Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

River find . . . . . . . . .

A friend fishing pulled this up out of a local river, it's hard to totally identify due to missing parts and the additional long tube attached to the side, it may well be from an aircraft and not an infantry weapon.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 18 2019.

I think it might be a French REIBEL MAC Machinegun...

General Apathy

apologies, behind in catching up . . . . . . . . . .

thanks everyone for all the posts in the last two days.

Yesterday I began to feel steering wheel vibration and a lumpy ride, so this morning I have been busy checking the car over and spotted that the inside wall of the rear tyre ( tire / pneu, three spellings as its now an International readership ) had failed and could possibly be dangerous, nothing to be seen on the outside wall of the tyre.

There are two sections of the side wall that have failed like this, and I thought I would raise the safety issue with forum friends as I know not all of them are slow, careful drivers such as myself.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2019.

.post-344-0-60642600-1561038100_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Monument honoring the 29th Division's 116th Infantry at the Vierville draw on Omaha beach...

This statue is a smaller replica of the one at the National D-Day memorial in Bedford, VA...

post-92-0-38472900-1561038219_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Johan, this is the closest example that I can find, it features that inverted ' Camels ' hump on the underside of the body ??

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20 2019.

.post-344-0-72609200-1561038773_thumb.jpeg

One of 4 WW2 US Army Bicycles we rode in Normandy..

My 1943 Westfield Columbia at the National Guard monument built atop a German bunker on Omaha Beach, 6-6-2019

I may have mentioned it before, but Dad sent home a Japanese folding bicycle from one of the islands he was on. But it never made it. It was one of the many things he sent home that never arrived. But it was the one thing it seemed he really wanted to have. I would have loved to have a chance at it myself. With a couple of pontoons attached, I could have ridden it to Normandy and joined you for a ride!

apologies, behind in catching up . . . . . . . . . .

thanks everyone for all the posts in the last two days.

Yesterday I began to feel steering wheel vibration and a lumpy ride, so this morning I have been busy checking the car over and spotted that the inside wall of the rear tyre ( tire / pneu, three spellings as its now an International readership ) had failed and could possibly be dangerous, nothing to be seen on the outside wall of the tyre.

There are two sections of the side wall that have failed like this, and I thought I would raise the safety issue with forum friends as I know not all of them are slow, careful drivers such as myself.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1c45.jpeg

Glad that you found it before it could spoil your day. Sorry if I don't recall, but what tires do you use? Are they some kind of custom vintage jeep tires or something off the shelf?

General Apathy

Glad that you found it before it could spoil your day. Sorry if I don't recall, but what tires do you use? Are they some kind of custom vintage jeep tires or something off the shelf?

Hi Mikie, this is on my Volvo not the Jeep, as the Volvo has top speed of 165mph / 260 kph it uses low-profile high-speed 235/40-18 tyres ( tires ). Need to find a replacement for it today.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Johan, I heard from Piet today that he now believes it is the French 7.5mm MAC 1934A fixed mounting aircraft machine-gun that he found.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21 2019.

.post-344-0-24208200-1561113872_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-15740900-1561113901.jpg

Johan

Nice report

I always enjoy your additions !!!!

Ken

Likewise of course!

I love the jerry bucket

Really smart use of old war stuff !

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Johan, I heard from Piet today that he now believes it is the French 7.5mm MAC 1934A fixed mounting aircraft machine-gun that he found.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1aed.jpeg

.attachicon.giff695f6520eb67ebba5355c6657cc6529.jpg

That's a fantastic find! If it came from an aircraft, I wonder if there is a wreck. Does the elongated charging handle make it an aircraft model or is that the normal length of the handle? During my in-depth research on this weapon (at least 30 seconds of reading a Wiki page) it mentioned that this was also used in light tanks and fortifications.

General Apathy

Important historical farm put up for sale during 75th anniversary year . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Marmion farm at Ravenoville was advertised for sale earlier this year and appears to have been sold since I saw the advert in a property store window back in February

This is the farm where the well known photograph was taken in WWII of a group of US paratroopers stood holding a captured Swastika flag.

.post-344-0-12975100-1561153248_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-94095400-1561153268_thumb.png

General Apathy

Important historical house put up for sale during 75th anniversary year . . . . . . . . . . . .

This large building in Carentan shown in the advert below was used during WWII for the German 6th Fallschirmjager Regimental headquarters, once the town was captured it became the headquarters for 101st General Maxwell D. Taylor, I believe it is still currently for sale.

.post-344-0-00000800-1561153691_thumb.jpeg

Important historical farm put up for sale during 75th anniversary year . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Marmion farm at Ravenoville was advertised for sale earlier this year and appears to have been sold since I saw the advert in a property store window back in February

This is the farm where the well known photograph was taken in WWII of a group of US paratroopers stood holding a captured Swastika flag.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1c54.jpeg

.attachicon.gifphoto.PNG

Wow! If we sold our house, we could totally buy one of those and have a nice nest egg left over. Lafayette, here I come! But guess I'd need to brush up on my French, though. And the commute would be a killer.

Important historical house put up for sale during 75th anniversary year . . . . . . . . . . . .

This large building in Carentan shown in the advert below was used during WWII for the German 6th Fallschirmjager Regimental headquarters, once the town was captured it became the headquarters for 101st General Maxwell D. Taylor, I believe it is still currently for sale.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1c51.jpeg

The ultimate gift for any airborne collector...………………….without the 101st connection it would probably cost half :lol:

Rene

This gives 'Hang on the washing on the Siegfried Line' a whole new dimension ;-)

Looks like someone is going commando ............................ ^_^

Rene

Loadsamoney..........on my way back home from running some errands I spotted this nice collection of parked 'hardware'. Although I'm not a Ferrari fan there were some nice examples, for instance the 308 GTS (to me forever linked to the 80's series Magnum PI). Unfortunately there wasn't a (Ferrari) Dino. But then again we had one of those a couple of years ago in virtually the same spot...……. -_-

post-169612-0-90985000-1561207838_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-68975700-1561207858_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-23500100-1561207887_thumb.jpg

..........on my way back home from running some errands I spotted this nice collection of parked 'hardware'. Although I'm not a Ferrari fan there were some nice examples, for instance the 308 GTS

Rene,

I have loved Ferrari's my entire life!! The 308 GTS is my favorite! I would have been drooling all over that street.

...Kat