RIP Jack..

.attachicon.gif17766156-7400513-image-a-103_1566951578468.jpeg

and a nice little runway for landing and take off running up to the bridge over the moat…………………. :P

Rene

Hi Ken, sad news indeed. It's one of my favourite pictures from the Arnhem battle even though for the persons involved it surely wasn't pleasant at all.

Rene

General Apathy

You may have sold off The Shoebox, but it seems to have had some babies!

Hi Mikie and Rene, thank you both for using the same comment, always remember ' it ain't over, till it's over ' theres still the odd pieces tucked away here and there.

.post-344-0-26669600-1567177388.jpeg

General Apathy

Very sad he couldn't witness the 75th Anniversary. He has left his mark on wartime history of course with that gesture, and will be remembered... RIP Jack..

Hi Graham, wondered for many years who the soldier was in the photograph, pleased that he survived and lived a long life.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, sad news indeed. It's one of my favourite pictures from the Arnhem battle even though for the persons involved it surely wasn't pleasant at all.

Rene

Hi Rene, I think it has to be one of the most iconic photos of the battle for Arnhem, and shows bravery even in defeat.

I know I have shown this armband before but I was pleased to be given it by an Arnhem paratroop veteran who captured it while fighting there.

.post-344-0-95840500-1567265883_thumb.jpg

normaninvasion

Thanks for sharing this. What a great image and man, who had a "pair" made of steel.

Hi Rene, I think it has to be one of the most iconic photos of the battle for Arnhem, and shows bravery even in defeat.

I know I have shown this armband before but I was pleased to be given it by an Arnhem paratroop veteran who captured it while fighting there.

.attachicon.gifIMG_3902.JPG

Great item, Ken and with that provenance it's priceless.

Rene

Épave sous marines...........while Normandy has its dedicated museum to underwater wrecks we (the Dutch) have someting that's in the same vein..

………………….. :D. Came across this one while out and about. It comes with barnacles attached.

Rene

post-169612-0-89104300-1567437603_thumb.jpg

Épave sous marines...........while Normandy has its dedicated museum to underwater wrecks we (the Dutch) have someting that's in the same vein..

.. :D. Came across this one while out and about. It comes with barnacles attached.

Rene

attachicon.gif SAM_7537a.jpg

It's a biseacle!

Mikie

General Apathy

Thanks for sharing this. What a great image and man, who had a "pair" made of steel.

Hi Normaninvasion, many thanks for honouring the memory of this WWII serviceman . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 05 2019.

General Apathy

Great item, Ken and with that provenance it's priceless.

Rene

Hi Rene, American was always my main collecting interest, British secondly, and then German if pieces came along but not actively searched for, so it was very pleasing to receive it from a veteran I knew and with the provenance of the item.

General Apathy

Well this highly amused me . . . . . . . . . .

This morning I received a link from a friend regarding metal detecting in the Ardennes, I watched that link and obviously a few more that were suggested after that video.

The third video amused me as the person who posted previous detecting links started this one with showing his Youtube silver award for receiving 100.000 hits . . . . . . . . . note across the bottom he states ' On to the million hits '. Well this thread passed a million hits some months back and we are just 18,000 short of hitting another 100.000.

Many thanks to all the forum friends that contribute, and to members who read this thread.

.post-344-0-82377700-1567676986.jpeg

General Apathy

Well this highly amused me . . . . . . . . . . ( oops I forgot to add the Youtube Silver award photo )

This morning I received a link from a friend regarding metal detecting in the Ardennes, I watched that link and obviously a few more that were suggested after that video.

The third video amused me as the person who posted previous detecting links started this one with showing his Youtube silver award for receiving 100.000 hits . . . . . . . . . note across the bottom he states ' On to the million hits '. Well this thread passed a million hits some months back and we are just 18,000 short of hitting another 100.000.

Many thanks to all the forum friends that contribute, and to members who read this thread.

.post-344-0-39076700-1567677157_thumb.jpeg